When do you all believe music started to decline?

voxylady

I don't feel like music ever decline; you perceive it as declining for whatever reason.

So what I've learned from this thread is that there is a large population of "Old men yell at clouds" type here. There's more music out there in all genres than anytime in history. The problem is that back in the day, good music was curated and delivered neatly to you. Times are different now, and there's even more good music than ever before. But now you have to find it, instead of having it brought to you.

mrwilliamsburg

Silver Supporting Member
This thread reminds me of that movie The Wrestler from 2008ish when Mickey Rourke famously said: "The eighties f***ing ruled, man, until that [bleep] Cobain came and f***ed it all up."

SushiPowPow

Music declined for me when I was hella depressed.

Ever since assessing the root cause of this depression, music has continually been back on the rise of enjoyment.

stratovarius

Silver Supporting Member
So what I've learned from this thread is that there is a large population of "Old men yell at clouds" type here. There's more music out there in all genres than anytime in history. The problem is that back in the day, good music was curated and delivered neatly to you. Times are different now, and there's even more good music than ever before. But now you have to find it, instead of having it brought to you.

I am not sure how neatly it was delivered. If you couldn't find it in a record store, you couldn't find it. If you did find it, you had to base your decision based on nothing more than the album cover. Radio stations stuck to their play lists even then and they passed over quite a few great bands almost completely.

What us old-timers do miss is the communal aspect of discovering music. If anything was delivered neatly, it was through friends. Sitting cross-legged on the floor, passing the bong and listening to entire sides of albums in one go was how we did it. That's what old-timers are missing; maybe some young-uns too.

boo radley

So what I've learned from this thread is that there is a large population of "Old men yell at clouds" type here. There's more music out there in all genres than anytime in history.

That is true. However. There have never been more paintings, on canvas, on this earth than at this present time, too. But that doesn't change the fact there was an Impressionist movement in the late 1800's that shook the art world. I'm sure there are many contemporary painters in that that school and style, but I don't know them. <shrug>

Cultural, artistic epochs have an apogee, though they may be long-tailed.

The problem is that back in the day, good music was curated and delivered neatly to you. Times are different now, and there's even more good music than ever before. But now you have to find it, instead of having it brought to you.

See, I think that's a pathological change, not a sign of health. The art is basically free, with no meaningful live market, and can be discovered between "reaction" and gaming videos. Great.

Coopster

I generally would say the mid to late 90's with 2000's being the peak of when I started losing interest in "new" music... But I also accept that my tastes and general life were also changing at that point and can't really realistically say it declined as over the last decade or so I've found things that I truly enjoy and really like. So there's that. The real lesson here is that things change and either you can too or you can yell at clouds.

kev

fire hydrant
Double Platinum Member
has anyone said the year 1791 yet?

seriously, since when has music been on a decline? good music is good music, bad music is still...better than any day at the office? well...mostly

Raimond

Society has been declining as a whole since the advent of the internet, social media and reality tv.

Raimond

I desperately want to argue with your assertion.
35E65F0E-F72F-4001-BC62-A91A7EFCED7E.gif

kombi1976

1600……..

Let’s be honest. Everyone thinks the next generations of music are horrendous. Thankfully social media platforms are giving people the sort of publicity they wouldn’t normally have and they can stream with out record companies stealing their royalties……not that streaming companies are much better. The biggest problem we face today is having local pubs and bars give unknown young original artists gigs. They just want cover bands or old established artists.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom