When I roll back on my volume knob.....

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Bronze, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Bronze

Bronze Member

When I roll back on my volume knob (of my prs guitar), it loses some of its treble, and sounds a little dull, how can I fix this?? I've heard good things about the RS upgrade kits for prs guitars...any suggestions??

2. Jim Fisher

Jim Fisher Silver Supporting Member

Some PRS models come with a 180pf cap installed on the volume control. My McCarty didn't and I don't think the HB's do either. The purpose is tp preserve the treble when you roll the volume control back so it doesn't get muddy. Here's a picture I took of the one I installed on the McCarty and it worked great!

[​IMG]

HTH, Jim

3. Bronze

Bronze Member

Ive got a Artist package, do you know if it comes with that cap?? And if not, where can I get the caps at?

4. Jim Fisher

Jim Fisher Silver Supporting Member

Just pop off the cover and look at the volume pot to see if you already have one. You can get 'em at any Radio Shack.

Also, there's another active thread going on about the same thing that has a great line drawing.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=152474

Jim

5. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

I agree with the recommendation to go with a .001 cap and in fact replaced the stock lower value cap in my own PRS with one of this value (as explained in that other thread).

6. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

Alternatively a 680pfd cap and a 220K resistor:

[​IMG]