When I push a Fender to more than '5' or '7',

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bbutler123, Feb 22, 2012.

1. bbutler123

bbutler123 Member

it seems to poop out. It seems like the components are saying, "Man, I just can't keep up with all this volume we're being asked to produce."

When I push a Marshall, it seems like it can go up to '7' and maybe even '10' without producing that component 'giving up' thing. It just remains strong.

What is the difference in the two amp brands that would cause this phenomenon? Or don't other people notice it?

2. dysorexia

dysorexia Senior Member

I don't have that problem with my fenders or marshalls. Both sound great cranked up. What's the amp in question?

3. DRS

DRS Member

Which Fender? You can't tell me that if turn a Twin Reverb to 7, it is out of breath? A Deluxe Reverb, yes. But that is part of what people want - that singing compressed tone as the smallish tranny and tube rectifier try to keep up.

4. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Don't get caught up in numbers. Go by sound, every amp has it's sweet spot. As for old Fenders, they have a loose bass, while Marshalls have tighter. That is a factor with volume. Something technical about the eq or tones being placed in different part of the circuit. I always like the Marshall design more. But I'm a rocker more than a blueser/

5. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

Lower the bass control, that'll help.

6. dmagalhaes

dmagalhaes Supporting Member

I'm with Buddastrat. With Fenders, there really isn't any useful volume after 6-7 anyway and that is usually right around the sweetspot. Why would you even need to play a 40-50 watt amp on 10?

7. vain_guitarist

vain_guitarist Member

"Fender" - what model?

Smaller open-back combos can have a tough time being punchy especially in a large area without a back wall nearby. Has anything changed with regard to where you're using the amp now?

8. AL30

AL30 Member

Yep. Hard to answer your question without the necessary info.

I don't like Deluxe Reverbs for that reason. But I've never had any problem with twin or a bassman. A twin on 7 will likely get you arrested.

AL

9. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Member

I'm with this. Find the sweet spot. Use it.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  10. Drewski

Drewski Supporting Member

Man Im not sure what amps youre playin. Not tweeds or browns thats for sure.

11. amphog

amphog Silver Supporting Member

5-10 is more voice than volume, not only with Fenders

12. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks Member

in a direct comparison that will be the case.

However, what people think as flubbing out or the sweet spot or the perfect amount of sag will differ.

Marshall's have historically used more filtering.

13. rmconner80

rmconner80 Cantankerous Luddite Silver Supporting Member

The corollary to this: don't ask an amp (Fender) to do what it can't (Marshall).

Interestingly, some old Fenders are 'sweeter' than others. Some of this comes down to the circuit / model differences; some the speaker /tube / bias / voltage differences (even between examples of the same model), and some comes down to just a random assortment of variables that are difficult to pin down and quantify. Some just have it, some just don't> the ones that don't seem stiff, they seem to fight you at break up, they seem to be farty / nasty / unpleasant.

14. ken374

ken374 Member

Good question I ask my self about amps, almost every amp did that, too many watts for my bacement (100 watts) engl or JVM 50 watt into a 412 greenbacks. But lower watt 15 vox hw and VHT 6 watt can dime it easy and sounds great! fender supersonic or class 5 can dime also:):mmm

15. dsmc80

dsmc80 Member

I've never owned any older Fender that does that. I have heard plenty of their new offerings do this. For my money though, their new amps are garbage.