1. The target date for the upgrade is August 11, 2020. We expect a few hours of downtime during that process. We will post on Twitter and Facebook to keep everyone updated on the progress.
    Dismiss Notice

When men were men and real musicians walked this land

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rickfish99, Jul 3, 2020.

1. rickfish99

rickfish99 Member

So all you effects experts out there, what is Fogerty's signal chain? We already know he's got those big ol' Kustom Tuck and Roll Solid State monstrosities that fly in the face of everything we take as gospel here at TGP. How did he conjure up that feedback on demand and in most cases have it sound almost identical to the studio track?

I find it fascinating to realize that they were probably the best act at Woodstock and only the half million or so that were in attendance ever knew it. Love the part where he berates the stage crew to "get it (monitor?) going." Classic.

2. PhuzzphayzZ

PhuzzphayzZ Member

Needed a shot of CCR right about now!

Can anybody remember laughter?

drifterphase likes this.
  3. TubeStack

TubeStack Supporting Member

4. TedJames

TedJames Member

While I love Fogerty, and have seen him live a few times, I’m not sure he is the best source for laughter. I’ve never heard a story about him or read an interview with him that did not involve him either berating someone or holding a grudge.

Granted it sounds like he may be justified in some of his bitterness - but it also sounds like he has such a recurring pattern in his life of being “let down” or “screwed over” by others that it’s hard not to wonder how he could have such ongoing bad luck. One of those “everyone is crazy but me!” type patterns.

5. Feverdog

Feverdog Member

My pedals always sound better with a good drummer too.

6. tonedover

tonedover Silver Supporting Member

his guitar tone sucks IMO.
    his VOICE though... amazing rock vocals!
    also not “sold” on the title of this thread, but i digress...

TimH, mlkIII, FokenBusker and 10 others like this.
  7. xpldngboy

xpldngboy Member

*reads title*

Ok boomer.

hoohoodilly, Ti-Ron, Gallery and 59 others like this.
  8. Guppie

Guppie Member

Current band.

Probably not you style but might expand your view about the current state of affairs.

Ti-Ron, 74vibrolux, songtalk and 14 others like this.
  9. Guppie

Guppie Member

Also early 70's

WornFrets, spiral, Fatherflot and 2 others like this.
  10. ToneDeVille

ToneDeVille Supporting Member

a classic, solid, great performance from the days when they set up in the studio and recorded the tunes live to tape. Back in those days there were no tremelo/vibrato pedals, no overdrive pedals to speak of, just the classic old Fuzz box. So the sounds came from the amps and the guitars. But it was also pretty common to tweak the amps and speakers to get a drive tone. Plus, John is playing a hollow body guitar so getting the feedback from the amp is pretty easy. Just crank it up and stand within 10 feet of it. :)

Personally, I think Fogerty's tone is awesome and works fantastically with the 335 ish tone playing the rhythm part.
    Whether he's an ass or not doesn't figure into the genius of his music...kinda like Henley. I don't have to hang out with him or put up with his personality to enjoy his music.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    StockRock, ifallalot, AZJim and 15 others like this.
  11. A.Maiah

A.Maiah Member

These kids are a mix of Pere Ubu and June of 44 IMHO. Also tone-wise.

matw likes this.
  12. Hawkmoon269

Hawkmoon269 Supporting Member

Fogerty is a great singer but that guitar sounds kind of harsh. Dude needed an OD-3 or something. I can only imagine the hearing loss sustained by gigging behind that rig.

rickfish99 likes this.
  13. Robot B9

Robot B9 Member

14. Vic Interceptor

Vic Interceptor Member

correct me if I'm wrong but.... live = Kustom, records = silverface Deluxe Reverb most of the time? And his hands of course are a big part of that sound.

Fogerty is IMHO the single greatest rock and roller of all time. Nobody can touch him for total accomplishment. Nobody. Not Brian Wilson, Not the Beatles, Not Seger or Springsteen. Not Chuck Berry. Nobody else ever wrote/produced/sang/arranged/played lead/lead the band etc at the highest of high levels and here's the real proof - right this minute somewhere on the planet someone is playing a CCR song and will till the end of time.

CCR was the headliner of Woodstock. They were the biggest band in the world in 1969, and it was signing them that got everybody else onboard a festival that no one had ever heard of before. Hendrix played last on Sunday but make no mistake - CCR was the top gun of the festival.

And that band/bands listed as to today's state of new music, I'm sorry kids.. that's not comparable to the likes of 1970/CCR. Nobody will ever know the current bands existed 1 decade from now, where as 1 millennium from now CCR will still be relevant and in rotation. It seems no one can write a listenable song anymore, or spends any time being original yet palatable.

15. GusFowler

GusFowler Member

Ugh, gawd I thot uv that song the other day. Something unclean about it.

HaloMaster likes this.
  16. MadFrank

MadFrank Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I like CCR as much as the next guy, but 'When men were men and real musicians walked this land' just makes me want to burn my bra and join a punk band.

17. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

If that's the case, how come they are not in the movie nor the album of Woodstock? Honestly curious.

Also, Hendrix was paid $18,000, Blood, sweat and tears $15,000 and CCR 10,000.

xrcdan, Sam Hill, ESW. and 4 others like this.
  18. Bucksfan70

Bucksfan70 Member

POST OF THE DAY!

19. MadFrank

MadFrank Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

They were just ok. The Who, Janis Joplin, Sly and The Family Stone and yes, Hendrix, all blew them off the stage and off the film. Hell even 10 Years After showed up.

Gotta say it was a missed opportunity.

20. Pazz

Pazz Member

Ok, full disclosure, I was 1 year old at the time of Woodstock. That said, IMO, Mountain has the best set. Left out of the movie, somehow, but Leslie West tire it up.

....and Sha Na Na.

TD_Madden, mchap11, ZENTISH and 3 others like this.