• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

When I turn the standby to "off" I get a fairly loud "pop"

wrxplayer

Gold Supporting Member
Should I be concerned? If so, what might be the fix? I just swapped out the pre-am tubes, which reduced transient hiss.

Amp is a Blankenship FBWSC, kind of a mix b/t Super Reverb and Tweed Deluxe.

RussB

low rent hobbyist
Has it always done this? If so, a capacitor across the standby switch terminals will cure that. If not, perhaps the standby switch needs replacement

pdf64

How about not using standby? If the amp has a tube rectifier, standby has no technical benefit, but rather the potential for drawback.

jay42

Basically, this is the inevitable end of most Standby switches in Fender amps and any amp with a similar setup. When I replace them, I put a .1uF/600V cap across the connections...Carlings are narrow. I've been in amps where a previous tech bent the lugs. Not the worst idea.

Last edited:

robrob

Merlin, The Valvewizard suggests a resistor across the standby switch terminals to eliminate the pop. It also eliminates the inrush current when you close the switch because it allows a 'trickle charge' of the filter caps. I do it to all my amps with standby switches.

ffoont

Would the same type of fix apply to an amp with switchable output? My Blackheart amp has popped loudly when switching between 15 and 7 watts since new. It would be nice to put an end to that.

robrob

Would the same type of fix apply to an amp with switchable output? My Blackheart amp has popped loudly when switching between 15 and 7 watts since new. It would be nice to put an end to that.
That output level switch is probably a pentode / triode switch similar to this Bassman mod I did to my 5F6A build. It pops too but I don't think there's much you can do to prevent it due to the instantaneous change in power tube screen voltage when the switch is flipped.