When did "You guys sound like Zeppelin!" become and insult?

zep41

90% of the issue for me is that it's impossible to not take the singer as a full on joke.

The other 10% is that it's a little too "school of rock" ish for my liking.

But still good for them. They have people's attention that's for sure.

I Am Misery

... Hated 99% of the singing in the original which as a kid I saw at the local cinemas. Hated.
when i think of that movie i don't think about the singing. saw it when i was very young, one of the first movies to really make a big impression on me (along with SW/ESB, of course).

JB Eckl

Remember when every white blues player in every city in the US and Canada started to sound like SRV? Like it was just an unavoidable thing, you had no other options than to sound like him?? Well that says nothing bad about SRV, but it got to a point where the appeal of any new blues kid was how much he DIDN’T copy SRV. Truly.

Same deal I guess.

mdubya

Remember when every white blues player in every city in the US and Canada started to sound like SRV? Like it was just an unavoidable thing, you had no other options than to sound like him?? Well that says nothing bad about SRV, but it got to a point where the appeal of any new blues kid was how much he DIDN’T copy SRV. Truly.

Same deal I guess.
Some still don't get that.

DewieCox

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah, really.

And these are a bunch of 19, 20 year old kids... as they grow up, they'll find "their own identity." What's so terrible about them taking a little inspiration from one of the greatest bands in rock history? I don't get the hate... what, whatever
But they’re not 19 and 20 years olds. They’re 23, 20 and soon to be 21. This is stuff that 16 and 17 year olds might put together and with the ability of young people these days that’s probably pushing it. Plenty of super young talent has made an impact without completely aping a bands complete style.

For those saying that GVF don’t sound like Zep, stop trying to sound smart. It’s clear they have one and only one influence and the fact that they have downplayed that influence is kinda gross.

Trending Topics