When did the SFPR Market go nuts?

supergenius365

Silver Supporting Member
I bought a 1971 SFPR 4-5 years ago for $850 or so.

The last one I saw on Reverb I believe sold for almost $1300. There is one listed now for almost $1500. I know that asking price and selling price are different, but I am giving the seller the benefit of the doubt that he did some research to justify his asking price.

Did I miss something? Why are these going up in price when most gear (IMO) seems to be decreasing in price?

keithb7

The whole world is going nuts over small amps. Its a fad that will pass. Alone, compared to other small amps the PR is a nice little amp. If you live in the big city and commute on the subway to your next gig it works pretty well. I have a PR. I also have a 64 Bandmaster and a 71 Super Reverb. Tone wise the PR is the worst of the three. Thin and boxy in comparison. I have heard people talk about PR's having decent bottom end. Comapred to what? A Champ or a Vibro Champ? Surely not compared to my other amps mentioned. Sure its small and easy to transport. It however is nowhere close to the sweet, full thick, 3D tones from my 71 Super R, which cost me less than half of a 71 PR mentioned by OP. Fads and trends come and go, whatever. True sweet tone from a bigger amp still , and always wins in my opinion.

C-4

So many companies can replicate closely what a Princeton Reverb does at a far less expensive price today, that unless i definitely, absolutely, positively had to have only a real PR, no way would I consider spending what people are today for one.

hogy

Silver Supporting Member
That is so ridiculous. I, too, remember when they were everywhere for just a few hundred bucks. Didn't want one then because they just aren't that great of an amp. Pretty good clean sound, horrible when overdriven. And I like blackface Fender amps in general, just never got the Princeton Reverb thing.

Blue Strat

Light, sound good at home volumes, appeal to older guys with the most discretionary $$$ to spend.

ledzep618

Light, sound good at home volumes, appeal to older guys with the most discretionary $$$ to spend.
Ding Ding Ding.

They sound pretty awful over 5-6 on the dial, IMO. I mean people seem to forget that these were introduced as a line of practice amps for goodness sake. It's the flavor of the day though. Old rich bloozmen like the smooth tone of a small amp set on 2.

Open up any Princeton thread and you'll read some of the most ridiculous nonsense. I remember reading one where a guy claimed his PR got into straight up Marshall territory with the volume above 5 :nuts

swiveltung

Yeah... it sure has gone nuts. If you are not a collector, just buy a clone. less money and likely more reliable.
For low volume they are great, but I've had a few and they will eventually just not keep up with the full band at a lot of gigs.
The last PR I bought was probably 5 years ago off Ebay for $375. It had been badly hacked and in a head cab. Restored it fine though. They are so simple.

Muzzy

Silver Supporting Member
As far as I'm concerned, anybody that spends big money on a princeton reverb is an idiot. It's easy to get a much better amp for that kind of money. They're not that special by any means.

buddastrat

On the small amp thing, Joe Walsh sounded pretty awesome with a little champ amp. he always said he preferred small amps. Not sure if you all are talking about small amps, or only SFPR.

cpa2guitar

I bought a 1971 SFPR 4-5 years ago for $850 or so.

The last one I saw on Reverb I believe sold for almost $1300. There is one listed now for almost $1500. I know that asking price and selling price are different, but I am giving the seller the benefit of the doubt that he did some research to justify his asking price.

Did I miss something? Why are these going up in price when most gear (IMO) seems to be decreasing in price?
Sounds like it may be time to consider taking a profit.

Kirk

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
The value skyrocketed about a week before I got into the market to buy one. I traded another amp to get one (It has since moved on). Now that irony need a PR, I'm sure the going prices will plummet to make the equity of the amp I traded my Princeton for worthless.

swiveltung

The value skyrocketed about a week before I got into the market to buy one. I traded another amp to get one (It has since moved on). Now that irony need a PR, I'm sure the going prices will plummet to make the equity of the amp I traded my Princeton for worthless.
Ahh yes... another investor like me!

smolder

Platinum Supporting Member
I'd much rather carry the bandmaster and a 1x12.

As little as I use reverb, I have a pedal on my board for that.

smolder

Platinum Supporting Member
So many companies can replicate closely what a Princeton Reverb does at a far less expensive price today, that unless i definitely, absolutely, positively had to have only a real PR, no way would I consider spending what people are today for one.
Do tell? Fender can barely do it by off shoring with a PCB. If costed the one-off components and think I could easily clear $3 an hour for the build.

Trending Topics