When Did They Start Wiring Single Coil Guitars RWRP for humbucking?

Fatherflot

Straightforward question prompted by a comparison of my Squier JM Jazzmaster and my old Fender '66 JM. I don't have the old Fender, but the Squier seems much quieter. Is it safe to assume that the two JM pickups were not wired RWRP back in '66?

fenderjapan

World Heavyweight Champion
Silver Supporting Member
In terms of intentional use, it was probably first used on the Fender Jazz Bass in 1960.

John C

Gold Supporting Member
On a Fender guitar it was much later than the bass - I think it was the first American Standard Strats so call it January 1987 (although they did a bit of a soft launch of them in November or December of 1986).

That being said I believe pickup companies like Duncan and DiMarzio were offering reverse-wound pickups in the late 1970s/early 1980s, if not earlier.

EADGBE

It's a good idea whoever started doing it first. Leo Fender once said that when he first started wiring up strats that he couldn't get a five way switch. So he just stuck with the three way ones.

mc5nrg

Silver Supporting Member
IIRC on Fender stratocasters the rw/rwp started w/ the MIJ product mid 80s during the early post CBS FMIC era.

JPIndustrie

I thought Leo didn't like the sound of the 'honky' sound of the in between positions, thats why he spec'ed the 3 way?

LReese

Pre-CBS Tele's might have had them - can't confirm right now.

I know Duncan had them around '1982 or 1983. My first exposure to an RWRP middle was on an '84 Jackson.

These days - I absolutely dislike RWRP sets, one of the reasons I have not bought a Fralin set yet (Yes I can buy 3 neck pickups). Its a small difference, but its just something I can pick up on and it bothers me.

2HBStrat

I'm pretty sure that the second generation Precision bass split pickup was wired that way.........

Trending Topics

Top Bottom