When I was 16, I thought...

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by B Money, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Mark White

Mark White Member

That playing guitar was down to some sort of innate talent that I didn't have, so I didn't try. I was about 30 when a friend played for me, and he'd only been playing 2 months, so I realised if he could do it, maybe I could too. That's when I started to learn the guitar.

Vaibhav Joshi and Corvid like this.
  2. BlueRiff

BlueRiff Member

… Rush was the only music worth listening to. I think I listened to only Rush for about a year straight ('79-'80).

Vaibhav Joshi and MkIIC+ like this.
  3. RevLoveShot

RevLoveShot Member

That it was about how fast you could move on the fretboard. Then someone older and wiser told me 2 important lessons—“it’s all in the right hand” (right handed), and ”the first five will get you paid, the rest will get you ****”

4. ifallalot

ifallalot Supporting Member

I needed a Marshall half stack

ant_riv likes this.
  5. WordMan

WordMan Member

Did anybody else refer to “Humdinger” pickups in a guitar store?

Asking for a friend.

6. MkIII Renegade

MkIII Renegade Member

That's what being young means. :dunno

7. MkIII Renegade

MkIII Renegade Member

I still need a stack, although I favor Mesa Boogie these days. ;)

ifallalot likes this.
  8. Radius

Radius Supporting Member

Home of Les Paul, Lambeau Field , Harley Davidson
    For a while there I bought into the guitar hero thing, thinking it was the guitar alone that made a song great or not.

9. Tom Gross

Tom Gross Silver Supporting Member

When I was 16 I thought Hendrix was in tune.

10. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

Homebound was my favorite Ted song. And no, it doesnt compare.

I will say Ted had great lead tone, if not taste.

WordMan likes this.
  11. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

When I was 16, Id been playing for one year and knew I would be the greatest guitarist in the world soon. I could hear any song or solo and be convinced I could play it better....even though I had no idea how to keep time.

Now at 55 I can appreciate the music of others and, while Im not the worlds greatest, I enjoy my own playing when its a good day. So, I got that going for me.

tone4days likes this.
  12. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

When I was 16, it was 1984. I thought that all of those metal players on the cover of the guitar magazine could play very fast, but they looked ridiculous and their music was awful.

buddaman71 likes this.
  13. DarthElvis

DarthElvis Member

Ahhh, youth is wasted on the young.

NorCal_Val likes this.
  14. Think Floyd

Think Floyd Member

Well, since this is a guitar forum, I'll post about when I first started learning (or should I say teaching myself) how to play at age 18 while in the Army.

For several years (actually, pretty many years) after starting to play guitar I still knew nothing about the physical characteristics or specs of a guitar. When I wanted to change strings, I'd buy whatever was cheapest and often switched between 9s and 10s. However, I didn't know that my guitar needed truss rod or intonation adjustments when I'd switch string gauges or maybe after weather changes. I had no clue that my guitar needed a proper set-up. I'd just throw on new strings, attempt to tune, and play away!

I didn't know that there was a huge difference between single coils and humbuckers; I didn't even know what those were. To me, pick-ups were all the same, and a guitar either had single pick-ups or double pick-ups. To this newbie, the only differences between Gibsons and Fenders were the body shape and number of pick-ups. I started out with Gibson guitars: first was a terrible no-name LP copy, which was replaced with a Gibson Marauder, and that was replaced by a Gibson ES-335-S Firebrand double-cutaway solid-body. I sold the Firebrand when I was hurting for cash, and later when I wanted a guitar again I bought a Charvel Charvette (Strat copy) because it was cheap and I liked the blue color. Did I know that everything about the Charvel was completely different from my previous Gibson guitars? Nope... didn't have a clue.

When I first started to play, my Army roommate had a Sunburst Fender Strat that I thought was ugly. I swore that I'd never get one, and went out and bought a Gibson style electric guitar. Yet, for the past 30 years I've been playing Fender Strats after replacing that Charvel Strat copy. Honestly, I really think that I went with Fender due to them being a lot cheaper than a Gibson. However, I still can't stand the 2 tone or 3 tone Sunburst Strats... I still think they're ugly! And today, I really want a Gibson (or clone) again!

Oriondk likes this.
  15. Tiny Montgomery

Tiny Montgomery Supporting Member

At least you were right, the majority of the time.

Tom Gross likes this.
  16. walkthewalk

walkthewalk Silver Supporting Member

Taylor Swift somehow manages to use banjo as a chick magnet :dunno

B Money likes this.
  17. twotone

twotone Member

When I was 16 I wanted a Gibson Firebird in the worst way. When I finally got to play a Firebird I found it awkward to handle.

18. jog

jog Member

I like this so much that I declare it the truth, which means you were right all along.

But: some of the better players can even play lead on a rhythm guitar...

:p

monty likes this.
  19. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

That Kirk Hammet and Slash were the greatest guitar players in the world.

20. RonH

RonH Member

Too funny. I was exactly the same way. Then I thought I needed a pedal to get the distortion sound which was partly true since the cheap Sears amp I had only made clean tones (well lets just say it sure didn't sound like the metal bands I was hearing). What I didn't know is I needed a distortion or overdrive pedal. I just knew I needed a pedal. So, I got a pedal. I plugged it in all excited waiting to hear that wonderful distorted tone and was completely let down when that didn't happen. I guess that Boss Phaser I got was just not working right :) It wasn't until my friend showed me his Arion Metal Master that I learned pedals did different things. I was actually younger than 16 during this period....probably around 10 or 11 years old.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    LeftyGtrPlr, ant_riv and Oriondk like this.