When posting a clip/demo of a pedal....

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Craig Walker, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Craig Walker

Craig Walker WHO DAT!! Gold Supporting Member

please play briefly with the pedal OFF so one can tell what the pedal is doing to the original tone. [unless obvious, like a delay]

That is all, thank you. :AOK

2. Giannis

Giannis Senior Member

geeez I wonder who that was directed to ....? :tapedshut

I agree. :dude

3. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

Also: wear pants and shoes. Thank you.

4. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

This advice is also good for when you are taking pics of gear with chrome parts... :worried

5. fatback

fatback Member

While i can't argue with the logic of this request, I do still get a chuckle out of the "back-seat demo driver" threads.

It's really not that hard to make a vid. If you have a digi still cam than I bet it has a movie mode. The more people that make them, the better idea folks can get on how gear sounds in different hands and situations.

:BEER

6. wacopacco

wacopacco Member

yea make your own vids or watch one of the 100's others out there if you don't like something. put up or shut up.

7. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

Right ON!! Since when do we as Musicians give a damn about what our audience suggests or thinks.?? What do they know anyway? They can't make clips or videos..I dare them make suggestions..:mad:

:hide

8. wacopacco

wacopacco Member

i hate looking at feet/socks just as much as everyone else. And i hate it when people don't demo the clean tone first. Basically i agree with everything the OP said..... but you don't see me complaining about it. It's like complaining about street musicians because they don't use the right type of capo.... if you don't like it, then don't watch them.

9. Craig Walker

It actually wasn't meant mean-spirited.....just something I don't think many people who do demos think about. You know what your sound is sans pedal, but we don't....

And it was not aimed at anyone in particular, I promise.

10. Craig Walker

Your demos are great. I've bought pedals because of them....

And I have made audio demos.

11. enocaster

enocaster Member

Wow. I never understand why when someone makes a polite, sensible post and the pessimists of the world need to be angry about it. No one is complaining except you, the OP said please and thank you while making a very practical suggestion.

12. eric-d

eric-d Member

Man oh man - sorry my feet and socks disturb people...... I'm at my house and I play comfortably here..... I know the feet thing and the "pedal rug" have been a tongue in cheek thing since my first video.... but ya know - what the hell.... I try to "demo" these products the best I can whether I'm in my duds or barefoot and in a wife-beater...... Sorry I'm not as technically advanced as some other guys - but I usually just try to play to the best of my ability and to the best of what I believe the product can do - no matter what I'm wearing/ not wearing. I'm not even thinking about it.

13. funkycam

funkycam Member

While I appreciate all the effort folks put into making vids, I also think playing a little without the effect on is incredibly helpful.
    Also I am amazed that so many vids are posted with so much microphone artifact on them.
    That said a good demo video is a thing of joy & a wonderful help to so many :)

14. wacopacco

wacopacco Member

what ones takes as polite another could take as impolite.... do you seriously not understand that?

15. fatback

fatback Member

no worries. I was just feeling a need to vent. :BEER

I'll keep a lookout for your demos.

:YinYang

16. Craig Walker

17. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

I personally dont care about what people want from any video I make. I make them how I like to make them and if you dont like it, go buy the pedal and make your own vid.

18. wacopacco

wacopacco Member

some people seemed offended at my opinion so let me clarify my "put up or shut up" statement and general attitude:

i think criticizing pedal demo's is perfectly OK. (just don't get offended when someone criticizes back)

i think the people who make demos are doing a great service to us.

i think to sit there and say "hey you sir, who is making a pedal video at your own expense for my benefit, do this instead of this" is completely silly and i think that level of thinking of juvenile.

i think that given the variety of services available to us on the internet, there is no need to pick apart what you see, just simply go find something else (aka, another video).

i don't disagree with the OP.

i think everyone should make pedal demos.

thatisall

19. DerekEstrada

DerekEstrada Member

gearmanndude pedal demos are my favorite...always plays clean sound first, then the pedal... waiting for him to do a cool wah demo....