When is it a good time to buy a Gibson LP (new)??

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mstre, Aug 13, 2008.

1. mstre

mstre Member

Hi all. I'm getting ready to purchase my first Gibson and I'm in between a couple but I was hoping somebody with some more buying experience could tell me usually when is the best time to purchase one of these guys. I'm planning to wait at least till Labor day since I know my local GC and a local mom and pop store usually have sales that day. Should I wait longer till November/December? Can I get a better price say on a 2008 LP std when the 2009s are about to come out?

Thanks!

2. silverface63

silverface63 Member

I would go used if I were looking for a new Paul. Keep an eye out in the Emporium. Tons of great deals right now. I like the late 90's early 2000 Standards. Plus no swiss cheesin and the regular old electronics.

3. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I wouldn't rely on a GC sale for a good deal. There are several well reputed dealers that will beat them by 20% or so every day.

4. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Why do you want a new one?

Used will always be cheaper.

5. mstre

mstre Member

I am not dead set on buying new and I have gathered that overwhelmingly people prefer older Les Pauls. When did Gibson start the swiss cheesing, so I have an idea of what years to avoid?

Thanks

6. humbuster

humbuster Senior Member

Aroound 3:30pm Eastern standard time.

7. mt1782

mt1782 Silver Supporting Member

I've bought a couple LP's new. One because it was a pretty limited 54' oxblood that I never thought I'd see local, the other because I didn't know any better. Saw a used ox about 6 months after I bought mine from wildwood much cheaper but way to late. The bottom line is just that, you can save thousands if you are willing to wait and find it used. I've had good luck used, finding great guitars with no wear at all on them for tons less than new.
    gratuitous pic
    [​IMG]

8. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I love gratuitous pics! :dude