When Gypsy Jazz evolves

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Jim Soloway, May 20, 2017.

1. swlees

swlees Member

That's a nice piece.

2. DRS

DRS Member

Thanks, Jim

3. Blooby

Blooby Member

Super enjoyable. Thanks for the post.

Blooby

4. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Tasty stuff, Jim.

I dipped my toes into GJ for a while. Grew to love the genre and have lots of discs of it laying around. This is a wonderful revisioning of that style

5. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Member

I discovered their newest album, "Les Coeur Des Vivants" (which this piece is from) on iTunes the other day. It's all of this distance from traditional GJ. Nest I had a listen to their previous album from about 6 years earlier and it was pretty much straight ahead GJ complete with the Pomp. I was really struck by their willingness to take such a formalized genre into some new direction. Most of the album stands up really well. I love finding hidden gems like this.

derekd likes this.
  6. FrankW

FrankW Member

I love Les doigts de l'homme! Such a badly needed breath of fresh air in this genre!

Jim, their previous album "Mumbo Jumbo" was already in this direction, with an accordeonist as special guest. Some songs with "La pompe" others nore eastern-european influenced, or similar to the one posted above. The one before that was their Homage to Django, called "1910". All their albums are worth checking out!

This is my favorite from Mumbo Jumbo:

7. markbosko

markbosko Member

into new age music

ned7flat5 likes this.
  8. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I love when you find hidden gems like this, also, because you always share them with the group.

Thanks, Jim!

Jim Soloway likes this.
  9. B Money

B Money Member

I couldn't pick Gypsy Jazz out of a lineup, but I like this whatever you call it.

10. DRS

DRS Member

Never heard of Django Reinhardt?

11. DGA

DGA Supporting Member

I assure you that if you have ever watched television or movies you have heard gypsy jazz. You might not know it by name but you would instantly recognize la pompe, the gypsy rhythm style, it you heard it.

12. B Money

B Money Member

Sure I have, but I'm not familiar with all the different sub-genres of Jazz to be able to identify the subtle differences between certain styles. I like "Friday Night in San Francisco", what kind of jazz is that?

13. DRS

DRS Member

You have great taste! Django is gypsy jazz. The driving swinging rhythm, gypsy flavoured violin, fast solos on a dry Selmer acoustic guitar with no sustain.
    Friday Night in San Francisco is The Trio. Al, Paco, John. It's also its own thing. Is it Fusion? World? Awesome!

14. GerryJ

GerryJ Member

Just for the record, is it 'Gypsy' or 'Gipsy'? I think the Europeans spell it the 2nd way.

15. Dave Wakely

Dave Wakely Member

As a European, we normally spell it Romani or Sinti, not that it matters. Lovely music, Jim, as ever: always partial to the experimental end of Manouche (Gonazalo Bergara is terrific too) or to any bands that take a trad musicl form and take inspired liberties with it. (There's a great Portuguese band called Fado Em Si Bemol, for example: fado meets Piazolla meets not sure, but I like it.)

16. jaxapi

jaxapi Member

here is the next generation :

17. Dave Wakely

Dave Wakely Member

Apologies for reawakening a defunct thread - I've been away from TGP for a while, but had my memory jogged by a Google search for Les Doigts de l'Homme.

Another recent band whose 'gypsy jazz +' style has grabbed my interest is Rhythm Future Quartet. This is from their first album:

Any more musical suggestions in this area would be very welcome!

derekd likes this.
  18. FrankW

FrankW Member

Have you heard of Sebastien Giniaux?

19. Dave Wakely

Dave Wakely Member

I have, and somewhere in the overflowing stacks of the CDs in the house I have a copy of Medlodie des Choses, so I'll track it down to start my new year with a change of soundtrack - thanks for reminding me.

I've also been listenening to Jon Larsen and his Hot Club de Norvege, and admiring the composition as well as the playing. Any more suggestions to keep my ears open always welcome :)