• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

When are you at your most musically creative?

When are you at your most musically creative?

• 12 midnight - 6am

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • 6am - 12 noon

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • 12 noon - 6pm

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • 6pm - 12midnight

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • When it rains

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Winter

• Spring

• Summer

• Autumn

• Never

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters

MorphineNoir

Silver Supporting Member
It can be a time of year, time of day or even marked by a certain event but, when do you feel you are at your most creative?

For me, late at night is the time I feel the most creative -- I had that feeling about an hour ago, plugged in the guitar, plugged in my headphones, turned on some mood lighting and played -- by the end of the hour I had created the start of a new song

orourke

Silver Supporting Member
Accept for a few years in the 1980’s when my band had a record deal I’ve had to have a day job while trying to write music. But last year I had three months off for lockdown and decided to do an album. I found I really hit my stride around 3:00 to 4:00 in the afternoon. It seemed a strange time to want to get going but it’s just how it worked for me.

MorphineNoir

Silver Supporting Member
Accept for a few years in the 1980’s when my band had a record deal I’ve had to have a day job while trying to write music. But last year I had three months off for lockdown and decided to do an album. I found I really hit my stride around 3:00 to 4:00 in the afternoon. It seemed a strange time to want to get going but it’s just how it worked for me.

Interesting, I was not expecting mid-afternoon

Turi

Time doesn't seem to matter, I vastly prefer the dark though.
Tend to be more creative the darker it is, lol.

Jazzandmore

Platinum Supporting Member
When noodling vaguely around a concept or set of chords I’m working on. Sometimes I just morph into other lines or chord ideas that I never would have come up with while trying to improvise or play the chords as part of a known song.

supergenius365

Silver Supporting Member
I was in a band for a year or two and almost all our songs were written on the spot at rehearsal. There was incredible freedom to explore and introduce ideas. As a singer, I could stand at the mic and just do stream of consciousness lyrics until something cohesive finally appeared. That was the most creative time of my life, and it all happened on Thursdays after 7:00 p.m..

I write songs for my current band, but they have to come in pretty full formed before the band attempts them.

Strummerfan

When I was working with a band that had a very good chemistry, and we gave up song writing individually to spend time writing in jams. We would bring in riffs and song ideas, jam on them as a group, record it and decide what parts we liked and what we didn't. After two years of members bringing in complete songs, we started setting aside the last hour of rehearsal to write as a group and that was when our own sound truly began to develop, although it did lead to some very long rehearsal sessions.

nmiller

Drowning in lap steels
My best ideas seem to come to me when I'm in the shower and there's no way to write them down or record them.

M

Member 45810

I have a really hard time sitting down and writing. In other words, I'm really not the type of guy that can force myself to write and be creative. It never works and I end-up with formulaic stuff I've done before.
When it strikes it's great but it can be anywhere at any time.
It's also why I'm really not a prolific writer.

saltbird

The morning time by far. The earlier the better, and the closer to noon I get the more the creativity wanes. When I play first thing in the morning it really helps me think outside the box and approach things differently than I typically do. I also, for better or for worse, tend to play cleaner in the morning and I think it's because my ears are more sensitive to louder noises.

It's almost uncanny how reliable this is. If I'm struggling with coming up with a part, I'll get up early to work on it, and I'll often have an epiphany, or at least make notable progress. I started getting up an hour earlier around 5:00am on work days just to get an hour of guitar in beforehand, and while it was obviously more difficult getting up earlier at first, it's been one of the best things I've done in recent history. Having a productive guitar session first thing also puts me in a better mood when tackling the day. By the end of the day I seem to lose some focus and want to noodle around or just work on technique or learning licks from songs I like, which can still be productive to a certain degree.

I'll also say that the afternoon is the worst. I almost can't bring myself to even practice during this time of day and I often wonder why. I think at least part of it is that it's the time of day when everybody seems to be out doing things and I get FOMO, or a general feeling that I shouldn't be sitting around inside.

Rainy days also spike musical creativity enough to where it can somewhat cancel out the afternoon effect I experience. It's safe to say that rainy mornings are ideal for me.

I’ve written some of my best songs in the morning before work. Possibly having a short time frame helps with getting into focus.
I consistently have the same experience. Conversely, if I have a day off with no other obligations, I'm more likely to have noodling tendencies and not get nearly as much done as I hope for.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom