“when Did The Electric Guitar Become Such A Pariah?”: Joe Bonamassa

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by cochese, May 17, 2019.

1. Gurn

Gurn Member

The post below by a doctor of audiology says it all.

My hearing is still good because I carry foam ear plugs when I go hear live music. I do that because so many electric guitar players onstage are morons who play their guitars too loud.

"Your tone is only as good as your ears,"

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    Cb, Average Joe, Jabberwocky and 2 others like this.
  2. Cody

Cody Well, look who’s undead! Silver Supporting Member

[​IMG]

3. mvsr990

mvsr990 Supporting Member

A constantly amusing theme of TGP is that dance music is a new concept. Chicago house is closing in on a 40th birthday party.

27sauce, andybaylor, sahhas and 2 others like this.
  4. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

Right? And House music grew out of things in turn.

5. NashSG

NashSG Member

House music has it's gear nurds too, they just dream about old TR-808s and TR-909s.

sahhas likes this.
  6. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

Who doesn't?

mobius and sahhas like this.
  7. sinasl1

sinasl1 Supporting Member

U
    You’re a doctor. I play rock professionally. I like my rock kinda dangerous. It’s part of what it’s about, I’m not really interested in “emulating” rock with a safer, watered down alternative. I know how to play a loud rig dynamically, how to hit the gas and floor it and how to come way down when it’s appropriate. I’ve been fortunate enough to play with some of the greatest rock singers of all time. I wouldn’t have had those experiences if I had done some reasonable facsimile thereof when first playing/auditioning with say, Chris Cornell. Or Melissa Etheridge for that matter. She’s used to having guys like Kenny Aranoff behind her. It doesn’t have to be Pete Townsend in 71 loud but you better have some nuts in your tone at that audition.

I’ll stay in my lane, thanks. My hearings still pretty sharp I might add even after 30 years of this. No std’s (currently) or paternity lawsuits (or kids that I know about, at least ):cool:

8. Superstick

Superstick Supporting Member

Come on Pete! What do you and Joe B. Know? This is TGP. :aok
    Thanks for chiming in and fighting the good fight.

Mayor McCheese, DrSax and hurtwoodec like this.
  9. DrSax

DrSax Member

Some people apparently "read" that article thusly: "I'm JoBo, you should always play a Marshall stack on 11 full on all the time at the local VFW cuz selfish guitar god."
    lol silliness

mobius likes this.
  10. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

What was the last gig with loud guitars that woulda damaged your ears.
    These days it's a miracle if the guitar isn't drowned out.

As for hearing loss as musician...crash cymbals do a lot more damage than distorted guitar.

sinasl1, Mayor McCheese and DrSax like this.
  11. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

Yup...just gonna quote Mikey Tyson...they all have a plan til they get punched in the mouth...

Mayor McCheese and DrSax like this.
  12. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Member

Joe Bonamassa admits that he is losing his hearing gradually. And the more he loses his hearing the more he has to crank them up to hear himself. So, Joe's beef may not be with the soundman; he may not be aware that to hear himself with his damaged hearing he would have to crank them up way beyond what is considered reasonable to folk with good hearing.

His remarks must be read in the context of a man who is partially deaf and getting worse. Of course it is not loud enough; Joe Bonamassa is partially deaf.

PS I get it that amps have to be cranked up to be in that zone but for Pete's hearing's sake wear ear plugs and hand out ear plugs to your audience. Going deaf may not have stopped Beethoven but it sure helps to continue to be able to hear the music that you love.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    Oriondk likes this.
  13. Mark Ray

Mark Ray The RockTrain Gold Supporting Member

fishleehooker likes this.
  14. guitarbilly74

guitarbilly74 Supporting Member

So if you were offered a gig today with a major artist who wants no amps on stage, would you refuse to do it?

Isn't that the type of situation your new signature amp (with the dummy load and IRs) specifically addresses?

I understand you can also use a cab with the new amp, but isn't the IR feature there so you can still get a great tone when on quiet stage situations?

15. fishleehooker

fishleehooker Supporting Member

That quote is way older than Mike Tyson! I heard Woody Hayes use it too. Still an accurate quote tho

16. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

Your use of "I" and "me" may have confused matters.

guitarbilly74 and tiktok like this.
  17. mattt67

mattt67 Member

I'm a big fan of JB and mostly agree with what he says here,

BUT

I was lucky to see him live a couple weeks ago in Strasbourg France, at the Palais des Congrès
    (this is not an actual photo of the show)

[​IMG]

I was sitting in row 5, and it was just SO loud... I don't mind loud rock concerts, but in this case it was too loud for this venue, and the sound was not so good (at least from my seat).
    If the reference point is 4 dimed Fender amps, then all the other instruments have to be set accordingly and it becomes a sonic mess. You know, just like when you go to rehearsal, and no one can hear himself so you just turn up your amps louder...
    I was a bit disappointed...

That said, the one thing that struck me is the bands ability to play with dynamics, and there were a few moments when they played at whisper quiet volumes, and everyone in the audience was holding their breaths. But 90% of the show was just too loud, even the acoustic guitar was crazy bright and aggressive... I still had a blast though!

18. leftygeetar

leftygeetar Member

too many aimless noodlers like me. We killed it

19. redchapterjubilee

redchapterjubilee Supporting Member

I just spent the weekend running a three day festival in central Texas called LOUDFEST. Played it, ran sound at it, enjoyed it. PA's for vocals only. Bands mixed to sound like what a band sounds like in a 100 capacity room or a 200 capacity courtyard, not what a band run through a PA in a larger club sounds like. Yeah, it was loud. Some bands were better at figuring out their gear and sounded like they had at least a good idea of what level to be turned to for dealing with vocals and drums. 75% of the bands sounded great this way and were able to keep the right balance. Some I had to tell people to turn an up or down as needed. A handful of bands needed a drum overhead to help out but mostly the bands sounded natural and organic to me. Some bands had big rigs, some small, from combos to a band with full JMP stacks who made the most glorious Deep Purple/Steppenwolf style racket I've heard in years (Austin's Amplified Heat, check them out if you're into stoner metal/classic rock). The bands were stoked to be able to play, the 1000+ festival goers loved it, and earplugs were provided to whoever needed/wanted them. It was rad.

I realize this is not everyone's experience and that many of you do not have the option to use the gear or stage volume you'd really like to. You're playing covers, you're a hired gun, you're not playing metal/punk/alternative, etc. Horses for courses. Maybe our festival is an anachronism in the current day and age. But in the dozen years we've been doing this we've never had to beg for bands to play it or people to come to it. There's still an audience for loud rock and roll.

20. Imerkat

Imerkat Supporting Member

“when Did The Electric Guitar Become Such A Pariah?”

When it effectually died as a main staple of Pop music in 2010

sahhas likes this.