When did lowballers get so darn pushy?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by zeffbeff, Dec 5, 2018 at 4:16 PM.

1. whatizitman

whatizitman Member

Low. ball. er. Don't be no violent buyer.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 9:42 AM
    RomanS, HERSCHEL and jimijimmyjeffy like this.
  2. whatizitman

whatizitman Member

Hey, that's worth at least one extra sip of coffee. Gotta think in those terms.

3. guitarbilly74

guitarbilly74 Member

I just ignore the offers that aren't reasonable. Takes a second to delete a message. If they insist it takes another second to block them.

CanuckChris likes this.
  4. 9fears08

9fears08 Member

I’ve been trying to see if I can move some stuff on at a price that I’m happy with recently and found it okay.

Had a couple of polite low ball offers “would you consider..blah?” reply “no, not prepared to go that low at the moment but thanks for the offer”..no problems. If you decide not to sell below a price even if it’s high it’s completely your prerogative.

Sounds like some people’s sense of entitlement is still fully intact

If anyone thinks it’s okay to be forceful and rude they’re a complete knuckle dragger and if it was me selling I’d rather go a little lower and sell to someone with some decency..and then tell the knuckle dragger what I’d done

5. Jecht

Jecht Member

I thought about starting a thread on this, but thought it might be appropriate to post here. I've been getting a little frustrated that my Jet City hasn't sold. I'm selling my JCA 50H head for $450.00 I bought it in April and immediately installed the SLO mod and had the head retubed and rebiased. I even replaced the front cover with the metal baffle they sell. They retail for $400 brand new and I thought my asking price was fair when you factor in the additional aftermarket mods and the cost of paying for a tech. Since it hasn't sold I'm wondering if I'm asking way too much for it?

6. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

The answer to your question is ALWAYS yes

7. BlueRiff

BlueRiff Silver Supporting Member

Ha!! Luca - I'm a little worried about this Les Paul buyer - I need you to check him out - see what dirt he has under his fingernails. Tell him your not happy with our music store...."

HERSCHEL likes this.
  8. Jecht

Jecht Member

Well, I actually had listed for $350 for a long time to compete with the sale price. The prices of these amps seem to go up and down all of the time.

9. cathodebias

cathodebias Supporting Member

I ignore them - that pisses them off more than a reply. If it happens here, I put the offender on ignore - only had to do it once.

10. DGA

DGA Member

I'm not desperate or tapped out, but I'll be damned if I'm going to pay the head-in-the-clouds prices that so many Reverb sellers are asking.

I don't make an offer unless I am serious about buying the item. I'm guessing that my opening shot would set off the low ball alarm for many of the people in this thread. Just remember that an opening shot is not a final offer.

HERSCHEL likes this.
  11. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Supporting Member

I like responding to the lowballers & tirekickers on CL. We are prohibited
    from saying or stating so much in our private and/or public lives. I can tell
    them exactly how i feel about them. :mad:

12. HaroldBrooks

HaroldBrooks Member

It has something to do with lack of self control and decorum that is not taught in today's world. Boorish nasty behavior always existed, but years ago society would admonish and ostracize people who lacked the ability to be fair and kind in their dealings.

Not so much today. There's never ben a law saying you can't be aggressive and nasty when you try to deal with a purchase, but it makes things rougher for everyone in the long run, because some sellers will just retreat totally and not offer to sell to get away from creepy behavior.

It is very creepy to intentionally low ball far beyond a market value, and then try to bully someone into selling. Do yourself a favor, and totally ignore such requests as you certainly don't have to comply with this creepy behavior, or simply respond with 'No Thanks', and then go no further in any communication. Feel bad for them, if they consistently treat others like that in their life, they are headed for bitter consequences.

13. BlueRiff

BlueRiff Silver Supporting Member

I still can’t see why anyone would get triggered by our opening offer. Not getting the concept of being offended by an offer. o_O

14. CanuckChris

CanuckChris Supporting Member

I think the anonymity that comes with sites like eBay or kijiji (Canada's Craigslist) is why a lot of these people feel like they can get away with behaviour they wouldn't try face to face.

I've gotten ones similar to that too, except they went to the extent of saying they were broke and couldn't afford to drive to meet me, can I bring the guitar to their house? Umm yeah, I really want to go to your crack shack and get robbed and stabbed (my mind tends to come up with interesting scenarios).

Pedals are the worst selling through these sites. Zero value by others. I now sell any of mine to the guitar shop that gives me a decent trade-in on new equipment.

15. Jecht

Jecht Member

I feel like people don't want to haggle anymore. I intentionally price high for haggling. Like the amp I asked about above. It's listed for $450, but my absolute bottom dollar is $300. I don't mind telling you guys because I'm not shipping it. :D:D I also enjoy haggling because it allows both parties to come to a price they're happy with.

16. stratotastic

stratotastic Supporting Member

Upgrade syndrome. Common mistake by amateur sellers.

HERSCHEL likes this.
  17. Jecht

Jecht Member

Probably. My rationale was that about half of the reviews of these amps I read online are from people doing the same thing, so I figured someone interested in the amp could buy mine and still save money. I've lowered price to $375.00.

18. spookyelectric

spookyelectric Supporting Member

Wow, extrapolate much? How did you determine he "defensively" wrote his response? You thought his response was weird? Seemed pretty normal to me. Maybe he just wasn't living on TGP, constantly waiting to respond to posts in his thread? (FYI, I wrote that defensively ;))

19. Lance

Lance Member

I wholeheartedly agree, to the max, and ****!!

20. customguitars87

customguitars87 Member

Yeah I'll sell pedals pickups etc. on Reverb as there just seems to be very little traction on those through Craigslist for whatever reason. Guitars I'll only sell locally though. I don't need someone finding a hair in an electronics cavity and then trying to get a 30% partial refund for it. People are nuts these days and a lot of companies will side with the buyer and then you're screwed.

I don't ever bother doing this, a lot of those folks have no intention of buying anything and are just lonely and trolling for attention/to get someone's goat. By responding, you're giving them exactly what they want.

Heinz57Pep likes this.