When did Les Paul Juniors become $1500 guitars?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bigfoamfinger, Jun 24, 2019.

1. fenderjapan

fenderjapan World Heavyweight Champion Silver Supporting Member

2. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Supporting Member

That is an uncommon deal for a 50's LP Jr., unless it has quite a few issues. I wouldn't go by that kind of lucky find in a disscussion of new Junior prices.
    Al

Gibson Dog and 27sauce like this.
  3. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

Who buy's new guitars?

4. Steve1216

Steve1216 Supporting Member

No I wasn’t saying they grow on trees for that amount. That is an extreme case. Still, an lp jr in brand new condition a year or two old vs a new one at Gibson’s (or most American companies) current prices is a no brained.

5. Gibson Dog

Gibson Dog Silver Supporting Member

Partially because of a video or more specifically the tone of a video along with what I consider to be questionable ethics which mean a lot to me. Going after Dean is highly questionable at best to me so a combination of everything had me not feeling great about it. Gibson & a lot of companies don't give a crap about you or me but they rely on our money to stay in business, I did want the guitar but I didn't feel good about giving them my money. Like I said they don't care what we think or say but if we don't buy their products they will quickly start to care. I'm also not saying I'm right or wrong or trying to tell anyone what to do you & everyone else need to do whatever you're comfortable with.

I know the people at the shop really well & they could send it back (they didn't want it) if it was a problem for them they would have told me & I would have bought & sold it. I've been buying gear from them for 30 years. They had just gotten a used/mint Morgan MVP23 which I knew nothing about but I've wanted to try a "power scaling" amp for a while so I did buy that. F'n amp KILLS!!

DV52 likes this.
  6. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

I have a new 2019 Junior, the neck profile is in the same ballpark as my R8...very chunky. It’s a superb guitar, refuses to go out of tune, great fit and finish and screams...so, worth the cash? To me, without a doubt.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    bryan83, AA864, Gibson Dog and 5 others like this.
  7. DV52

DV52 Member

Fair enough !
    I will continue to play them . They took the video down before I saw it. It was a bad move. I get the point though .
    I have a Suhr Badger 18 Combo that is very nice with the Power Scaling .

8. Hoth

Hoth Silver Supporting Member

We are all here because we love guitar and many of us actually love Gibson. But there’s no doubt that the popularity of guitar is waning. I am forced to listen to popular radio by my kids and there are long stretches between songs that feature guitar.

Now, companies can deal with lower sales in various ways. One way is to try to decrease bloat and inefficiency to lower prices to get more buyers. Another way is to consider yourself a luxury good and raise prices and institute an east Berlin-like informant network to turn other people in for copies. One way relies on bringing more people into the fold while the other relies on becoming the Apple of guitars. Why can’t we criticize a company for obviously choosing to go down one of these routes?

Not only do we have an interest in the path Gibson has taken because we are customers who are owed (yes “entitled” for all the people in this thread who are triggered by that word) various duties such as they have made an ongoing commitment of repair for our instruments, but there is also our interest in the company as an important component of our society and culture. Why in America do we accept the idea that when you obtain a corporate charter society is bestowing upon you all of these privileges but your only responsibility is to make as much money as possible for a small number of people who run the corporation?

lizardking likes this.
  9. gjohnson441496lpjr

gjohnson441496lpjr Member

I'll admit I don't understand the pricing. I paid $650 for my 2010 lp jr. I'd like to know the difference between mine and one of the new ones. I wouldn't mind having that TV yellow Special.

10. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

This is the key point here. People remember the upside and they tend to forget the downsides.

DV52 likes this.
  11. 27sauce

27sauce Member

Does a ‘10 have the parallel bridge posts or slanted posts?

Peteyvee likes this.
  12. DGA

DGA Member

This thread is just giving me GAS for a 2019 LP Jr. Someone let me know when they do a special run in pellham blue.

Windup 43 likes this.
  13. offthiscentury

offthiscentury Member

Have you had a chance to compare the '18 to the '19? I have long been considering picking up an '18 because it's a bit cheaper, but don't want to end up wishing I'd just saved my pennies a little longer for the '19

14. Telechamp

Telechamp Member

They're out there for those prices.. Here's a mint 2010 (I believe it was a 2010, IIRC) Junior at GC for $599 that I saw a while back. Not too long ago. I bet they would have taken $550..

(I took the pic because I almost grabbed it.. I actually should have - it was a really nice Junior.)

[​IMG]

gjohnson441496lpjr likes this.
  15. Windup 43

I had an ‘18 which was a complete mess with bad QC issues, I had to send it back...the neck wasn’t nearly as beefy as the ‘19 either. The ‘19 is everything I wished the ‘18 was, very pleased with it.

offthiscentury likes this.
  16. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

Hardly a lot of money for anything quality in 2019. You can buy table lamps for $1500 easily.

Windup 43 likes this.
  17. Windup 43

The older ones aren’t bad, but not historically accurate at all compared to the ‘19’s. Whether or not that’s worth the price difference is ultimately up to the buyer, obviously.

Lloyd_m likes this.
  18. jujube

jujube Member

Windup 43 likes this.
  19. gjohnson441496lpjr

gjohnson441496lpjr Member

Parallel

20. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

That coupled with the fact that anyone can easily buy some POS MIC lamp from walmart for a few bucks. It's not that anything quality got expensive, it's that the cheap crap got so cheap.

zekmoe likes this.