• Supporting Membership Changes

The Supporting Memberships are currently being updated moving forward.

In order to coordinate giveaway drawings to the Supporting Members there will be a new alignment in the naming of the tiers. (Note: Non-Supporting (Basic) and Monthly Supporting Members can get into the drawings by mailing a postcard. Details on that will follow with a giveaway starting soon).

The pricing for each Supporting Membership level remains the same though the naming of them will change. The privileges remain the same as current but with the new name. If you are a current Supporting Member, you will be upgraded automatically for the existing term of your Supporting Membership. We are introducing a new tier with new perks.

Table here

Supporting Membership Guide

• Monthly Supporting Members will remain Supporting Members
    • Current annual Supporting Members will now be Silver Supporting Members. Perks and permissions remain the same
    • Current Silver Supporting Members will now be Gold Supporting Members
    • Current Gold Supporting Members will now be Platinum Supporting Members
    • A new level will be created - Double Platinum Supporting Members

All memberships will now have the option to remain as non-recurring memberships or choose reccuring memberships moving forward. *Note: current memberships will NOT be changed to recurring memberships.

When did Gibson start doing VOS?

pir8matt

Looking at an ad where someone is advertising a 2002 VOS LP.

I was under the impression VOS was a more recent thing. How long has Gibson been doing it? Anyone know?

MikeB_18

Prior to VOS there was Custom Authentic, which is a step further than VOS but not in the realm of a relic.

skeeterbuck

Prior to VOS there was Custom Authentic, which is a step further than VOS but not in the realm of a relic.
I think they were the same thing. The difference was that the first year (2001) Custom Authentic's came with Grover Rotomatics and had an upcharge. In 2002 they reverted back to the Kluson tulip head tuners.

Now...VOS is cheaper and gloss finish is an upcharge. ($300 list)

They get you coming and going.

Dave Orban

I think they were the same thing. The difference was that the first year (2001) Custom Authentic's came with Grover Rotomatics and had an upcharge. In 2002 they reverted back to the Kluson tulip head tuners.

Now...VOS is cheaper and gloss finish is an upcharge. ($300 list)

They get you coming and going.
And, VOS adds the Plek treatment, not available in earlier model years...

pir8matt

Good stuff - followup question..

Does anyone know if Gibson will duplicate COA's if the originals are lost?

Mcclassic

From a talk to a representative, Gibson is planning to add more plek machines to regular production guitars, the machines are already there but I understand that they want to start pleking around August for the more regular models.

fretnot

Gold Supporting Member
The only problem I have found with the Gibson Plek's is that because they install the frets on the board PRIOR to installing the board to the neck, the Plek compensates for the later board movement and takes off a portion of the frets, so you are in a sense getting a guitar with less than full fret life, even though it has never been played. I wish Gibson didn't cut corners like this, but it is much easier to have one person just hammering in frets all day than to wait for the board to settle on a neck first.

skeeterbuck

The only problem I have found with the Gibson Plek's is that because they install the frets on the board PRIOR to installing the board to the neck, the Plek compensates for the later board movement and takes off a portion of the frets, so you are in a sense getting a guitar with less than full fret life, even though it has never been played. I wish Gibson didn't cut corners like this, but it is much easier to have one person just hammering in frets all day than to wait for the board to settle on a neck first.
It might not be ideal to do it this way, but I think that it's still alot better than the old way.
I'm trying to look at the positive side. :AOK

Bhodie

Nope, no chance...just like PRS will not reissue the small Eagle Certificate.
Actually, they will provide a replacement COA, but you need the original receipt from the authorized Gibson dealer and you have ship it to them to authenticate in person, and pay for return shipping.. (per their FAQ page)

skeeterbuck

VOS and Custom Authentic are not the same thing. VOS finishes leave me feeling a bit queasy. VOS - it's never brought to a gloss or finished. Custom Authentics are finished and then brought to a dull aged look and it feels worlds better to me. That's why VOS are cheaper and CAs were more expensive than gloss. And honestly, I like that finish better than the razor blade aged look, which actually looks fake to me. I haven't been able to keep a VOS, but I'm keeping my two CAs.

That's very interesting. :stir

I had a 01 R8 CA and it was just like the current VOS finish. It was covered with a type of buffing compound residue. I just wiped off the crud like compoung, polished the guitar and the gloss finish came right back. It was also on the hardware and that too shined up fine.

Maybe Gibson was experimenting? :)

Trending Topics