When did wall voltage change?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by twinrider1, Jan 30, 2008.

1. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

When did the electric company up voltage from 110 to 120?

2. GearHeadFred

GearHeadFred Member

3. jbever

jbever Member

After a very long day at work thank you. I needed that! HA

4. TwoTubMan

TwoTubMan Member

I'm lucky enough to be the first house off the box, so mine spikes to between 140-150 on a regular basis

5. TimmyP

TimmyP Member

You need to have the power company come out and take care of that. I'm surprised you aren't blowing applianced and lightbulbs constantly.

"In the United States[3] and Canada[4], national standards specify that the nominal voltage at the source should be 120 V and allow a range of 114 to 126 V (-5% to +5%). Historically 110, 115 and 117 volts have been used at different times and places in North America. Main power is often spoken of as “one-ten”; however, 120 is the nominal voltage."

6. Trout

Trout Member

As fast as our computer power supplies and light bulbs go out here, I would guess wall voltage changes about every 37 seconds.

:D

7. Tonekat

Tonekat Member

Apparently the large condo project a few miles down the road from my neighborhood is causing spikes on our lines as they turn on/turn off/switch the power. We were constantly losing bulbs on our low voltage system and range hood. Our electrician installed a whole house surge protector and things are much better. With all appliances having microchips in them now, it was well worth the price, around 400 including install.

8. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

I was just wondering about the folks using variacs to drop voltage to 110vac. When did that situation start. And for amps with power supplies designed to take 120vac, it is still wise to go with 110 in order to keep the tubes happy.

9. antik

antik Member

I have a piece of equipment from 1965 that has a multi-tap power transformer. One tap is for 117V and one is for 125V. Another piece of equipment, this one from 1981, has a 110V and a 120V tap.