• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

When people tell me that unique musical geniuses don’t exist...

...I tell them to listen to Are You Experienced.

If they aren’t convinced, I then tell them to listen to Axis: Bold As Love.

If they still aren’t convinced, I tell them to listen to Electric Ladyland.

And if they’re still not convinced, I shake my head and write them off as a sad lost soul, not even knowing what they’re missing.

aiq

Silver Supporting Member
“Jimi Hendrix, baby believe me, set the world on fire”

Down in Monterrey.

...I tell them to listen to Are You Experienced.

If they aren’t convinced, I then tell them to listen to Axis: Bold As Love.

If they still aren’t convinced, I tell them to listen to Electric Ladyland.

And if they’re still not convinced, I shake my head and write them off as a sad lost soul, not even knowing what they’re missing.
Sorry but have to respectfully disagree. I like Hendrix but he's not remotely a genius or on the same musical plane as John Coltrane or George Crumb and many others. If you're just talking about what you like, that's a different story.

Fulldrive-1

Sorry but have to respectfully disagree. I like Hendrix but he's not remotely a genius or on the same musical plane as John Coltrane or George Crumb and many others. If you're just talking about what you like, that's a different story.

Listen, really listen, to Electric Ladyland. Jimi was a genius, if there was ever such a one that played electric guitar.

Lucidology

Silver Supporting Member
Can you explain your reasoning?

Can you explain your reasoning?
Admittedly, it's hard to explain in great detail with proper analysis in a forum format. In short, if you look at what was going on globally in music post 1945, Hendrix was not nearly as adventurous melodically, harmonically or rhythmically as Trane or Crumb (and many others) in his compositional writing or his improvising.

Trending Topics