When my TC. Vintage delay is in my effects-loop.....

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Bronze, Jul 1, 2006.

1. Bronze

Bronze Member

Hey guys, I have a problem that i'm really hoping someone can fix. I just got a new TC. electronics Vintage Delay, and it's freaken sweet. But when I activate my effects loop on my mesa boogie dual rectifer it seems to lose a little punch. Is there a way I can fix this. Would a line mixer fix my problem??
    And here's a few pics of my rig!! I have no idea why the pics are this big...sorry

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Bronze

Bronze Member

There's got to be someone who can help me out with this problem...

3. donbarzini

donbarzini Member

Bronze,

I also owned the TC Vintage Delay. I also thought it was a sweet sounding pedal delay, however, it did something to my tone when it was in the FX Loop. It added some compression and my amp just did not have the balls it did when the effect was on. I tried it with a THD Flexi and a JCM800. It sounded great if I was playing clean but as soon as I played with higher gain, it did not sound right.

4. scottl

scottl Member

You shoudl always run low capacitance cables in the loop. They must be as shoprt as possible. Less than a foot each. You will lose highs if the loop is series. I run a T Rex Replica in my loop and by doing what I suggested, the tone is great! Btw, the Replica and the TC are the same unit I think.

5. KLB

KLB Member

According Mesa product info, the Dual Rectifier has a Parallel effects loop. To get the maximum tone and punch from your TD Delay, turn the delay Effect level all the way up making it Wet only. The effects loop will provide the dry tone.

Use the Level control to get the amount of delay you want, set it somewhere around half to start. The send should be kept probably somewhere below half so as not to overload the guitar level input on the delay. Return can be kept way down to maximize the signal to noise ratio. You will have to balance the amp return and the delay level to get the amount of delay repeat volume you want.

The reason your tone is missing in action is probably due to the dry signal from the pedal clashing (time/phase) with the dry signal in the FX loop.

You can use a volume pedal in the loop to control the amount of delay, either before or after the pedal depending on how you want to use it.

6. Bronze

Bronze Member

Hey guys thanx alot!!! one more question, what about the output on the tc. electronics delay...I have it about half way up...do you think this is about right???

7. dual lead

dual lead Member

Did you get the lack of punch and volume issue worked out? I have the same problem with my G-major in the Dual Rec effects loop.I have the g-major's kill dry function on and no matter how I set the Recto's mix/send and output knob on the front, the volume and punch is always way louder when I turn the fx loop off with the Mesa footpedal. Anyone know how to do the series loop mod?

8. muddy

muddy Member

from voodooamps.com :

FX-Loop Mod™: $150.00 (without Standard & Deluxe Mod)
    • Converts amp from Parallel loop to Series.
    • Greatly improves tone when using effects in the loop.
    yeah scott, i've found the exact opposite to be true, like as in this mod by voodoo amps, where he converts a para to a series loop. i've always found the para loops to be the tone robbers. WHAT your running in there is a diff story; you DO have to be smart about it. i've got an isp decimator, an rt-20, and a flip tube echo in my loop. THAT'S IT!!! ya gotta keep it simple, otherwise you'll be facin' the expensive option; using one (of 2 or 3) amps as a stompbox/preamp, and bringing that down to a line level.

ml