When a guitar picks *you*

Rhino x3

Last April I went to Guitar center to try out amps for my birthday present. NOT looking for a guitar, I have never played an SG that I liked, just not an SG guy (or so I thought) I've been listening to a lot of Derek Trucks lately so just for grins I picked up a 2011 SG standard to try out guitars. Bam!! It just felt perfect,loved the neck, feel, sound , color.....everything was just "right" . This is only the second time in 45 years of guitar playing that this has happend to me, the first being my '72 Strat that I got 20 years ago. Of course I rewired it '50s style and changed the neck pickup because changing stuff is just what I do, the changes were not "necessary. This was just a run of the mill standard. I still have no idea if I'm an SG guy, all I know is that *this* SG is perfect for me. I'm scared to try another SG because if it turns out I actually *am* an SG guy it could get expensive. Anyone else experience this?

xjojox

Tardis-dwelling wanker
Gold Supporting Member
the_wand_chooses_the_wizard__mr__potter_by_pegasisterxiane13-d7w54kr.png

rhinocaster

Gold Supporting Member
I hear you OP....my recent Suhr antique Tele chose me. Its the last one i pulled off the wall at the shop as it's a 3 color sunburst and I'm not a fan of that look...

Still, with the gloss lacquer on the neck and the tones the guitar offers up, it's as close to a total vintage experience I've had from any modern guitar.

It wouldn't let me leave without it!

The Opera Panther

Silver Supporting Member
Yup, I had that happen. Went to the local shop to get the nut on my Strat worked on. Played a Collings I35lc while I waited. 90 minutes later, I walked out with my Strat and the Collings. Had to have it.

Mikhael

In the 80s, I was wandering around a small shop in Cocoa Beach, FL, and a red Hamer Chaparral jumped at me, saying, "I'm sleek, sexy, and you know I'm yours". She was right. I've had her ever since...

stevieboy

Clouds yell at me
Gold Supporting Member
So guitars have HAS? (Human Acquisition Syndrome)

I've had it happen, I expect most of us have.

I think this happens every time you see a NGD thread here with claims of it being the best [insert brand/model] guitar ever only to see that same guitar in the classifieds three months later.

Sometimes a guitar gets carried away and makes an unwise pick. They're only human, er... something.

I find as I get older and more experienced guitars learn to pick me more wisely. Not sure what's going on there but it seems to work that way.

Rhino x3

Well, I could be convinced to sell it...... for...one *million* dollars! (In best Dr evil voice)

xjojox

Tardis-dwelling wanker
Gold Supporting Member
Once upon a time in the 90's a shop near me got a Hamer Vintage S. Those guitars were solid flamed maple and the one in question looked like this:
mnmaadn6hogs1rx1lntv.jpg

I stopped and (somewhat loudly) admired the wood in the presence of my then GF, who was an amazing vocalist and multi-instrumentalist... but not a guitarist. I would never have bought it, a solid maple guitar would not have been something I would have been interested in. I was just moaning over the wood, you don't often see a solid block of flame maple like that (and the one in question was considerably flamier than the pic above).

She gave me that guitar for Xmas.

I was floored, I was touched, I was humbled. She didn't have a lot of money at the time so she really put herself out to buy it. But I was also dismayed that she confused my admiration of the wood with really digging the guitar. I'll admit that I liked it better than I thought I would, it wasn't as brittle sounding as I expected. But I certainly didn't love it. And of course, I couldn't tell her that, and I certainly couldn't flip it for the duration of that relationship, which lasted a few years (at least a year too long... the cray-cray eventually bloomed LOL). I had to smile and play it for at least part of every gig, most of which she shared with me (how many threads have there been about male guitarists getting involved with female vocalists... but I digress).

So I guess that guitar picked me, because it caused me to make sex noises over the wood... but sex ain't love.
It lasted not much longer than the relationship.

Last edited:

thx712517

I had a great experience trying an SG even though it was the furthest thing from my mind. Light weight, good sound, best neck I've ever played. Why did I sell? The neck-divingest sumbitch I ever owned and I play standing up.

VaughnC

Silver Supporting Member
This "guitar picked me" thing hasn't happened to me much in my 50 years in the game as a weekend gigging warrior. But, not too long ago, I was smitten by a new Baja Tele I stumbled upon at my local dealer when I wasn't even looking to buy a guitar ;). I just could not walk out of the store without that guitar...and it remains my favorite, go-to couch guitar...and I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Strat guy. So, sometimes you just never know when a guitar will rape you ;).

Guitarworks

I think this happens every time you see a NGD thread here with claims of it being the best [insert brand/model] guitar ever only to see that same guitar in the classifieds three months later.

Yeah, it turns out they were only renting the guitar and didnt know it. I think a lot of folks re-label 'living expenses emergency money' as 'guitar money', then realize they should've just left it as emergency money when a living expense emergency hits 2 or 3 months later, because there never seems to be enough money to cover both. So up for sale the guitar goes.

IceTre

That's definitely happened to me a few times. It happened a couple years ago when I saw a MIM Thinline Tele at Guitar Center. Those were not on my shopping list. But I saw it on the wall and she called out to me. I played the guitar and loved it.

It happened more recently, last August. I was at the Folks Festival in Lyons, Colorado. The Denver Folklore Center has a booth there every year, with Taylor reps. I wandered in with a guy who I had met there. The Taylor rep handed me a 714 but I knew those were $3000, so I put it back and picked up a 414ce, with a price tag of $2200. The back and side wood were Ovangkol. I found myself liking this guitar. I handed it to my friend and asked him to play it while I sat across from him so I could hear it. It sounded good. I realized I was falling for it, so I quickly left. I have a Martin and a Gibson, and have no business spending $2200 on another acoustic guitar.

When I got back home, I went to the Taylor website and read up on the Taylors, and Ovangkol. I also saw that they had just put out a 414 with Rosewood back and sides. I'd always wanted a Rosewood Taylor. I played a friend's older Taylor at a song circle at the festival, and it was fantastic.

Well, the Denver Folklore Center is about a mile from my home in Denver. I checked their website and they had a Rosewood 414. So I rode there on my bike. I deliberately rode my bike instead of my car so I wouldn't be able to take one home. I played the Rosewood 414, and it was ok. Out of curiousity, I asked to compare it to the Ovangkol 414. It was the same one I had played at the festival. She was waiting for me. I went back and forth, but I liked the Ovangkol better. It was richer sounding, with better midrange. So I rode the bike home.

I couldn't keep her off my mind. I finally told myself: ok, if you sell the Martin, you can buy her. So I drove back to the store the next day and bought her. The love affair hasn't worn off. I still love playing her. I named her Sheila because she's so sexy.

But I haven't sold the Martin.

bgmacaw

"Fantastic guitar in minty condition. Plays like butta! But, in the end, I just couldn't bond with it. Reasonably priced at just $______ ($250 above average retail price)"

klatuu

About 6 years ago I went out shopping for an acoustic. I played everything I could and a Goodall tried it's best to come home with me. Best acoustic guitar I've ever played by far. I couldn't justify the expense and brought home a Taylor 814, and it's a fine guitar, but that Goodall was perfection. I got the Taylor out the door for $2800, but the Goodall would have been $4400 plus tax. That was the best they would do on it. Sometimes I wonder if I made a mistake.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom