When People Buy You Drinks At a Gig. How do you handle it?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Lucidology, Feb 23, 2019.

1. Scuttlebutt

Scuttlebutt Member

Take it and hand it to someone else

ctreitzell and Toby Krebs like this.
  2. viper

viper Member

As a former cover band singer (and non-guitarist) I was the only one that had free hands during sets and generally the only one drinking at that particular time. Shots were rare but I'd generally have at least one beer per set, so if someone brought one up I'd happily take it and thank them.

One thing I'm curious about based on a particular incident... one night on the way home from a gig I'd notice one of my bandmates had hit a telephone pole and knocked his car out of commission. I'd hopped out to check on him and as we were trying to figure out how to get him AND some of the band equipment home (my car was full of people), a cop showed up and gave BOTH of us a breathalyzer. Now as I mentioned, I'll generally have one beer per set (usually three per night) and one before the gig so it's generally no more than four but my bandmates would often have more. Unfortunately, my bandmate was above the legal limit and I blew a 0.00... A ZERO! How I have no idea, but as a singer belting it from the gut singing somewhere around 40 songs a night my only thought was that I essentially blew it all out or he got a defective reading.

Hawking, beanbass and Lucidology like this.
  3. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

I politely decline shots, but I’ll accept an offer of a beer, and if I don’t end up drinking the whole thing, they will never know.

Lucidology likes this.
  4. 27sauce

27sauce Member

On stage? I just accept it and put it on the drum riser. I’ll offer it to someone in the green room on break.

At the bar? The bar tender knows what I drink, jager(coke), gin an tonic(tonic).

Lucidology likes this.
  5. musicman1

musicman1 Member

I like a good pint of IPA on the gig but not every time either. I usually decline drinks and tell them that I'm sticking to water that night. I usually have the large sports bottles of Poland Spring on a gig and I do tend to carry one around on break to get re hydrated. Occasionally we've had someone wanting to buy the band a round send the waitress up to the band to take an order. I can go either way w/ that. I guarantee my bass player will have one and my drummer wont lol. Good part of that is being able to thank the person(s) over the pa which always makes them feel good. We ve also had someone buy a round for the band and the waitress bring pints up to us while we re on stage mid song. That always leads to one or two of them getting knocked over which sucks for both the beer and the gear...

My main concern to is NEVER insult the person that wants to buy me or the band a drink. Its a good will gesture on their part and can be expensive seeing what bars charge for alcohol these days.

6. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Silver Supporting Member

Thank them. Take a sip. Put it on the amp.

VooDooClown and Lucidology like this.
  7. 6tringer

6tringer Member

The main 'gig' I've had lately is busking on the patio at a local brewery. The owner graciously provides a glass or two, one while playing and one with lunch afterword. It's appreciated and we don't abuse the hospitality.

Over the years, pub gigs often included a couple of drinks as part of the deal. Thirty years ago, a country band I was in would get free rounds from patrons and sometimes even get a round from the bar owners at the end of the evening, if it was a good (profitable) night and that was also appreciated.

However, one fateful gig, while taking a break between the matinee and evening show, the barmaid came up with a few pitchers and exclaimed "I just got canned so I'm going to get the band loaded" In our youthful stupidity, we went along with it somewhat. Not my proudest musical moment but one that was never repeated.

Lucidology likes this.
  8. bobcs71

bobcs71 Member

I handle the beer by my left hand while drinking it and set it on my drink holder when playing. Most of you would refer to my drink holder as an “amplifier”.

Note: I would often go with Bud Light and not too many to avoid a buzz.

viper and Lucidology like this.
  9. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

Well the obvious answer is you kind of cup your hand around the glass
    extending your pinky finger slightly and gently tip it towards your mouth
    - otherwise if don't tip the glass you look like you have drinking problem.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
    sjwieczorkow, Hawking and Lucidology like this.
  10. JB Winterblues

JB Winterblues Supporting Member

With my strumming hand, whilst keeping the trilling going with my nimble left.

jiml, White Limo and Lucidology like this.
  11. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

If serious - there was nothing to it. We had an arrangement with the bartenders where
    we worked. They would make virgin drinks for us. Beer was Seven Up and Tea - looked
    like the real thing. Sometimes we would just drink the shots - we were young and could
    craft our buzzes.

12. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

Give a “Thanks, I appreciate it!” head nod/hand motion/grin. Take a sip then set it down.

sjwieczorkow and Lucidology like this.
  13. telest

telest Member

Reminds me of a time long ago at a little place I played a band. Someone kept sending these horrendous shots to the stage for us. I don't remember what they were but after the first one, I stealthily passed mine on to others.

Lucidology likes this.
  14. ToneDeVille

ToneDeVille Member

We have regular fans who like to send a tray of tequila shots to the band. They know we only drink Patron, dressed & chilled. So if they want to spend the $ I'm happy to enjoy a shot of cold Patron with a lime chaser. Then we play their favorite song, which is always, "Running Down a Dream". And everyone in the place is happy.

The rest of the world should find such a simple way of being happy.

Snail, sjwieczorkow, Hawking and 3 others like this.
  15. jnovac1

jnovac1 Supporting Member

please don’t put it on my amp.

Telefunky likes this.
  16. sonic carpenter

sonic carpenter Member

Not drinking alcohol makes it a non issue for me

VaughnC, strike3 and Lucidology like this.
  17. Kennybeeinfl

Kennybeeinfl Member

I thank them and ask for a Coke. Don't drink alcohol at gigs.

pitbull45 and Lucidology like this.
  18. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

I ask for a Diet Coke.

Lucidology likes this.
  19. mikebat

mikebat Member

I drink it. I don’t play hammered and don’t drive home drunk. I judge where my sobriety is at the time.

No absolutes. Just judgement.

DrSax, ChampReverb, Hawking and 3 others like this.
  20. Ps28

Ps28 Member

I drink them. Don't be ungrateful.

Hawking, strike3 and ethereal cereal like this.