• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

When big name player plays sloppy solo it's acceptable, but us...

T92780

I like Gary Clark Jr., but listening right now to his When My Train Train Pulls In, his outro solo would be deemed as mistake ridden, drunk garage band like jamming, etc if I, a home hack played it, but if a pro does it, it's deemed as good, acceptable, etc.

If I posted that solo as a no name, would you be saying "killer", "great raw emotion", etc?

dhdfoster

Gold Supporting Member
Do whatever you want and say your avante garde and your solos are expressions of impressionism.

larimar

I like Gary Clark Jr., but listening right now to his When My Train Train Pulls In, his outro solo would be deemed as mistake ridden, drunk garage band like jamming, etc if I, a home hack played it, but if a pro does it, it's deemed as good, acceptable, etc.

If I posted that solo as a no name, would you be saying "killer", "great raw emotion", etc?

Did someone recently reject your playing or something? :bong

ledzep618

Yeah, Gary Clark is cool if you're unfamiliar with Hendrix and SRV. He's really quite a bland rehash of those two. I think he has merit in that he is engaging a younger crowd though. He is quite sloppy on album though which I don't get.

larimar

No, they can't, I'm a self proclaimed home hack.

Ha!

IDK... I think presentation has a lot to do with it. The Clark tune for example... I had never heard it before and went and took a listen...so I was like.... It's cool....nothing that really grabbed me.....ya, Blues rock stuff...you know it's cool.

Now.... if you had built him all up with say that wiki' write up they have of him.....I would have NOT expected to hear a tune like that.

stevieboy

Clouds yell at me
Gold Supporting Member
No, they can't, I'm a self proclaimed home hack.

So what you're asking is, if you did something that you will never do, how would the rest of us react? Kind of hard to answer that. But you've deemed it as as mistake ridden, drunk garage band like jamming, that doesn't make it so, that's just, like, your opinion man.

What version are you talking about? I've got the Crossroads version I'm listening to on Youtube right now. Sounds great so far, haven't gotten to the outro. But if you could set it up with what I've heard so far, yeah, I might say the same things about you that I would say about GC Jr.

Okay, it's over. Killer, and great raw emotion.

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member

Just listened to it. Not hearing all these mistakes and drunk garbage that you're hearing. Is this the version you're referring to? Just sounds like a good, energetic jam to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc5enXwfFwo

Fuimus Troes

Jimmy Page is unavailable for comment.

Shame on you. Page in his prime, late-60's to early/mid-70's, before the heroin took over, was a machine. His phrasing and dynamics were amazing. Think of how different all his classic solos were, and how he always played for the song -- technical ability is one thing, but that man was a MUSICIAN.

larimar

Shame on you. Page in his prime, late-60's to early/mid-70's, before the heroin took over, was a machine. His phrasing and dynamics were amazing. Think of how different all his classic solos were, and how he always played for the song -- technical ability is one thing, but that man was a MUSICIAN.

I would def' miss all that "skank & slur" in his live playing that's for sure!

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
Kind of of Neil Young school of guitar. Is Neil sloppy? Would we love him any other way. I liked it. Had some feeling to it.

It had a raw sound to it the way Hendrix did sometimes, or Johnny Winter or any number of other people, but it wasn't bad. Timing was on and bends were accurate. Those are the things that separate the good players from the hacks to me.

s2y

CC Deville has some brilliant live raw power...........

I've never seen the guy approach any performance the same. I think people might call him sloppy in his case. :jo

larimar

CC Deville has some brilliant live raw power...........

I've never seen the guy approach any performance the same. I think people might call him sloppy in his case. :jo

I heard some old Poison at a party a bit back and it dawned on me how much that dude rocked out back then.

Neer

Silver Supporting Member
Context is everything.

The only people who care about flawlessly executed solos are guitarists who are home listening.

How many guitarists does it take to change a light bulb? One to change the bulb and all the others to say they could have done it better.

docgorpon

^ this. I didn't listen to this solo and I'm not familiar with this player. But if someone has established themselves as a guitar player with a voice and carved out some 'legendary' status based on it... then, yeah.. most people will write off the sour notes or whatever as 'soul' or 'rawness', etc. I think we all know that we all play crappily sometimes. But if it's, say, Brian May playing that way... I know that he has more to offer because I'm so familiar with his playing. He's already impressed the hell out of me and defined himself with decades of awesome playing, despite whatever live clip I see. If it's some guy in a bar that I've never heard, I just assume he's probably a hack. Or having a bad night. For all I know, he usually sound like Steve Vai or something. But he is defined in my mind by the one time I have seen him play.

rhinocaster

Gold Supporting Member
Gary Clark Jr brings a BIG guitar sound and lots of gritty, fuzzy, happening tone .... he has IT and that's obvious to lots of people.

Play with authority, power and conviction and people are gonna dig it regardless of whether you're playing big stages or the local watering hole...

Top Bottom