1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

When is a Blues Jr. better than a Rivera Jake?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by riverastoasters, May 13, 2005.

1. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

This actually happened. After a bunch of consultation, it was decided that the Rivera Rake was the right amp to send down to Memphis. And off I sent it. Trouble is, the van that got rented for the trip down was so small that it literally didn't fit. The problem appeared to be that you could reserve whatever type of vehicle you want - and the band's driver reserved a Yukon sized SUV. But the rental company didn't have any and basically stuck the band with a small-ish mini van. The actual physical difference in volume between the Jake and the Blues Junior was the difference.

So they went with the Blues Junior spare amp instead. One reason it was all the recording equipment since we are doing a live album.

We tracked two of the live shows down there with it. I'll tell you this - the Blues Junior didn't suck. Most people wouldn't know what they are missing. With a really good player a decent amp can usually turn in a good show.

2. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Supporting Member

Blues Jr. does not suck IMO. I took one out for a couple of shows this last weekend & I'm some my most favorite tones that I've been able to record are with that amp.

3. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

This is an all too common practice with rental car companies it appears. I had rented a Ford Ranger from a rental car company. I needed a pickup with a bed because I was going to bring back a grandfather clock my dad was giving me on the way back from National Guitar Workshop (see I tied this to the gear page).

They wanted to give me a SMALL SUV. I told them no way. Fortunately for me I had to go right by the Jacksonville Airport on the way up the coast so I could swap the SUV at the airport for an F150 (they STILL didn't have any rangers). Worked out okay but next time I'll know to make SURE they actually have the vehicle I need if it is crucial.

Glad your situation worked out. Blues Jrs. are pretty good although I find that my Super Champ (even smaller than a BJ) blows the BJ right out of the water. Thus I no longer have a BJ.

4. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

I felt this was worth repeating. Sometimes some of us are surprised when a chain store bought amp sounds wonderful, and we shouldn't be, that just happens to be the way it is.

5. Jack Walker

Jack Walker Supporting Member

I have a Blues Jr and all I did was put some good tubes in it and change the speaker to a Weber 12F150. It sounds great with my Asat or Strat. I use it quite a bit for small, quieter venues.

6. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Well no Blues Jr. does not suck in my opinion either. In the venues we were recording they could crank it up as much as they wanted. Plus, that guy is one of those great players who makes it sound like his sound has more distortion than it actually does. Guy can't use his feet so he works the pickup toggle and volume and tone pots like foot pedals and you would not be surprised to find that he's become extremely good at that.

But I've also heard him playing my Bogner Shiva and that was really special. When it turned out that my blackface Deluxe was not ok (reverb was needed) the one amp that made the most sense was the Jake. (The Blues Pearl Verbrasonic was committed to other sessions and the Tone King is too thin sounding for the way this guys plays).

All's well that end's well but I'll always wonder what the record would have sounded like if not for the rental company.

7. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Yeah I believe you. You can expect a guy that goes around calling himself "riverastoasters" to like Super Champs. Fine small amps, those.

My wife also has a Blues Jr., which she likes a lot. It's not a bad amp. But given the other stuff we would have had available for a larger size vehicle - Jake, 30 Watt Bogner Metropolis Reverb, etc., the Blues Jr. isn't the first call at least not for me.

8. Souled Out

Souled Out Member

I have 50th Strat Anniversary Blues Jr. It has a Jensen speaker in it with other small up grades. Nice shinney two tone burst cab to match the Anniverary Strat. Got a room full of high quality amps and I play the little Blues Jr all the time. Really good with Strat or Tele, of course. I love the tones I get from it. I am told mine sounds better than a stock Blues Jr. I have never A/B with a stock one though. Makes want to try a Pro Jr as well. Maybe even both at same time in stereo. Would wanted a tricked out Pro Jr, I think.

9. * velcro-fly *

* velcro-fly * Supporting Member

I think they're cool little amps....great tones available.

I'm thinking pretty seriously though of getting one on the cheap and sending it off to have the 18 watt Marshall hot rod thing done by that guy in Texas...I know, no more Blues jr....but.....

Steve E

10. ButchR

ButchR Komet Player Gold Supporting Member

I like my Blues Jr also. I used it on a short youth choir tour this past summer. I had to ship my gear to the gig and I didn't want to ship my Komet so I sent the Blues jr and it did well for the whole trip.

11. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    That would be Dabeck Custom Amps' BluesBreaker Jr. :
    http://www.dabeckcustomamps.com/prod02.htm

And I think this clip of it is just killer. Gives me GAS everytime I listen to it:
    http://www.dabeckcustomamps.com/bbjr.mp3

12. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

I've got a Blues Jr, and its a good amp, but there is a reason I'm saving up for a really nice amp...

considering how little I could get for selling it, and considering the value it has as an amp for me to use when teaching lessons or when playing dive bars, I'll keep it around, but I'm really looking forward to getting into something like a Bad Cat Cub