• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

When Josh does a video on your underappreciated pedal.....

Zer0beaT

I absolutely love the EHX Tube Zipper. I can't even find a video out there that does it justice.

This thing is so fun and I'm not sure any other pedal out there can do what it does.,

But.......It's suddenly shot up in value.....and I'm seriously thinking about letting it go and trying to find another way to get the things this pedal does that I love through a couple other pedals I have in mind.

I guess my question is.....you have a pedal you love, and see that it's going for crazy money, do you sell it? Do you think you'd regret selling it? This can be any pedal btw. I was just giving an example here.

Sam Xavier

I sold several of my pedals out of necessity but didn't want to. Others, I later regretted, although at the time I thought it was the right thing to do. The only one I never wanted to see again was the MXR Distortion +, a singularly horrible little box of shite.

Nowadays, I intend to keep every last pedal until I croak.

Zer0beaT

Then one must ask, did you really love it?
I do love it. Would I pay $500 for it? Hell no. Are there other pedals out there that I want and could pay for by selling it, well yes. I've always wanted a Subdecay Prometheus for example.

That type of thought. Also these EHX tube pedals take up massive space and require their proprietary wallwarts.

It's a bit of a dilemma. But also maybe a chance to move on to some different stuff.

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
I seem to remember Peter Stroud did an EHx demo video that sampled the tube zipper years ago. It didn’t shoot up in value then.

blackba

Gold Supporting Member
For me it’s very simple. When the market price of a pedal exceeds my internal value for it, than I sell it. This is assuming that I can get what the pedal does elsewhere and don’t need it.
Its when this question is the other way around that it gets trickier. For example I don’t use my bogner red a ton, but it’s worth more to me than it is on the used market, so I keep it.

Zer0beaT

I seem to remember Peter Stroud did an EHx demo video that sampled the tube zipper years ago. It didn’t shoot up in value then.
There's lots of videos of it. None of them actually get to the really crazy and awesome stuff this pedal does and it's disappointing. I'd make a video but don't know how and can't be bothered.

Zer0beaT

Because videos released by Josh have a much bigger impact on the market than videos released by others for whatever reason. If Josh hypes something his followers go nutty over it.
Josh didn't even demonstrate what I would have wanted him to, and now there are zero Tube Zippers on Reverb and there's 2 on ebay right now one is $430 american. I paid $80 canadian for mine many years ago because no one wanted this thing.

No_Stairway

Silver Supporting Member
I absolutely love the EHX Tube Zipper. I can't even find a video out there that does it justice.

This thing is so fun and I'm not sure any other pedal out there can do what it does.,

But.......It's suddenly shot up in value.....and I'm seriously thinking about letting it go and trying to find another way to get the things this pedal does that I love through a couple other pedals I have in mind.

I guess my question is.....you have a pedal you love, and see that it's going for crazy money, do you sell it? Do you think you'd regret selling it? This can be any pedal btw. I was just giving an example here.
I got my Timmy V2 for $109, I got a V3. After aboutba year with the V3 I decided it was close enough and sold the V2 for near double what I paid.

I don't know about regret but I wonder sometimes how much different is the V3. The V2 is absolutely amazing but so is the V3.

Tabor

Silver Supporting Member
Josh didn't even demonstrate what I would have wanted him to, and now there are zero Tube Zippers on Reverb and there's 2 on ebay right now one is $430 american. I paid $80 canadian for mine many years ago because no one wanted this thing.
yeah it’s a weird phenomenon. I don’t understand how he’s managed to get that much influence over the market to where people will pay absurd prices for whatever pedal he features in a video.

Zer0beaT

If something I own appreciates in value I sell it immediately without hesitation. Nothing is better than sweet, sweet cash.

/s
Some people (like me) live paycheque to paycheque for the most part. I don't collect pedals.

If I want a new pedal, or want to experiment going in a different direction, I have to really think about it because I will have to let go of something to bring in something else.

Hence, a pedal I own could get me a big chunk of change all of a sudden. A pedal I love, sure, but it's more of a "fun" pedal and not a necessity.

Anyway, I'm just throwing the question out there about selling a pedal when it's "hot and hyped"

Ok. If my 1979 Fender Deluxe Reverb that I got for $400 was suddenly worth say.....$3000, would I sell it?

Nope.

But a pedal? Thinking about it.....

I R P

Some people (like me) live paycheque to paycheque for the most part. I don't collect pedals.

If I want a new pedal, or want to experiment going in a different direction, I have to really think about it because I will have to let go of something to bring in something else.

Hence, a pedal I own could get me a big chunk of change all of a sudden. A pedal I love, sure, but it's more of a "fun" pedal and not a necessity.

Anyway, I'm just throwing the question out there about selling a pedal when it's "hot and hyped"

Ok. If my 1979 Fender Deluxe Reverb that I got for $400 was suddenly worth say.....$3000, would I sell it?

Nope.

But a pedal? Thinking about it.....
I understand. It's a difficult situation to be in when every dollar matters. In that case, you sell everything else first before you sell the pedal that has appreciated in value. You can get the other stuff back when times are better, but you might not be able to buy that now-expensive pedal in the future.

scr@tchy

If it can't be replaced and I use it for something no. I sold my original Whammy pedal knowing I could get an upgraded version new from the manufacturers

motokev

....you have a pedal you love, and see that it's going for crazy money, do you sell it?

I used to buy and sell all the time just to try stuff.
But, it became a big hassle.
So, if I don't need the $$$$ I'll just keep it.
I'll let my kids deal with it when I'm DEAD :FM

Trending Topics