When and where to start with child? 5 year old and drums

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by BluesMan75, Feb 4, 2015.

1. BluesMan75

BluesMan75 Supporting Member

My oldest is almost 5. He wants to play drums over guitar or piano (I play guitar, mom plays piano). We spend about 1/2 hour in GC a few months ago and he gravitated toward the digital drum units (I may have the lingo wrong).

Anyway, what age should he start lessons? Also what is best for a drum kit for him. I don't wat to get an acoustic set because it will drive momma nuts, so I am fine with dropping a couple hundred on a digital set.

Anyone with young kids who play? I don't have any illusions that he will be in n stage with Brad Paisley playing Hot for Teacher, but if any of you have tips or advice I would appreciate it.

I know not to force him or pressure him. I would personally prefer he start with piano ad then graduate to guitar, but if he likes the drums (or the tuba for that matter) then I am all for it. He is young so obviously the interst can change.

2. ZeyerGTR

ZeyerGTR Supporting Member

I'm interested in this thread. My 6 year old really likes drums, but I don't think he's ready - his attention span would make lessons difficult and frustrating right now. We encourage him to have fun on drums (and piano) - we take him to drum circles, play toy and hand drums around the house, I casually show him the "right" way to hold a stick, etc. I would like him to play drums, but when he's ready, so we're evaluating year-by-year. For piano, similar.

IMHO the "right" age depends on the child - yours might be completely ready at 5. Can he sit through a 30 minute lesson and pay attention?

3. JonR

JonR Member

Obviously he likes drums. He's five! You hit them and make a noise! What's not to like! All 5-year-old kids like banging drums! (There's probably something wrong with them if they don't...)
    Other musical instruments are too complicated. Or rather, when you bang those, adults tend to complain - "that's not how you play them!" With drums, it IS ;).

I agree with Zeyer: whatever you get him, let him play with him in his own way, in his own time. No lessons - although you could occasionally help him with things like keeping a steady beat.
    You'll know if it would help to progress to lessons in a year or so, if he maintains his interest, and spends more time drumming than anything else.
    It could just be another toy - which is fine, but you could waste your money on lessons (and actually put him off playing) if that's the case.
    IOW, there has to be a foundation of personal drive from him, so he can see lessons as a way of helping him along, and not a way of telling him to do stuff he's not bothered about.

As with learning any musical instrument, the word "play" is crucial... ;) It's not "work".
    The fact you and his mom are both musicians is a great start, because he'll see playing an instrument as a perfectly normal part of life - not something "special" or "difficult".

4. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

Where to start a five year old?

Katy Perry, kids love her. The super bowl taught me that. lol

Seriously, listening to music is the best place to start. Turn her on to music through hearing and listening. It worked with my kid, now 24 and a musician.

5. BluesMan75

BluesMan75 Supporting Member

Thanks for the responses. My son has been kinda obsessed with Pink Floyd for the past year. He actually wants to watch old YouTube concert videos of Floyd instead of cartoons sometimes and brings this up all by himself (although he things Roger Waters' name is Pink), so I think he has the bug. Perhaps PF is just soothing to him because he HATES Metallica or anything aggressive. When he was younger I bought him a mini Squier Strat so he wouldn't touch my guitars but he is interested in the bongo drums at home and when we go to GC he just wants to play the drums. Perhaps it is just the age, but perhaps not.

Our local music lesson place will only offer piano lessons for his age, which is why I was wondering about drumming.

6. Fretsalot

Fretsalot Member

Don't know where you are at, but there are drum schools in/around Seattle. You might check around for the same in your area.

Check Craigslist... I remember there are jr-sized kits available for kids his age. Don't know how expensive they are, but if they are reasonable, it would probably be a good first kit since it's scaled to his size. I always flinch a little when I see a kid/small-statured adult playing an instrument that is cumbersome in size, when other sized choices are available.

Good luck, have fun,

Fretsalot/Scott

7. straightblues

straightblues Member

Start playing with him. Him on drums you on guitar. My son could keep perfect time at 4 years old. Whenever I am playing on the couch he is drumming next to me. Get him a drum practice pad or a bucket and a set of sticks.

8. 0xeneye

0xeneye Supporting Member

I friend of mine got his 6 yo a Pulse 5 piece drum set (about $250) thats a pretty good starter kit.

9. CactusWren

CactusWren Member

I made my 6 year old start taking classical piano lessons 3 years ago. She has hated them almost from day one, with lots of crying interspersed with rare moments of delight. Because I am a musician and fairly consistent, she has improved and her teacher considers her among the most advanced students for her age he has had. A year or two ago, she started playing ukulele, which she prefers because it is just chords and singing. She can now play 6 songs in 3 keys, can play in arpeggios, knows a simple picking exercise, and is learning strums and chunks. Recently, she has been asking to play our ukulele-bass, which I think she likes because she considers it even easier than uke. The whole time, she has been singing along with most of the notes she plays, which has helped her sense of pitch so that musicians notice and compliment her singing intonation. Every time we go to GC, she likes to show off on the pianos, but would prefer to spend her time with the drumkits! I guess maybe I'll spring for one someday--maybe after we get the house soundproofed. In any case, there certainly is a risk making them do something they don't like, but people often start liking something once they have obtained skill and notice they are better at it than other people.

By the way, her favorite song is "Roar".