When did lowballers get so darn pushy?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by zeffbeff, Dec 5, 2018 at 4:16 PM.

1. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

Clearly define “low baller”, please

HERSCHEL likes this.
  2. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

Did I miss the OP (or anyone)...that provided what a "near-violent, aggressive demand" was?

3. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

LOL!!

4. johnkoz

johnkoz Supporting Member

Imagine if one of these reverb sellers that are posting about the cuckoo buyers could just copy/paste from their reverb messages?

(redacting whatever necessary)

I mean, we ARE here to be entertained; no?

5. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

[​IMG]

Limenode likes this.
  6. Limenode

Limenode Silver Supporting Member

Given the OP's frenzied and highly defensive replies to a few benign commenters I doubt you'll get any additional context. It might not be needed though since a few things can already be inferred.

lgehrig4 likes this.
  7. Fireproof

Fireproof Supporting Member

I have had more reasonable people than not on Craigslist. A few low ballers, that I politely declined, and they went away.

Another one, we met in the middle because it was an item that I had posted twice already and didn’t really think there was much of a market for it.

Others have been asking price or very close to it, as I price my stuff to move, usually.

Every now and then I get pleasantly surprised. Like this one guy - I was selling an amp for $400. He asked if I would take $360 for it. I told him maybe in a couple weeks, but I just posted it 3 days ago, so I’m going to wait and see if I can get $400 for it. But happy to keep his email and let him know later if I’ll take $360.

Next day he emails me that he really wants to buy it for his nephew and will give me $400 for it. (I wasn’t sure if he was making it up, but whatever...). Then he wanted me to bring it to his office (20 miles away - not a huge deal, but an inconvenience). Long story short, he said he’d give me an additional $40 for my troubles to bring it to him. Now I’m starting to wonder if this is going to really happen this way. But I took a chance because his email dialogue was professional and courteous and he gave me his office address, business name, and cell phone number. Sure enough - he met me in the parking lot and gave me the $440 in cash.

RomanS and Kevy_Metal like this.
  8. '59Fatburst

'59Fatburst Supporting Member

This x 10000.

9. slybird

slybird Member

It's those damn Italians giving CL a bad reputation.

dansworld likes this.
  10. gibson3798

gibson3798 Member

I'll do that alone, or not at all......

11. TS808

TS808 Member

Right now I have a couple mid priced guitars on the local Craigslist in Pittsburgh. Here are some of the responses to my ads that I get (even though I have the price listed as firm):

"I have $100 cash and will pick it up today" My reply: "if you want a guitar for $100, try Toys R Us"

"I was thinking $200". My reply: "I wasn't"

"I want that guitar, what's the lowest you can go?" My reply "It's on the ad"

FractalGarden, Jecht and Fireproof like this.
  12. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

#PedalLife

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 8:32 PM
  13. Ryno1331

Ryno1331 Supporting Member

How does yours do on outright buy prices? Mine basically said take the used price they would list it and they will give 60% of that. Easy to lose a lot of money that way.

C-4 likes this.
  14. jtees4

jtees4 Member

I agree completely, I have actually met a few folks from CL that are now friends. I sold an amp, he turned out to be a lawyer. I ended up using him for some legal work. I went to house near me to pick up some pickups I bought on CL. Nice guy, there was a drum set in the yard, and a tiki hut....he said come back tonight, we're jamming and having a party. It turned out to be Teddy Rondinelli and the drummer turned out to be Bobby Rondinelli. Look them up, I had to myself at the time. I also met Mike who currently plays with Richie Blackmore in his Renaissance band, Mike was a really good guy and we became friends. I have had almost all really nice experiences with selling/buying on CL. I had only one bad experience, but nothing dangerous or anything like that. I met a guy and he decided to negotiate a done deal we had. I ended up telling him forget it, I am leaving and I wouldn't sell it to him....period. Only guy that ever pissed me off, and he was an old guy, like myself. Oh one more story, I was selling a guitar....the guy drove about 40 miles to my house to pick it up and was a nice guy, so I offered to take $25 off the price....he flat out refused, he said the guitar was totally worth it and paid me my original asking price (and NO, it was not worth a lot more, I knew what I had).

uab9253, Fireproof and openbar like this.
  15. guitarsan

guitarsan Member

There are people who flip on CL and eBay for a living. Starting to make more sense now? They want the margin, not your item. They’re lowballing and playing the odds, the “black market” auction equivalent of robocalling. It’ll get worse not better. Me, I mess with them to humor myself when I want to, ignore when I want to, and some of the best ones are when I do both.

16. openbar

openbar Silver Supporting Member

@jtees4 I too have made great friends and musical partners selling on craigslist.

uab9253 likes this.
  17. Blanket Jackson

Blanket Jackson It's Time For Action Silver Supporting Member

18. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Silver Supporting Member

Didn't miss a thing

josephpnorman likes this.
  19. forgivenman

forgivenman Supporting Member

What kind of things are they saying? Just curious.

20. IIIBOOMERIII

IIIBOOMERIII Member