When is it good to buy NEW guitars?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by RocknPop, Feb 26, 2012.

1. RocknPop

RocknPop Supporting Member

Just curious of when you guys buy NEW guitars from a dealer? Since the value drops quite significantly (20% to 60%) the moment you buy it.

I can only think of the following:
    - New model that nobody else has and you NEED to have it
    - Limited edition (fewer than 50 made)
    - Custom shop
    - Paranoid about buying used guitars

And, when you do buy new, who are some good PRS dealers?

2. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

Got my G&L Comanche new. It wasn't much more than an average used one and I got exactly what I wanted cosmetically (black with mirror pickguard); that was the kicker for me.

3. Stringrazor

Stringrazor Member

Desirable guitars seem to hold or increase in value through the years.

4. RocknPop

RocknPop Supporting Member

Do you think you could have gotten the same guitar used? Or a similar one and modified it?

I agree, but very few actually increase in value if you normalize for inflation (3% annually compounded interest).

5. Rango

Rango Supporting Member

I buy used mostly but...
    I've bought a few new ones but only if I could find a way to get it for less than people were selling "used" ones for....

That happens sometimes a "new" model guys will get excited and walk in and buy at close to full pop... :crazyguy ( I always wanted to use that smiley! LOL!!!)

Sales guys must love them! :D

Then they try to sell them for more than you can buy one new. :messedup

6. ronmail65

ronmail65 Supporting Member

I try not to buy new unless I want a perfect guitar, can't find what I want on the used market in acceptable condition or at a reasonable price [I don't want to pay 90% of new for a used guitar].

To answer your question above that I changed to red, PRS USA Made guitars are made in Annapolis MD [as far as I know]. Simply by virtue of location and because they started small, they may have a stronger allegiance with local Maryland dealers that have been with them since the early days.... like maybe Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center. Just a thought...

7. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

I've bought majority of my guitars used. But I have bought a handful new over the years. When I buy new, it's usually a very good deal on something that really impresses me. One of those guitars you just can't put down.

8. GearFlipper

GearFlipper Senior Member

That really depends on the guitar.

You want a standard model Ibanez, Fender, Jackson, or EBMM, I think you're better served buying used without a doubt.

But if you want something particular, like a Huber or Collings or a Tyler with a floyd... what are you gonna do, those pieces just dont come up on the secondary market.

I just dropped a stupid amount of money on a Huber Krautster 2. Its fabulous guitar, but I paid $1K more than I'd pay for a LP Custom '68 reissue on the used market (I love those guitars)

The thing is, you never see a Krautster 2 on fleabay or TGP. So when thats the guitar you want, sometimes you have to suck it up, or settle for your second choice on the used market. In my case, I wanted the Krauster 2, and even though $2400 for a LP Custom 68 reissue is a smoking deal.... sooner or later I'd be thinking about that Krautster, and you'd probably see the '68 RI in the emporium.

Moral of the story. Buying used makes major sense, unless what you really want is only avail new.

9. Donnie2112

Donnie2112 Member

All of my guitars thus far have been new, I like the idea of buying more used guitars but I just haven't thus far.

Even though I've played off and on for about 10 years now, since the "offs" have been more frequent than the "ons" I still consider myself to be a fairly "young" player and I only feel confident buying something that I can sit down with and feel.

I might just pull the trigger on one of the De Armonds with a tremolo and a "Digsby" that keep showing up though. I love my M-75 and I love the Bigsby style trem and those 2K pups.

edit: Plus I always feel good about supporting a local music store.

10. Telefan

Telefan Member

When one minute tells you that it's what you've searching for forever, and you don't care what it costs. If you let it get away, you'll never forgive yourself.

11. monty

monty Member

If it speaks to me and I have the cash....

12. dangeroso

dangeroso Member

I bought my LP new because it was a guitar I always wanted, and I wanted it completely unharmed. Also, didn't want to have to verify it wasn't a fake.

13. mhuxtable

mhuxtable Member

I never buy new guitars anymore....just seems like a waste.

The only exception is my Moog E1 since 1. They rarely pop up used, 2. With all the electronics, I wanted the full warranty, and 3. I got a screaming deal.

14. 5E3

5E3 Member

It depends. If you aren't certain you are going to like the guitar enough to keep it, you can sometimes buy them on sale (i.e. 15% off) from one of the dealers/retailers who offer a satisfaction guarantee. You get a couple of weeks or more to decide if it's a keeper. If not, send it back and you are only out the shipping costs (unless purchased locally).

Otherwise, buy used IMO.

YMMV

15. shane88

shane88 Member

now is a good time to buy a new guitar

16. Pax

Pax Gold Supporting Member

I've purchased both new and used. Honestly, I'm inclined toward used. If it is a quality build (PRS, Suhr, etc.), it's still quality after it has been played as long as it has been treated decently. As long as you know what to look for you can tell if you're getting a nice guitar. For the most part guitars are pretty durable items. You have to work at it to abuse them beyond what a simple set up can't fix. Yes, there are exceptions, but if you start with quality it is still a great guitar when used. And the savings are fantastic.

As for a good PRS dealer, I usually don't push big box, but the GC in Orlando on OBT has one of the best PRS selections I've seen.

17. djdrdave

djdrdave Member

There is a guy in Memphis that has a great selection of PRS's. I almost bought one online from him, but ended up getting one from Guitar Center.

18. GibsonLives

GibsonLives Supporting Member

I tend toward (semi?-)vintage these days, as I end up getting something which is either comparably priced or even cheaper than its new equivalent, and especially if the price of said vintage piece has already appreciated steadily, I figure, barring some tumultuous economic collapse (meaning, even worse than we've already seen in the past few years), they should continue to rise in value. A few examples from the last couple of years (note: all guitars listed below were bought in original and in great shape):

1987 Stratocaster Plus: $690
    1981 Stratocaster: $1850
    1982 "Dan Smith" Stratocaster: $1795
    1974 Gibson Les Paul Custom: $2299

19. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

I would only buy new if it's custom made for me (such as my Tony Iommi JayDee), or if it's one of a kind, or if it's something spectacular that I just have to get, or if it is a very limited run....

Now that I've thought about it I've bought more new guitars than I thought I did.

20. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

Not quite the same. It was hard to find a black Comanche. Also, the mirror pickguard and locking tuners would've been extra expenses. By the time I would've had those items made/installed, I would've only been about $150-200 away from a new guitar so it made sense to go new.