When did Crunch Box Version 2 come out?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by PremiumPlus, Feb 1, 2008.

1. PremiumPlus

PremiumPlus Member

Anyone know?
    Thanks!

2. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Don't know for sure but if it has a trim pot on the inside, it is V2.

3. -DC/AC-

-DC/AC- Member

Indeed, and if it is V2 then it has a trim pot on the inside. :dude

4. PremiumPlus

PremiumPlus Member

I just bought one and I know it was bought new in March '07.

5. PremiumPlus

PremiumPlus Member

I just bought one from the original owner who purchased in March '07. I won't get it for a few days and he doesn't know which version it is. Long story, I know I should have asked, but I forgot! He's going to look and see if it has the trim pot but I won't know until he decides to email me. Am I safe???

6. mjcyates

mjcyates Member

The original version had a very sensitive volume taper that some found difficult to dial in. The new version addresses this issue with a different volume pot. Also some found the pedal to be dark sounding, therefore an internal presence trim was added. I had the original version and did find the volume taper to be very sensitive but I did not have an issue with it sounding dark.
    From their website:
    Version 2
    I have talked to quite a few Crunch Box owners, and I've pooled together their comments to improve the already amazing design. I have improved the Crunch Box in the following way:
    • Wider Tone control sweep with more top end - The new Crunch Box has more top end. The new Crunch Box with the tone set to 1 O'clock is about the same as the original with the tone control dimmed.
    • Updated Volume Control Sweep - The Crunch Box has a lot of volume up its sleeve. In fact, many users found it difficult to dial in, because the volume control was so sensitive. So in order to help with this, I've changed the taper of the volume control. Now 12 O'clock is close to 'neutral'
    • New internal Presence Control - Like the Tube Zone, I've included a presence control to help control the 'shape' of the pedal. By winding up the presence control, the lows won't feel as powerful (which some people found to be a bit too much). Also, this creates the effect of giving the pedal even more top end. So with the new Crunch Box, there is no chance that the pedal will be too dark.

7. drolling

drolling Member

As I recall, Michael changed the design very early on. I got one of the very first batch, and the new ones were available within months..

So I'm pretty sure yours is a VII.

Really dig my VI, tho' - With strats/teles & fender blackface/VOX style single channel amps, it's perfect. Certainly not what I'd call a 'dark' sounding pedal

8. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

I have a Version 2 and I would say my neutral volume is more like 10 o'clock, I wish it was 12 o'clock. I also messed with the presence control, I was sure glad it was there, it would be nice it was a mini knob or something like that.

9. PremiumPlus

PremiumPlus Member

Thanks everyone! The guy opened mine up today and said in an email that it has a "screwdriver adjustable control" labelled '203' on the PCB. So, it must be a v2. Also, the build date is 5-1-07 from inside the CB. It's looking good...