When is it time...

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Guitarzandstuff, May 20, 2015.

1. Guitarzandstuff

Guitarzandstuff Silver Supporting Member

To say goodbye to a pet?

We have a bedroom cat (rescue and stays in the bedroom as he's never got along with the other 2 cats in the household). He is getting up there in age, 15 years old maybe, and has now been deaf for a few years. Lately he has trouble grooming himself. He is an Angora which is long haired and he's constantly dreadlocked at this point. He also at times now pees and poops on the bed. He's def slowing down. He has a thyroid condition as well.

He seems happy enough and always purrs when people are around. He does at times cry a bit not sure if this is pain???

Anyway, when is the right time to say goodbye. I had a cockatoo a few years back who had cancer at 4 years old. We tried surgery etc. but in the end she suffered as we tried to hold on as long as possible. I cannot get through that again, watching such a beloved "family member" suffer needlessly because of our selfishness.

Any thoughts?

2. sundog964

sundog964 Supporting Member

When they are suffering. It sounds like you have given him agood life. It is time for a dignified death.

We put our Westie down a few years ago, it was hard, but we knew she was in pain and not enjoying life.

Porrig and TheClev like this.
  3. CosmicCowboy

CosmicCowboy Member

What the sundog said.

In September I had to put down my cat of 16 years. Eyesight was gone, liver problems, drastic weight loss. It was hard, but it was time.

4. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

ugh.. I don't even want to think about it.

5. drewl

drewl Member

Tough call, I've been through it, and my sister just last week had to put down her dog "Dude"

When they are either in too much pain, or don't want to eat or do anything, when their quality of life has been severely compromised it's probably time to say goodbye, no matter how painful it is for us.

6. Archangelyabbo

Archangelyabbo Member

I had a cat for 13 years, he was my best buddy. It was time for us to let him go when we were doing everything we could so that we would feel better, not the animal.
    He was sick and there came a point when now he was suffering and it was not fair to the cat.
    Keep regular vet visits, and speak to the vet on the health of the animal.
    When we had the cat put down, I held him. Very emotional, but the vet said that we did everything possible and the cat did not suffer.

Good luck.

7. MrX

MrX Member

There's never a good time to say goodbye to a pet. Been there, done that. I feel for you.

8. Guitarzandstuff

Guitarzandstuff Silver Supporting Member

I truly appreciate all your responses!! Thank you!

I guess the question is, how does one know whether or not he is suffering?

9. Mosfed

Mosfed The mighty mighty

You'll likely know.

Usually when they stop eating they've had about enough.

10. Craig Walker

Craig Walker WHO DAT!! Gold Supporting Member

I would say ask your vet.

11. Brazen

Brazen Member

This is always the toughest call to make. If your pets cannot take care of themselves it's time to consider the options. I had a cat who was 17 years old and we took her to the vet. We petted and sweet talked to her, she purred and died on the table.

12. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

Good suggestion. Vets generally love animals as much as we do, and they won't steer you wrong. If it's time, the vet will tell you. If it's not, they'll tell you how to maximize what time the pet has left.

Sending good thoughts your way. I know I have this dilemma in my future and dread it. I can only imagine what you're going through.

Craig Walker likes this.
  13. GasMask

GasMask Member

I've seen lists of questions designed to help one make this decision. You might try googling that.

It's a very tough decision to make.

14. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

I can only add this. With my first cat, I waited what in retrospect was a mere single day too long to put her down and I'm still haunted by it despite everyone else who knows me and knew the cat consoling me by reinforcing how loving I always was to her and how she had a wonderful 18 full years of life with me. With my next cat who also lived a full and happy 18 years with me, the day it was time I brought him in and put him down. And the same with my next cat who sadly only made it to 6 years old due to the immune-mediated hemolytic anemia that plagued him from birth. You know your pet best. You'll know when it's in your pet's best interests to let go and to let the pet go. Trust yourself on this.

Craig Walker likes this.
  15. CosmicCowboy

CosmicCowboy Member

As has been said, talk to your vet. Toward the end with my cat we were in nearly weekly, and the last visit I went in pretty well knowing it was the last visit. They ran a blood test and confirmed that things were going to go down hill very rapidly.

16. Craig Walker

Craig Walker WHO DAT!! Gold Supporting Member

Not trying to inflict further pain Jon, but the best thing we can do with mistakes is help others not make them.

Please explain what happened, and it may help me [and others] when I have to make that very difficult decision. :(

17. jcorrig

jcorrig Member

I've been thru this 6 times.Usually its time when they stop eating and start hiding.It never seems to get get any easier to make this decision but my vet gave me some great advice."Its better to do it to early than to late" My first cat had cancer and I put her thru 2 operations.I couldn't face the idea of letting her go.I will never put another animal thru that again.Better I should suffer than the cat.

Guitarzandstuff likes this.
  18. Johnny Moondog

Johnny Moondog Member

Our 12 year old little buddy started losing weight last year.

Turns out he has hyperthyroidism .
    We had a brief trial and error period with the med dosage - then he seemed to stabilize, with no lingering side effects.

So we got lucky this time, and he is back to his fun loving self.

We hope he has many years ahead of him - but if he was in pain, or fading fast - that would be a different story.

My best little bud will get all the care he needs, as long as it helps - but I won't want him to suffer.
    I don't think any of us want that for our pets.

The vet will give you advice and options - good luck to you.

19. aiq

aiq Supporting Member

Hard choice, been it a couple times with cats. The first I think we waited a little too long.

Determined not to let a pet completely waste away now.

Had a vet tell me when the cat stops eating and retreats to a safe place like a closet, not drinking, or having bowel function...probably time.

We found a vet who would come to your house...

20. StuRdesign

StuRdesign Member

I had a tabby she-cat. Very intelligent, opened doors or jangled the keys if she wanted to go out, switched house-lights on. One day she came in gasping for breathe, I thought she'd been running but she was no better an hour later. Took her to the vet, they ran tests and said she had lung cancer. I didn't understand how it could come on so fast, but the vet said cats are incredible strong, durable, adaptable animals and cope with a lot until they reach the tipping point where they just can't cope any more. She was only 8.
    It sounds to me like the OPs cat has reached that point, or is very close to it.