What’s your “why isn’t this pedal more popular?!!!” pedal?

BMX

Silver Supporting Member
For me it's the MXR Distortion + (especially ones modded for more volume). I've played most overdrive pedal types and this is still my favorite (currently using a KO Amps D+ which is a modded Dist.+ with more volume and adds a tone knob). I've played Klones, KOT, Boss OD-3 and SD-1, Fulldrive II, Nobels odr-1/Wampler Belle, TS-808 style, TC Spark Booster, Barber Gain Changer, Rat, Fuzzes etc. (and they're all great), but for playing 60s/70s/80s/90s music a good Dist. + can go from a sweet overdrive to a good crunchy sound and everything in between. If I can only pick 1 overdrive this is what I'd grab. Add a boost, delay and tuner and you're good to go for most gigs.

Alejandro

We all know that the TS-9 is either loved or hated.
For fans it is undoubtedly popular and necessary. I have it

But I don't understand why the Ibanez TSL Super Tube (Screamer) isn't more popular.
With its extra and useful "Bite" mid boost control, you have more versatility.!
and... dual JRC 4558D opamp

I have had it for many years, I prefer it and it has never failed like the TS-9
IMO have a little more gain and sustain than the TS-9 because you can push the mids harder

stlbg.jpg

Liarparadox

CP-1x. Always disappoints me when people ask about compression pedals to buy and this isn't mentioned quickly.

Last edited:

Daka3

Tech 21 Boost DLA - my favorite, but no one ever talks about them.

Tech 21 British - the GOAT MIAB that you never heard about. Amp-like Marshall tones all day. Heck, it IS an amp!

Dunlop Rotovibe - my secret weapon. All under the radar, it seems.

It’s good to have your own private tools!

scolfax

As soon as I plugged into the Kingsley Harlot v3 I knew I found my holy grail. It sounds like my tube amp and has that spongy feel. I like it so much I totally bypassed my preamp using a JHS Little Black Amp Box.

Even in the big Kingsley thread it feels underrepresented to me.

Alejandro

Tech 21 British - the GOAT MIAB that you never heard about. Amp-like Marshall tones all day. Heck, it IS an amp!

I would like to know more about the Tech 21 British.
I have read that it is very good direct to DAW, but how does it respond to the amp input, like a regular pedal?

Dontchaknow

Silver Supporting Member
Dunlop JHW1 fuzz. Tiny footprint, GE and Silicon (Ge sounds best but Si is great option in weather), selectable buffer. Everything a fuzz pedal needs to actually be giggable and sounds great in a board friendly package.

Silkrodamus

As soon as I plugged into the Kingsley Harlot v3 I knew I found my holy grail. It sounds like my tube amp and has that spongy feel. I like it so much I totally bypassed my preamp using a JHS Little Black Amp Box.

Even in the big Kingsley thread it feels underrepresented to me.

You're right....I can't think of too many notable guitarists that use Kingsley pedals.

Slo Lerner

I wonder why the Ibanez BB9 Bottom Booster isn't more popular than it is. I got one in a trade awhile back knowing nothing about it. It has a lot of boost on tap and has a nice warmth to it in the lower frequencies. Its name is very accurate, it definitely boosts the bottom end. I'm guessing it would be useful for bass as well. Not sure why it isn't mentioned more often.

Daka3

I would like to know more about the Tech 21 British.
I have read that it is very good direct to DAW, but how does it respond to the amp input, like a regular pedal?
Well, that's how I use mine live. It's on my pedaboard like a regular dirt pedal, and, on this particular board, I have it on all the time as a base tone shaper. It cleans up to a semi-clean, pushed tone when I roll off, and it goes into Plexi territory dirtwise, when I dime the guitar. Very responsive. Best always-on dirtbox/toneshaper I know of.

Caveat: The controls are extremely responsive. This means that bad tones can also be dialed in. You have to work with it and find your settings. Then, IMO, it shines like no other similar units I know of.

Voodoo Blues

It seems like everyone on TGP hates Vertex but their Dynamic Distortion is amazing. I’ve had mine for years and love it, sounds amazing!

nl128

Gold Supporting Member
I like coming back to this thread from time to time and being reminded of some pedals I’d like to try or at least find out more about.

I’ve mentioned this pedal recently in one or two other similar threads, but I am a BIG fan of the Shoals Overdrive by Heavy Lid Effects. Big and open across a wide sweep of mid-frequencies, lows are pulled in nice and tight, and highs can have some interesting character and bite. The Gain and Drive knobs work interactively together, giving you even more options. Really a cool, roots-y, Americana type sound.

The shoals is killer.

Here’s a thread I started back in 2015 about the shoals.
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...r-heavy-lid-effects-shoals-overdrive.1547333/

Joel from chase bliss and Robert keeley chime in and talk about how much they love it .
I always thought it was weird heavy lid never caught on.

I still own it and love it . It’s one of my longest owned overdrives.

billbfoot

Gold Supporting Member
The shoals is killer.

Here’s a thread I started back in 2015 about the shoals.
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...r-heavy-lid-effects-shoals-overdrive.1547333/

Joel from chase bliss and Robert keeley chime in and talk about how much they love it .
I always thought it was weird heavy lid never caught on.

I still own it and love it . It’s one of my longest owned overdrives.
Ah yes! I do indeed remember coming across that thread and reading through it. And your post-honeymoon “NPD” write-up is really spot-on. I also remember reading Joel’s remarks about the Shoals, which were pretty impactful.

Not sure why Heavy Lid Effects and/or the Shoals OD didn’t catch on more. But your review and Joel’s comments at the time (back in 2015) both point out how the Shoals is def NOT a transparent drive pedal (which was a big part of my attraction to it, actually). Seems like in 2014, though, when the Memphis (soon to be re-named the Shoals) first came out, I think… the proliferation of transparent OD’s galore was really at an especially frenzied peak. Maybe the Shoals was drowned out by all the continued buzz abt the “next best” transparent drive coming out on an almost weekly basis… rather than standing out on its own (as it indeed does does so well) in a way that lots of folks seemed to miss.

Perhaps that, plus it never seemed to make the larger YT gear demo circuit the way the big boys seem to all hit the many demo channels within a single 48-hour period these days when they’re first released. Not sure… but the Shoals is def a fantastic pedal. Glad I have mine!

nl128

Gold Supporting Member
Ah yes! I do indeed remember coming across that thread and reading through it. And your post-honeymoon “NPD” write-up is really spot-on. I also remember reading Joel’s remarks about the Shoals, which were pretty impactful.

Not sure why Heavy Lid Effects and/or the Shoals OD didn’t catch on more. But your review and Joel’s comments at the time (back in 2015) both point out how the Shoals is def NOT a transparent drive pedal (which was a big part of my attraction to it, actually). Seems like in 2014, though, when the Memphis (soon to be re-named the Shoals) first came out, I think… the proliferation of transparent OD’s galore was really at an especially frenzied peak. Maybe the Shoals was drowned out by all the continued buzz abt the “next best” transparent drive coming out on an almost weekly basis… rather than standing out on its own (as it indeed does does so well) in a way that lots of folks seemed to miss.

Perhaps that, plus it never seemed to make the larger YT gear demo circuit the way the big boys seem to all hit the many demo channels within a single 48-hour period these days when they’re first released. Not sure… but the Shoals is def a fantastic pedal. Glad I have mine!

That’s a good point with the transparent overdrive craze . There was the next best “even more transparent OD” coming out every other day. I remember thinking if I hear one person say “transparent OD” , I’m going to vomit lol.

Trick Fall

I liked the Boos RVB a lot. The only reason it moved on was because I wanted a reverb with presets. I'm always surprised when the Tech21 Hot British doesn't come up in MIAB threads. That thing turns my DRRI into a Marshall.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom