“when Did The Electric Guitar Become Such A Pariah?”: Joe Bonamassa

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by cochese, May 17, 2019.

1. cochese

cochese Supporting Member

2. Cody

Cody Well, look who’s undead! Silver Supporting Member

I’m with Joe.

JP59, Abram4235, AndyBurns and 20 others like this.
  3. guitarmook

guitarmook Member

"...don’t change what you do to suit someone’s engineering and audio fantasy. They will come at you fast and furious with solutions and ways to take you off your game plan. My advice is to stand your ground and be the guitarist you worked so hard to be. Make Buddy Guy and Jimi Hendrix proud."

By all means, ignore the soundman at the local venue, and turn up as loud as you want to. What could possibly go wrong?

4. Bob T.

Bob T. Member

5. Pidgin English

Pidgin English Member

I really like what Joe said. I love his Typhoid Mary reference. I can't even turn up a 30 watt Mesa F30 past 3 without getting sneers from people saying "it's too loud." As the great scholar Chaim Witz said; Loud, I want to hear it loud, right between the eyes. Loud, I want to hear it loud, don't want to compromise. :rockin

6. sws1

sws1 Member

A click bait title for an article that is actually about being a diva

7. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

In general, I think that in an "art" setting musicians should "make their thing happen", and then the soundman should translate that to the audience, as necessary.

It's possible that "the musicians' thing" may not be a good fit for the room. If the "thing" is too quiet, the soundman has all sorts of tools help get the "thing" across to the people not on stage. If the "thing" is too loud, then the soundman should let the musicians know what's going on out in the room, in case the musicians have some acceptable strategies, but otherwise they should be allowed to hang themselves with their own rope and just not be invited back.

In an "entertainment" setting, the musicians should accede to the demands of the venue. The venue has their "thing" in mind, and it's probably a lot quieter than in the first scenario. If you're hired to play at a moderate or quiet volume, do that--it's your job for the night.

Most gigs have some balance of the two, but unless pre-printed tickets with your name on them are being sold, you're probably in the "entertainment" scenario.

8. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

I agree with Joe B. There is a floor under which it just doesn't friggen work. The acrylic barriers are good, aiming stuff away from vocal mics, etcetera. I'm just a local hack, but I only mic my amp when playing outdoors. Inside, I'll be just fine thanks. Bear in mind rock music is what I do, not super subtle and the Eagles aren't calling etc. YMMV.

yawiney, otter5555, jens5 and 6 others like this.
  9. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

Bashing and name calling not allowed

comment and or disagree in a civil manner

55goldtop, sanhozay, TB72 and 11 others like this.
  10. aiq

aiq Supporting Member

I went into a pub in Liverpool which had a sign on the door reading “Sixties music played”. That was not why we went in, they were still serving food.

Maybe someday, somewhere out there on the lonesome highway there will be found a juke joint with a sign saying, “Loud tube amps within”.

This is all a dream we dreamed one afternoon, long ago.

11. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

Oh please. It's the musician's job to adapt to the room he is in. If you have to play louder than the room will bear, you're in the wrong room, or you're not as much of a musician as you think you are

12. hellbender

hellbender Member

Loud covers a multitude of sins.

Add distortion and you're bulletproof.

Holzar88, muku, slider and 2 others like this.
  13. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

While everyone's jumping on the Bash Joe train (KNOCK IT OFF).

They missed the important part of the article:
    Bottom line: you need to play to the gig (volume- and amp-appropriate), but don’t change what you do to suit someone’s engineering and audio fantasy. They will come at you fast and furious with solutions and ways to take you off your game plan.

14. aiq

aiq Supporting Member

Sure, but once people desired loud music.

Change, whatcha gonna do?

15. Shiny_Beast

Shiny_Beast Supporting Member

Here here! Joe nails it.

epauley and jens5 like this.
  16. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

I was at a sound check for Eric Gales at the Viper Room a few years back and the sound guy was insistent that the stage volume was way too high, and it was just not that loud. It was interesting to hear Eric pushing back, “ dude I’ m not that guy, guitar is an important element of what’s going on tonight” It all worked out just fine. The sound guy didn’t get his way and the show was great.

I’m not Eric, but unless the room is a postage stamp, there’s room for a bit of amp racket. There are drums? Ok then there can be guitar. I have a master volume, it works. Silent stage is something foreign to me.

17. Shiny_Beast

Shiny_Beast Supporting Member

Therre's a bar around here that has a bit of a rep of beating down the guitar volume. A local hero of mine plays there a lot, he's always LAF on stage and out front. They have their ducks in a row and they always sound great.

yawiney, slider and big mike like this.
  18. Tidbit

Tidbit Member

Having worked on the other side of the glass, this is a lesson that many guitar players never learned hence the soundman has to be the bad guy when they tell them that the Marshall stack, that sounds awesome on 5, is louder than what the PA in the small room can handle.
    And I'm not saying I'm immune to that fact when I play out as well. I've brought the wrong power and sized amp to many a gig.

19. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Supporting Member

Joe speaks the truth! I grew up wanting to be this guy:

[​IMG]

JP59, DrewwerD, Holzar88 and 9 others like this.
  20. BlueRiff

BlueRiff Member

Problem here is no one can agree in what ‘play to the room size’ means. What one person believes is reasonable might be viewed as skull crushing loudness to others. Kind of like when at a recent Jeff Beck show sitting right next to the mixing console (I could have literally reached over and pushed up the mains :D) and hearing the show at a full but manageable level and watching the sound guy push all of the levels up during guitar solos and song endings beyond the point of ear pain. I had to hold back an urge to yell at him “WTF are you doing? You’re messing up the show. Here, move over and let me run the board!” :p:p The thing is, not a single person around me seemed to mind which makes me think I must have sensitive hearing or something.