• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

When did "You guys sound like Zeppelin!" become and insult?

caledoneus

So, this pertains to the band Greta Van Fleet. I've seen quite a few people who were discussing/ reviewing them, and one of the comments they will make to prove that Greta Van Fleet isn't that good is, "Well, they just sound like Led Zeppelin..."

I'm sorry, but if the best "insult" that a critic has for a band is that they sound like one of the greatest bands in music history, then maybe they are just a good band...

Thoughts?

Funky54

I think they sound a lot like them intentionally for “some” of their songs. I hear other influences as well.

It’s ridiculous and shameful how some of us act, every one of us has tried to sound like someone. Good for them. I hope they create cool new epic rock that shows their passion, respect and love for bands who came before them.

Original blues artists bent strings to sound like horns that they couldn’t afford. Music evolves and grows.

For every cry baby (myself included) about how Rock has died in mainstream, today’s music sucks... blah blah blah.. then soon as somebody does great old school rock, what you complain?

I buy everything they do! I want the industry to see I’ll support them! Rival Sons, Blues Pills, Temperance... I won’t support what’s on the radio. If you want new Rock quit squashing everything that comes along.

tiktok

Silver Supporting Member
So, this pertains to the band Greta Van Fleet. I've seen quite a few people who were discussing/ reviewing them, and one of the comments they will make to prove that Greta Van Fleet isn't that good is, "Well, they just sound like Led Zeppelin..."

I'm sorry, but if the best "insult" that a critic has for a band is that they sound like one of the greatest bands in music history, then maybe they are just a good band...

Thoughts?
"You sound like LZ" is different from "You sound just like LZ" or "All your songs sound like pieces of re-arranged LZ tracks".

caledoneus

Unless you’re in GVF or you’re their helicopter parent, why would you care what some music critic thinks?
I've just thought it is a funny way to try and insult somebody... I don't really give a crap what people think about them, me or Zep for that matter. You guys do you. Still a stupid insult though.

Papanate

It's not so much an insult as an awareness of Greta Van Fleet's lack of originality. It's like a lot of semi tribute bands - such as Rhino Bucket - who sound a lot like AC/DC most of the time. The part that bothers me is it's hard to hear any Rhino Bucket in their emulation.

Funky54

They said this same crap about Rival Sons. They are true to form "Vintage sounding" but they are doing their own thing. This is a bunch of kids... give them a break and give them some time.

Did you sound that good at their age, did you make radio? They did. That's a great start. Encourage and support, see where they go. At least it's not some crying emo evolved into Ambient reverb into reverb into reverb delay... or worse, no guitar.

Trending Topics