When does one stop buying guitars?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by dead of night, Aug 5, 2008.

1. dead of night

dead of night Member

Hi. Having discovered two brands of electric guitars that I really like, I bought five total guitars within a year period. Although I sold four to help fund them, you would think I would be about done buying guitars. But that's not so.

I keep shopping online, and when the newness wears off my latest purchase after about five months, I begin making plans to buy another electric.

I have the very real fear that this will just not stop. I will continue to buy another guitar, and another one, and another. There will always be something else that's desirable, something with highly reviewed pickups, a great vintage color. Maybe it's just boredom and the desire for that endorphin rush that comes with every new purchase.

When does it stop? I don't think it ever will.

2. chucke99

chucke99 Member

It stops when they pry your last guitar purchase from your cold, dead hands.

3. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

:dude

4. MartinPiana

MartinPiana Supporting Member

The GAS bug has abated quite a bit for me lately, thankfully. The fact is that I play one guitar 90% of the time, and that's not going to change no matter how many more I have. I've got three top-shelf instruments and any GAS lust evaporates once I'm actually playing one of my guitars. I spend more idle time thinking about the playing aspect than the acquisition aspect. I always felt sheepish when it was the other way around.

5. XKnight

XKnight Member

I'm addicted to the quest for the holy grail. I'm sure I'll never find it, but I sure do enjoy the quest.

6. fretnot

fretnot Gold Supporting Member

When you run out of cash and the credit cards are maxed. :AOK

7. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

When one's lady threatens to kill one in one's sleep :argue

At least...that did it for me for a while :messedup

8. JS335

JS335 Member

I read the title of your thread to my wife. I was laughing. She said, "when you're wife tells you to stop buying guitars". I stopped laughing.

9. Structo

Structo Member

When you're too old to play them?

10. sinner

sinner Member

I don't want to sound like a jerk here because I'm the same way, buying for the joy of experiencing something new and different, and out of curiosity, but I think it will end when you're too busy playing, writing, recording, performing--too busy to take a break and look around the internet at all the pretty pictures...When you do take a break, you'd probably what to head off to the mountains and lock yourself in a little cabin (and take one acoustic) to write more songs.

11. MartinC

MartinC Member

hmmm ... 5 in a year sounds like a lot. I got the guilts over buying a Suhr Classic and a new amp within 12 months of each other ... without selling anything. I'm selling a Fender Strat right now (part way through installments from a friend) and I'm planning on picking up a Mira with the proceeds plus some pocket money that I'll need to put aside. I think that'll be it for a while :worried

12. dumbell78

dumbell78 Member

Sydney by way of Muddy Water Land (Chicago)
    With me it for the most part it was after getting close to that "tone" in my head. Its taken the last few years of buying/selling a number of guitars to finally narrow it down. For example I love the tone you get with a les paul into a marshall but after trying it out I realized I just cant get used to the short scale necks. Im just more of the Fender or Fender hybrid type player.

With that said I dont know if Ill stop buying in the future:)

13. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

When I was running a repair shop in the basement of a music store I watched guys doing this all the time. We called it "replacement therapy." Replacing a satisfying band, creative muse, whatever. Music is wonderful, but the realities of playing sometimes (often) can suck so I think buying guitars is one way to compensate.

14. Mattbedrock

Mattbedrock Silver Supporting Member

I'm struggling to hold myself to 1 a month.

15. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

16. mysticaxe

mysticaxe Member

when do you stop buying guitars? when someone takes the internet away and you can't see all the hot stuff that other people have!

Seriously.

17. mertzy

mertzy Member

After trying to "broaden my horizons" and a buying flury over about four years, I came to the realization that not only am I a strat guy, I really can't play much else. So I sold off what I had at the time; a PRS, two lesters, and a tele, took a load of money from my 401K, and purchased a 1964 strat.

That 64 is so nice that I now am in the process of selling off to widdle it down to two strats and one homebrew tele (with contours). I don't see myself wanting anything else so the quest is over for me.

I guess what I'm saying is to decide what type guitar you prefer and then buy the best of that type. Your quest should be over then, where can you go from there?

18. jeffwith1f

jeffwith1f Member

I feel the same way. I also bought 5 last year (and sold 4)
    and I will have bought 2 for sure this year, and am seriously eyeing a third, and that's not including all the stuff in shops around me that is on the periphery of my interest, that I'd have if I had more $$$

I fear it's becoming a problem.

I know I'm not looking for a holy grail tone. I like the tone I already have. For me, I just love guitars. I think I'm trying to curate my own Museum of american solid body guitars.
    and while I do it, play some kick-ass rock and roll.

19. Bankston

Bankston Member

I've had GAS for the entire 25 years I've been playing.

I don't see it stopping anytime soon.

One obsession I'm trying to break is buying multiple copies of the same guitar and vary my collection so that everything does something different.

20. opdev

opdev Member

When you own a burst and/or a black guard. You can at least rest some....