When is your board complete?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by GSVBagpuss, Feb 18, 2009.

1. GSVBagpuss

GSVBagpuss Member

I'm looking into building my own board and working on a "final" list of what pedals I want. I mean style really, rather than brand. Ignoring the problem of different types of chorus / OD / Wah being different sizes, what's the view on a full list of sounds you might need.

In my mind it's something like Wah, Tuner, OD, Dist, Boost, Fuzz, Chorus, Delay and Flange. Would that cover most things a standard covers band doing 60s - 90s pop would need?

Or am I being silly thinking this at all, the hunt for new pedals will never stop and so building something "final" and screwed together is a bad idea and I should stick to velcro and swapping pedals in and out as I feel.

2. dewey decibel

dewey decibel Supporting Member

we eat a lot of cheese and drink a lot of beer
    Are you in a working band? Or are you just planning for a be all, end all board?

I'm in two bands, so each pedal has a specific purpose (plus one or two that are on there just for random wackiness). And while I may swap one out for something that does what I need better, for all intensive purposes my board is done. At least till we write another song that has some effect I can't yet cover. :messedup

But yeah, that's why velcro is nice. You'll also want to experiment with pedal order too. As for your list, I guess it's OK but I don't think you'd really need flange. You have to ask yourself how important some these are to you. For instance, you can get away without a chorus if you have a delay with some heavy modulation. An EQ is a good swiss army tool that can double as a boost. Something like a Rat can cover distortion and fuzz in some situations. So it really depends what you're going for. I'd say pick the band/tunes first and go from there. If not just start with a tuner, OD/distortion, and delay.

3. zaraflux

zaraflux Member

When Im out of money strange it becomes incomplete when I have some extra cash

4. 155

155 Member

when I stop looking in the emporium!

5. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

normally the day before it gets stolen in my experience.......

6. E Baxter Put

E Baxter Put Member

I don't know about you, but I doubt I will ever be "done" with swapping out pedals... specifically dirt pedals.

7. stephen_b

stephen_b Member

this..... thanks for the superduper.

[​IMG]

8. d-b

d-b Member

When you quit hanging out at TGP!!!

:messedup:AOK:AOK:AOK:AOK:AOK:messedup

9. Wheeler004

Wheeler004 Member

It really depends on your needs in the band and in your style of music. I personally would never use a flanger (I just don't like the sound or feel like its applicable in my style of music), but you may use it every now and then. Just try to think about specific uses of each pedal and specific songs you will need them for. Also, think about what you are going for. Some people like to have one signature sound they have on all songs while others like a little variety among tones.

10. clothwiring

clothwiring Member

My board became complete about 2 years and 3ish months ago. It's not based on any list I went by but when I knew I had the sound I wanted in my head. It just took time to tinker around and find what worked for me.

My board is...

Budda Wah > TU-2 > Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe > RC Booster > Timmy and I have a DD-3 in the loop. That's all connected to my Matchless.

11. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

my board was complete when I realized that I only need some pedals all the time. The others go on a secondary board for recording. And others still don't go on any board. I just grab 'em when needed.

12. Greiginoz

Greiginoz Member

Whe is your board complete? NEVER!!!!!!! GAS will get you!!!!

13. eric-d

eric-d Member

Hopefully the day my Landgraff Wah and Echoczar get here. We'll see though.... :D

14. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

Believe it or not, I think I've finally gotten to point where I feel happy with my pedalboard. Is it overkill and way too big? Yes, but what the hell. It sounds great, not noisy at all, and gives me every flavor I need whenever I may need it. That being said, I tend to gravitiate towards certaiin pedals and pedal combos but it's nice having the extra stuff there for that rare moment I may want to use that sound.

15. ckeathley14

ckeathley14 Member

My board will be complete soon...I thought the OCD was the greatest thing ever untill I got my Keeley TS9...I recently acquired a Keeley AD9 and got rid of the DD3 so im looking forward to that...I need to find a better comp. than the Boss CS3...after that it will be complete

Boss CS3->Keeley TS9->Keeley AD9->Keeley Katana->Boss TU2

(not trying to have a Keeley board, just got good deals on used pedals that happened to be Keeley!)

16. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

If you hear about that great new OD pedal and you want to try it.. then your complete board becomes incomplete.

Mines getting close. I have some toneczar pedals, klon, and TB looper I want to add.

[​IMG]

17. shngn7

shngn7 Member

Mine is "complete" when I have a wah, vibe, fuzz, treble boost, tremolo, delay, and am satisfied with each for the time being. Can't really justify having any more effects than that since I am usually only using one at a time (delay tends to stay on all the time, however). Clean boost is a nice plus, that I don't need, if it is included in one of the other pedals like my Keeley TR-2.

18. Lt_Core

Lt_Core Member

My was complete for 5 months or so then I started selling/trading/buying again. I play in a gigging band so normally I don't change things up too much. Each pedal has a purpose/song. New stuff this week:

MI Audio G.I. Fuzz
    Dano Tranparent Overdrive
    Eventide Modfactor w/ expression pedal & tap-tempo switch

19. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

as soon as I get my Timmy! The last few years I've been gathering pedals to cover all my needs and Im pretty much done after I get a delay to replace my multi-function (read: pos) one so I'll have:

boost (sexdrive)
    fuzz (mkII)
    OD (Timmy)
    Delay (Carbon Copy, anyone got one for $100?)

Im toying with the idea of getting some sort of tubescreamer even though I don't like tubescreamers but I keep hearing about how good they sound with twins(I borrowed my friends ts808 reissue and it did sound good but too SRV for me haha)...Im thinking the g2d creamtone...Id also get a wah one of these days just for home-noodle-white-room wankage)

This covers all my bases from country, surf, blues, to yardbirds type rock. :dude BTW it's great having onboard reverb and tremelo, 2 pedals I'll never need to buy)

20. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for Silver Supporting Member

Changing other gear (guitars, amps) can make your board "incomplete" again, too. For a while, I was very happy with my Rumble Mod and Rat for OD/distortion needs. But my new amp doesn't like the Rumble Mod as much as the old one did, so I may be on a quest again. With the Dual Showman, the Rumble Mod thoroughly trounced a Skreddy Screwdriver. But with the Boogie Mark I, I suspect the Screwdriver would win easily.

edit: BOTH amps love the Rat. Or are afraid of it.