When did lowballers get so darn pushy?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by zeffbeff, Dec 5, 2018.

1. zeffbeff

zeffbeff Member

I posted a few pieces of gear for sale on the usual sites: eBay and craigslist.

These are pretty small ticket items, selling for only a couple hundred dollars or less. I priced them at a pretty fair level, especially since I'm just starting out selling them, and I'm in no rush.

I haven't sold anything on the used market in a while, so I'm shocked at the extreme aggression that lowballers are coming at me with. They are essentially demanding that I sell my items to them at a fraction of a fraction of the listed price. It's not even an offer, it's a straight-up, near-violent, aggressive demand.

Is this something new with th used market? Surely these tactics don't ever work, right?

Woowoo and FokenBusker like this.
  2. Mr Fingers

Mr Fingers Member

I'm amazed you're surprised. This is normal human behavior that gets reported and complained about on this site all the time. People are allowed to lowball, and some humans are aggressive and obnoxious. If you don't want to deal with the public, don't sell via a public system. I suppose you can state that "offers below the listed price will not be accepted" and that might reduce the lowball traffic. But it comes with the territory.

jasevenny, G34RSLU7, Honch and 12 others like this.
  3. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Supporting Member

The same people walk into McDonald's with an empty drink cup from the day before and try to get free refills.

enharmonic, Brandon7s, nichd and 46 others like this.
  4. Promit

Promit Member

Lowballing relies on the oxygen of a response. I have my own red-lines on every listing where I will not acknowledge contacts under those values. Just nuke em and move right on. I also disregard anyone who uses the words "cash" and "tonight".

That said, I have discontinued my interactions with eBay entirely and Craigslist mostly, in favor of Reverb and Facebook. Both have been drastically more consistent and productive for me.

5. zeffbeff

zeffbeff Member

Did I say I'm not going to deal with it?

Did I say I'm replying to the people who violently demand that I sell a $200 compressor for $20?

I'm fascinated that you reached those conclusions from my post. But sure, you got my number! Well done.

6. scr@tchy

scr@tchy Member

I'd like to read one of the violent ones please

7. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

I rarely deal with the public for buying and selling these days.

I've done a little selling and buying on CL, but very sporadic over the last 10+ years.

I almost exclusively buy my gear from Pawnshops, and sell my gear to a circle of musicians who buy gear regularly, or to a couple of 2nd hand guitar shops who'll offer me better money than GC.

I don't mind selling to these shops, cause I can cash out almost anytime I need quick cash, and I always make my money back plus a little profit.

I'd rather do this than deal with rude tire kicking scum bags on CL.

Cotton and BenB123 like this.
  8. pewing33ny

pewing33ny Member

Uh oh, I use "cash" and "tonight" all the time. I'd say that 90% of the time my offer is accepted though, I'm pretty picky and don't buy because something is a good deal, only after I've thoroughly vetted that I actually want it. So my offers on craigslist are generally close to what the seller would actually get after fees/shipping/hassle on ebay/reverb.

Otter359 and TKIV like this.
  9. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

10. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

It won't.

Just as stating "Not looking for trades", or "only looking for items X, Y, or Z in trade", or "price is firm" won't stop people from offering your trades, offering you trades for things you aren't interested in, or making your offers lower than your stated price.

The power-position is to not be in a hurry to sell. Then you can simply ignore dumb-ass replies to your ads. Or, if you're in a hot and spicy mood, you can tell them to work on their reading comprehensions skills. Maybe point them in the direction of some adult-learning classes.

11. slybird

slybird Member

How does one get violent over email? Are they threatening to come to your house with a baseball bat saying they will give you an offer you can't refuse?

12. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Supporting Member

I've sold hundreds of guitars, amps, etc on eBay and Reverb.
    Never had a violent or over aggressive buyer.
    Some people are just psycho's no matter what.
    I BLOCK them as soon as I get a "vibe".

13. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

Report them on Ebay - they will get banned. Also do as @SlyStrat just posted.
    Block em hard and fast.

14. customguitars87

customguitars87 Member

No, it's nothing new. Lots of whackos out there, I do a lot of selling locally (Craigslist and such) and I've had some real doozies over the years. I don't get upset about it though, and I don't recommend you do either. Stress is bad for your health, and honestly most of these types of situations are HILARIOUS and make for some great laughs as I tap my delete key.

Top three favorites off the top of my head:

1). The guy who told me that he's a "professional luthier" and accused me in broken English of lying repeatedly in my listing...he not only said the Fender CS pickups I put into the guitar with my own two hands were not Fender pickups, but also informed me in his infinite wisdom that my description of the guitar's 2 piece ash body is a lie too because "ash isn't ever in two pieces".

2). The guy who replied to an ad I had that specifically said no trades cash only by offering to trade me...an infant car seat. I have neither a car, nor an infant.

3). The guy who told me he's "completely broke and unemployed" and would have to pay to rent a car to get the guitar, so he can only pay 1/3rd of my asking price after he pays for that.

15. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

Wow! Those responses. Between the three of these guys there was not one functioning brain cell to be found.:eek:

16. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Supporting Member

And if you use Craigslist its your own fault.
    I don't feel bad for you.

17. SweetSAAB

SweetSAAB Supporting Member

Awesome response bro! I can see that you're going to get everything you wanted out of this thread and more.

18. customguitars87

customguitars87 Member

I love CL. It’s either hilarious or I sell my item with no fees and no shipping debacles. :)

19. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Member

Might be the same guy with multiple accounts if the demeanor is similar trying to convince you it's overpriced.

20. slybird

slybird Member

I have no idea if these CL tales are true or not, but I never have any problems buying or selling CL. For used items CL has proven to be the least hassle of any site I've tried.

Lance, Tabor and TKIV like this.