When did Fender/Gibson start doing reissues?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by SixDemonBag, Feb 17, 2012.

1. SixDemonBag

SixDemonBag Member

They weren't doing '50's and '60s reissues in the 80's were they?:huh

2. dharmafool

dharmafool Member

It began in the '80s.

3. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

http://knol.google.com/k/jason-isadore/fender-american-vintage-reissue/2sm1c7nzce8q2/2#

4. fumbler

fumbler Member

Remember how good the reissues of 50's guitars were in the 80's? Man, I wish they would start reissuing them.

:sarcasm

Is it time for my medication already?

5. John C

John C Supporting Member

That covers Fender; Gibson started their reissues after Henry took over. I don't think the more accurate ones started until the early 1990s - the ones called "pre-Historic" because they predate the current Historic line - probably around 1993 or so but I could be wrong on that.

I belive the current series of Historics date to 1997 - I have never been as much into Gibsons as I have Fenders, so I could be off on the dates by a year or so either way. I do remember there being a big deal made about the 1999 R9s being the "most accurate reissue done to date for the 50th Anniversary of the 1959 LP Standard" - of course Gibson now says that every couple of years as they continually tweak the specs.

6. Eveready

Eveready Member

Gibson did their first RIs in 1972 I think when they brought back the 54 goldtop with p-90s and a wraparound bridge. Prob with this one is they made a mistake and called it a 58. Then in '74 they brought out the RI Les Paul Special SC with 2-p-90s and a wraparound in SB. Around the same time they also brought out a 54 style LP custom with a single p-90 in the bridge and the Alnico staple pickup in the neck.

All three are great guitars, but a little off in some of the details...

7. Peppy

Peppy Member

Gibson's first "reissues" were in 1968.

8. 59GIBSON

59GIBSON Member

What about in 59, when they reissued the 58!!!!:rotflmao:rotflmao

Yes, 1968 is correct for Gibson. I believe Fender reissued the 57 & 62 stats in 1982 or 83.:aok

9. Eveready

Eveready Member

Oh yeah. I forgot to mention that...they did the 56!

10. John C

John C Supporting Member

I guess I don't consider that a "reissue" but a "return" - plus they pretty quickly started messing around with the specs after they used up all the old wood for those first gold-tops.

I was going for when they began what we now call the "Historics" - as I said actually the "pre-Historics" that had more vintage specs than the garden variety Standard and Classic of the day.

11. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Supporting Member

Unlike Fender who woke up one day and realized they needed to do reissues of the guitars that made the company great, Gibson just sort of muddled along. There were a few models that could best be called "tributes" but Gibson's impetus to do reissues didn't really come from within the company. In the late 70s and early 80s various Gibson dealers would order special runs of guitars with more vintage correct specs than anything offered as a standard model. Gibson complied within the limitations of their tooling and ability. Basically the dealers kept ordering more and more close reproductions and Gibson kept working at getting more accurate at reproducing their old designs.

12. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao

13. John C

John C Supporting Member

:confused::confused:

So I guess that's an urban legend that some of the first of the '68s were essentially parts they found in the warehouse? Regardless they did start screwing around with the headstock shape pretty quickly; the pancake bodies, etc. were pretty much in place in the early 1970s.

14. tim gueguen

tim gueguen Member

Depends on whether you consider the original Fender Telecaster Bass of '68 a reissue or not. It was very similar to the original Fender Precision.

15. b2sc

b2sc Member

Norlin did lots or RIs. the '74 20th Anniversary, the '55 Special, the Heritage 80s and Standard '82 models to name just a few...

16. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

I have one of these "pre-issues":

[​IMG]

1983, Kalamazoo plant, exact '59 specs. Built right before the plant was closed down.

17. DonP

DonP Member

I'd call the Heritage 80s the first serious attempt at a regular production re-issue for Gibson. You also had the Kalamazoo's around then, and the Guitar Trader / Leos too. But I call it the Heritage 80, even though it still had a lot of wrong specs.

18. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

Various dealers ordered LPs with late 50s features, going back as far as the very late 70s.

19. 440gtx6pak

440gtx6pak Member

There are enough differences in construction to prove it is a myth. There are threads about it on the Les Paul Forum. It was started by vintage dealers looking to get more money. And then it was repeated until it was accepted as truth.:)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  20. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member