When did the ESP prices explode?

dreamspace

I remember 1-2-3 years ago, mint ESP M-II's would go for 700-800$. A Horizon about the same...I check out Ebay these days, the freaking LTDs are going for that. The M-II and Horizons are between 1.2k-2k$, they've almost doubled in price!

I mean sure, they're absolutely awesome guitars, No doubt (IMO some of the best and most consistent around)...but at that price one can pick up Suhr or Tom Andersons too on the bay.

ixnay

They're selling for those prices, or people are asking those prices?

eBay has been flooded with people asking ridiculous prices for just about anything, but the items almost always end with no bids and are relisted ad nauseum until the seller gives up or puts a realistic price on the item.

milli vanilli

There is another thread here somewhere that is similar... ESP for 2014 has totally revamped their lineup, opened a USA shop. Basically there is an 'original' line that has the horizon, the lp, and some new angular guitar, then there is a new line entirely called E2 that has the m2 as well as a ton of other models. I read in guitar world that the E2 line has like 38 guitars. I suspect E2 is what LTD was, so I'm really not interested. If you want ESP on the headstock its going to be even more expensive I'm afraid, so I'll keep saving up and just get the USA Jackson that ESP used to be an affordable alternative to...

dreamspace

I did some quick research, and here's what I've gathered...

"ESP Elite" are guitars between the high-end LTD series and ESP Standard series.
ESP Standards are either getting phased out, or replaced with an even higher end "Standard" series...maybe baked into the Custom Shop and Artists.

So even though the ESP Elite and ESP Standards are same guitars in terms of quality, the old and used ESP Standards are rising in price, because people want ESP on the headstock...not LTD Elite.

Kinda like if Gibson started printing "Epiphone Elite" on their Gibson Standard series, phased out the standards, and only printed "Gibson" on their Custom Shop and Artist models. Used Gibsons Standards would probably explode in price too, since you now would have to pay 5 grand to get a "true" Gibson headstock on your guitar.

milli vanilli

I did some quick research, and here's what I've gathered...

"ESP Elite" are guitars between the high-end LTD series and ESP Standard series.
ESP Standards are either getting phased out, or replaced with an even higher end "Standard" series...maybe baked into the Custom Shop and Artists.

So even though the ESP Elite and ESP Standards are same guitars in terms of quality, the old and used ESP Standards are rising in price, because people want ESP on the headstock...not LTD Elite.

Kinda like if Gibson started printing "Epiphone Elite" on their Gibson Standard series, phased out the standards, and only printed "Gibson" on their Custom Shop and Artist models. Used Gibsons Standards would probably explode in price too, since you now would have to pay 5 grand to get a "true" Gibson headstock on your guitar.
some of the ESP standards are now called original series and have the newer ESP logo on the headstock, but that's only a couple of guitars.. .the rest have E2 on the headstock and 'made by ESP' on the back. It would be more like gibson stamping G2 on the headstocks, still charging a ton, and then having Gibson only on custom shop headstocks.

milli vanilli

jackson has done a much better job. If you have the import chinese, japanese pro, usa, usa masterbuilt, and usa custom shop, they ALL say Jackson. You play a Jackson guitar.

jlb32

The used market will continue to rise since in 2014 to get a ESP with ESP on the headstock will cost a lot more than ever before.

All Signature models with ESP on the headstock will be Custom Shop. The ESP USA and Original Series lines will be in the $3K-$5K range.

The E-II line will be priced close to what the ESP Standards were. The Ltd. line will be the lower level line like it always has been.

Will not be good for ESP sales IMO. Pretty stupid marketing plan.

Last edited:

milli vanilli

WOW. The prices are up at the ESP site... want a horizon with ESP on the headstock? FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS for the 'original'.

Matt L

WOW. The prices are up at the ESP site... want a horizon with ESP on the headstock? FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS for the 'original'.
That's it? Hell....throw in one of those $6500 Willie Adler Signatures, too.

:bonk

On a positive note, the Charvel Jake E Lee now looks like a bargain at $2350!

jlb32

Yeah and over $4000 for one of the USA ESP Horizons.

ESP wants to be like high end Gibson and Fender models. The difference is high end Gibson and Fender models hold their value decently well. ESP does not. Pay $4000 for a Horizon and you will be lucky to get $1500 if you go to sell it.

Dr Doom

The Japanese production line ESP's that are basically on par quality-wise w/USA Fender or Gibson have been priced into the stratosphere forever.

JCar24

maybe its time to unload my (original logo) MIJ ESP Horizon. too much guitar for the amount i play nowadays anyways

ixnay

Regardless of the new pricing/branding of the ESP line, the OP appeared to be specifically addressing the used prices on eBay.

Since no one addressed the question in my first post, I did a quick search and pretty much confirmed my original suspicion. People are asking ridiculous prices for used ESPs, but few are actually selling for much more than they ever did in the past.

Trending Topics