• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

When do you all believe music started to decline?

Surfbuddha

When do you all believe music started to decline ?

When do you all feel it started to decline for you?

I believe technology and creativity came to a musical apex in 1971.
Creativity is always there but production values don’t always fulfill. It seems that after 1971 technology overtook creativity in importance in production values.

gazfrome

I'd rather not. I'd rather listen to someone like Joni Mitchell (a true musician who's actually known and not some random YouTube content maker) and who said music of the 90s was "appalling." No offence.
Ha! I had to chuckle to myself at that one because Joni Mitchell's music is like fingernails down a blackboard to me! Lots of people have tried to tell me how great her music is but I just can't stand it. Just shows how our musical tastes are all different! I've heard her music for decades, usually on the radio and it just baffles me why people like it. I'm not saying it's bad - obviously millions of people love it - but for some reason I just hate it. On the flip side some of Rick Beato's critique I agree with and some I don't. He's not just "random" though, he does have a professional music career behind him, and he knows a lot about music and guitar playing to boot. :)

John E.

I have found a pretty decent marker for whether I’ll actually find something listenable (with relatively few exceptions) is whether or not a) it was recorded in or before 1996, or at least b)the artist in question was recording and writing prior to 1996. This was early college for me, and psychologically speaking, music from that era of your life tends to be “your music.” I am not opposed to trying new things, and have occasionally found myself tuning into the local “Hits” station when I’m on the road, but my go-to music is from that ancient era of grunge/alternative/metal/post-grunge. For example, I dig all of Tool’s music, but 1996’s Ænima is one of my favorite albums of all time.

Boogiedown

The musical creativity in R n R, Blues and Pop Music ended when the great musicians of this music disappeared after there were only repetitions. In my opinion and for my taste it all ended at the end of the 60's. Thank God the Southern R n R is still alive and well and the Bluegrass too, this is just my personal idea.However, we must always hope that the new generations will be able to find a new musical lymph. Music will never end

B29 fifi

Well, I’m 140 years old and believe music started to decline after Barber Shop Quartets lost popularity. They just don’t sing em like that after around 1919.

Of course, I’m just ribbing you because I don’t believe music has started to decline at any decade. I have preferences in different decades but find great music still being made.

I tend to think that those that can’t find good music in the current age, have lost their mojo at the decade they say good music died in. They’ve gone curmudgeonly.

I say, expand your musical tastes to include the 90’s, 2000’s, 2010’s, 2020’s, etc - gotta look harder and listen with an open mind.
I agree. Starting in the 90's, it did go downward.

bdfletch

all good observations but lets look at the question from 5000' up. Just asking the question and having sooooo many responses, answers the question. Why the necessity to even ask the question? Obviously, something is amiss is all I mean.

gazfrome

I say, expand your musical tastes to include the 90’s, 2000’s, 2010’s, 2020’s, etc - gotta look harder and listen with an open mind.

☝Plenty of great music here. Don

☝Plenty of good music from these years. You’ll have to find it yourself- don’t expect commercial radio to push it out to you.
[/QUOTE]
I think that is maybe the difference nowadays, and why I think music has been so terrible since approx 1990. In earlier decades (ie the peak "radio years" 1920s to 1980s) you didn't have to search hard, great music was seemingly everywhere around us, so the perception now is that it's all awful, because the music that is everywhere around us is pretty dire.

I haven't heard any really great music that grabbed me for decades. I can't think of one new artist since 1990 that I really like. I know I should look harder, but it seems like a bit of a thankless task trawling through the dross just in case I find one. Long gone are the days for me when you'd hear a song on the radio, or your mate would play a track and you'd just have to find out what it was because it blew you away.

Maybe it is just age, but as a life long music lover I don't think so, I really want to hear great new music, but it never seems to happen.

I do find incredible music that is new to me - but it's all old, usually 1940s - 70s

robertkoa

Right around 2000 , the Internet Downloads ridiculously low royalty rates for lesser known artists is what really took the worst toll.

There was a lot of great music in the 90's still but it became far less profitable and even though people thought record companies were bad - the Internet sucks more .

It will necessary to stage massive boycotts of the major download platforms and new ones must be formed which offer at least a cent or more per dollar downloads with straight accounting.

When you look back from one place in time to a whole decade everything seems better cause of the wide time span .

I don't want to get into quality debates - but obviously there have been more great groups of all types in the 70's or 80's or 90's than 2000 to 2010 in Pop / Rock/ R&B .

tripproo.7879

I believe around the early 90s (1993-1994). Felt the 90s as a whole sucked for music. With a few exceptions like Grunge but that's it really.

I'll always maintain that the 50s-80s were the golden ages of music but that's just my opinion anyways.

I believe that the decline with Music initially began with Bush and Creed. Then Korn and Limp Biscuit. Fast-forward to the not too distant future from those 2 bands and you arrive at Nickelback. Those 3 genre's (Bush and Creed being in one genre, Korn and Limp Biscuit in another, and then Nickelback) all had bands that began sounding the same. Bush and Creed were the sloppy leftovers of "Grunge" (I hate that term), Korn and Limp Biscuit began the terrible age of Nu Metal, and Nickelback brought in the total decline. Every. Thing. Now. Sounds. The. Same. It's complete over produced, auto tuned horse sh*t. But, that's just my opinion.

Jaywill

Music has never declined.
Main stream music has definitely declined though.
There’s some absolutely amazing music being made today, but nobody is serving it to you on a platter like the old days. You have to search really hard for it!!!
Music is doing fine. Humanity on the other hand…

trickness

Analog with a side of DSP

I believe around the early 90s (1993-1994). Felt the 90s as a whole sucked for music. With a few exceptions like Grunge but that's it really.

I'll always maintain that the 50s-80s were the golden ages of music but that's just my opinion anyways.

Shouldn't this be titled "At What Age Did Your Personal Life Change Replace Searching Out New Music Less Of A Priority Than Things Like Grill Maintenance And Comfortable Chinos Leading To A Myopic Sense Of Nostalgia and The Delusional Notion That "Music" Declined, When In All Likelihood It Was Just That Your Waistline Was Increasing?"

Music has never declined.
Main stream music has definitely declined though.
There’s some absolutely amazing music being made today, but nobody is serving it to you on a platter like the old days.
They are, it's just a rectangular platter rather than a round one these days.

jaykojc

Pop music has been crappy for time immemorial. The good stuff endures. As much as there were the Beatles and the Stones in the 60s, there were also Herman's Hermits, The Archies and countless other bands that at best, we should forget. Same with yesterday, today, and tomorrow. If your contention is that Rihanna is worse than the Monkeys, we'll have to agree to disagree.

nosacter

Gold Supporting Member
It's hard to believe such a narrow-minded premise can generate 30(!) pages of discussion. Just for reference, I looked at the record reviews in Vintage Guitar mag yesterday and hit up Apple Music for 7 albums I haven't heard. That tends to happen most every month for me. I don't have time to listen to all the great new music being published--and I'm retired. No decline in my world.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom