When do you realistically think we'll be able to play gigs again?

pbecker314

My band BADLANDS has its first post-quarantine gig this Friday in Northern VA and we’re looking forward to it, although we’re nervous for sure too. I didn’t expect to play any gigs for the rest of 2020, so the relatively quick re-opening in early June has surprised us. Hopefully everything works out well, but a bunch of drunk people on a crowded dance floor is going to present some serious challenges. I have mixed feelings about the event, but we’re under contractual obligation to perform, and we want to start playing again, albeit as safely as possible. What a strange and unexpected situation to find ourselves in. But the show must go on! Pete

Last edited:

rreiser

Supporting Member
I've played five gigs since May 21st. According to several doctors and nurses I know, there were very few hospitalized in Wi .

pbecker314

Okay, thanks, that is some good news. We have had a lot of cases in NoVa, but the most recent trends have shown a decline. It’s a brave new world for sure. Pete

CDP

I've been told that outdoor patio's open in Maryland on June 1st. I have two monthly residencies with my acoustic duo, and both restaurants feature outdoor patio dining and a bar. I'm waiting for confirmation, and have sent emails out to both establishments.

jumpnblues

General quarantines are probably going to stay in place until at least June, if not through June. That'll be before people are going back to work for normal day jobs. My guess is August at the very, very earliest is the soonest you'll have a chance at live music in crowded places again. Even that is optimistic IMO.
Agree with you 100%. I think it will be alter vs sooner. Way too many people ignoring mitigation measures. Especially young people. I hope I'm wrong but I think a lot more people will have to die to get our attention. As I said, I hope I'm wrong.

bdm

Supporting Member
For Texas, gigs start back up on Friday. Hold onto your butts.
I’ve been playing in my local music scene since the mid 90s and I know hundreds of musicians in Houston, Austin and scattered across the country. I know of *one* band who set up a free rooftop show a few weekends back.

Not a single other band that I know has performed in public or has even so much as mentioned any future live performance at this point.

Granted I understand for many that may be their only income stream. Im fortunate to have a decent full time job and have continued working through this whole pandemic. I don’t *have to* gig so I recognize that is a bit of a privilege.

That being said I really question how eager the general public is to get back out to crowded dance floors and dive bars.

27sauce

I’ve been playing in my local music scene since the mid 90s and I know hundreds of musicians in Houston, Austin and scattered across the country. I know of *one* band who set up a free rooftop show a few weekends back.

Not a single other band that I know has performed in public or has even so much as mentioned any future live performance at this point.

Granted I understand for many that may be their only income stream. Im fortunate to have a decent full time job and have continued working through this whole pandemic. I don’t *have to* gig so I recognize that is a bit of a privilege.

That being said I really question how eager the general public is to get back out to crowded dance floors and dive bars.
That’s wild. It’s picked right back up as if nothing ever happened here. The first show I played(May 1) was bizarre, but everything after that was virtually effortless.

I played my first real show last week and it sold out. 750 tickets, limited capacity. Not a mask or social distancing in sight.

This weekend our regular schedule continues through Lubbock, midland, and Waco. If last weekend was any inclination, it will be packed.

Blanket Jackson

is Tio's favorite
Silver Supporting Member
I have a day hustle to fall back on, but I just wanted to say that I genuinely feel for all of the all-in full time players that are effectively unable to work (at least playing out live) these days. I don't have any answers, but I have been thinking about all of you a real lot. Playing out (on both sides of the stage) is such a part of our culture, and our historical experience of music, that the troubling prospect of not having live music for some time is really bothering me. Thoughts and prayers, my brothers and sisters.

guitarmook

I've been playing in and around Austin for almost 2 decades. I have a day job, so am not dependent on music for income. I am currently between bands.

I have several friends who are enthusiastically playing gigs, and have been for a couple weeks or more. I have several other friends who are NOT going anywhere. I'm in the latter group.

I have seen some clubs and clubowners who could not WAIT to reopen, and take pictures with their smiling fans and dancefloors. I have also seen clubowners who have posted that they are not, and will not be open, until they feel it is safe for their employees and their patrons.

I have seen pictures of 'rooftop' clubs from last weekend that were FULL of people, without masks on. This is why I'm not playing, and not going out.

I'm personally not planning on 'rejoining' the music scene until there's a tested vaccine.

Adel2

My main band has an outdoor gig on a dock coming up in July. I’m bringing a mask along in case there’s not enough social distancing. Not comfortable with doing any indoor gigs right now though I really miss it.

Strato62

I do not expect to playing at our shows until the end of the year here in Minnesota. In fact, I think the year is a total washout.

gtrdave

I've been told that outdoor patio's open in Maryland on June 1st. I have two monthly residencies with my acoustic duo, and both restaurants feature outdoor patio dining and a bar. I'm waiting for confirmation, and have sent emails out to both establishments.
I'm still waiting for a yay or nay regarding a gig booked for this Friday in North East, MD. I know the venue is open and we always play outside there, but I haven't gotten a confirmation yet.

27sauce

I'm still waiting for a yay or nay regarding a gig booked for this Friday in North East, MD. I know the venue is open and we always play outside there, but I haven't gotten a confirmation yet.
Is the Fillmore Silver Springs having shows yet?

tapeworm

Seems many of the clubs here in Houston are back open for business. I know of quite a few gigs that took place this last week. No one was there but that’s not different than before the pandemic hit for those bands/venues. But gigs are happening and seem to be picking up momentum every day based on what I’m seeing. I got a call for a local blues festival today but they are still uncertain that it’s going to happen and a bit concerned. I’m on the side of waiting this thing out, though. No rush to get out there just yet.

MikeMcK

Silver Supporting Member
On Sunday I heard some music nearby, got on my bicycle and went around the corner to find two friends playing in a parking lot. The owner's had them there for a couple of weeks now.

I also got notifications that a couple of gigs scheduled for the next two weeks are canceled. Not that it's good news per se, but the fact that owners are reaching out to tell us means it's not an automatic cancelation. Hope this bodes well for everyone.

Trending Topics