When Child Dangling Goes Horribly Wrong

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by TonePilot, Jul 8, 2019.

1. TonePilot

TonePilot Supporting Member

el capitan and Timcito like this.
  2. Fred132

Fred132 Member

No way am I clicking on that link.

Vintage_, CowTipton, 4b454e and 14 others like this.
  3. TonePilot

No pics, just a tragic story that didn't need to have happened.

el capitan likes this.
  4. guitarno

guitarno Supporting Member

I saw this but couldn't bring myself to read it. What a tragedy, and an unthinkably stupid thing to do.

5. sundog964

sundog964 Supporting Member

I read this article this morning. I've held my daughters by the ankles but always over the couch or bed. Made them chuckle. My brother had his son on his shoulders, and he fell forward my brother caught him before his head hit a granite coffee table, but broke his little leg. So no, doing something like this is way out of bounds. Can't imagine what that family is going through.

6. sixstringfuel

sixstringfuel Hotdogs kill Silver Supporting Member

I have never dangled any kid from anything other than shoulder height standing on the ground.
    And I'm pretty sure they could get hurt even at that height if they were dropped.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  7. Z_Zoquis

Z_Zoquis Member

"perhaps"?

awful awful situation.

8. RedRock

RedRock Member

Negligent homicide?
    The charge does not involve premeditation, but focuses on what the defendant should have known and the risks associated with what he did know.

InkStained, Radar, Zeegler and 2 others like this.
  9. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Have been a father for 13.5 years. Ever since December 20th 2005 anything that involves cruelty to kids either makes me unbelievably angry or literally brings me to tears.

No way I'm reading that article. If it was the parent that did it, not sure there's any additional punishment that can be added. I'm sure they'll face more though...

dani_boy79, cheapgtrs and el capitan like this.
  10. Mindcore

Mindcore Member

I read it earlier and it said the grandfather slipped and fell, dropping the kid. Made me think he was holding her while taking a stroll, slipped and flung the kid over. I could see that happening.

But if he was holding the kid out the window and dropped her, well I feel bad for everyone involved, but that guy will never be right again.

sandcastle and el capitan like this.
  11. wetordry

wetordry Member

This stunt was designed to make the kid laugh?
    Stupid, if the article is correct.

el capitan likes this.
  12. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

How do you go on after that mistake. Seems like he would have been better off jumping in after her.

How do you face your child after that?

sandcastle, 70 Mach 1, AaeCee and 3 others like this.
  13. Madsen

Madsen Member

14. coltranemi2012

coltranemi2012 Member

Man this story kind of ruined my day. No matter how dumb...everyone is kind of the victim here and how do live, forgive etc. horrible story

sandcastle and 55goldtop like this.
  15. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

Tragic. As the father of a one year old daughter, I teared up a little.

We live in Sausalito where there are quite a few piers, docks, and other potentially dangerous structures on the bay. I find myself being overly cautious with her, but I'm okay with that.

16. tonyhay

tonyhay Member

17. TonePilot

No living thing should have this happen to them. But like I said in another post, the world needs more dogs and less human idiots.

18. Motterpaul

Motterpaul Tone is in the Ears

I wrote an editorial many years ago where I said it was time for cruise ships to make it impossible for people to go over railings on cruise ships. All they need to do is raise the bars another couple feet and probably 90% of accidents would end.

The truth is about a dozen or more people go missing from cruise ships every year, and there is very rarely (if ever) a suicide note. So, the question comes up "how does it happen" and the most logical answer is that people do stupid things. As long as you do not put yourself or anyone else in an unsafe (non-public) situation where they could trip and fall then they are safe on a cruise ship. BUT - what about they guy who gambles all night, gets drunk and goes out on his balcony for a smoke? The balcony is only about 42 inches tall, and it is perfectly logical to think he could just jump up and sit on it. What you don't think about is what are you going to do when you start to fall backwards?

There are also people who try to climb between rooms from one balcony to the next. Then there was a photographer who stood on a table by a railing to get a better picture and went over the side. I also believe some people jump on purpose, believing they will be saved but the ocean is a BIG place and drowning people are rarely visible at all (you see their foreheads and nose - that's about it.)

This is the reason Las Vegas hotels do not have balconies. But then again, there are millions of apartment windows in big cities where a child can easily fall out (hence they have a law where you can request your landlord install bars on the windows - but few people get them).

Timcito likes this.
  19. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

The world needs more dogs? Aren't countless numbers of them put down every year for being unwanted?

And, I doubt you meant to, but it almost sounds like you're implying that this baby was another "human idiot".

20. RJLII

RJLII Member

I posted that earlier. Rethought. Deleted. Made the right call.

rizla, Figaro, pjs ire and 1 other person like this.