When Science and Amp Building Come Together...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by skhan007, Dec 17, 2009.

1. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

I've always been curious about how amp builders view other amp builders. Some produce great stuff. Some produce great stuff based on stuff I can't really understand- Does using the most electroconducive elements on the periodic table coupled with directional flow really make an audible difference to most players? I'm really curious.

From George Alessandro:

"High-End materials are utilized starting from the beginning of the signal path, throughout, till the very output to the speakers. The input jack is a mill spec, silver plated ¼" shorting jack. The input is directly connected to the grid of the first gain stage, no input resistors or voltage dividers to distress the guitar signal. The Cathode resistor, as all the resistors throughout the amp, is an Audiophile grade Carbon Comp. type with gold plated copper lead out. The Cathode by-pass capacitor is Black Gate capacitor and is the finest that exists for use in an audio signal path. The first gain stage feeds a traditional Treble, Middle and Bass tone stack. The tone controls are proprietary Alessandro 2 watt, mill spec, custom audio taper pots with gold plated copper leads. The tone stack feeds into the Volume control, also an Alessandro pot, bypassed with another Alessandro proprietary part, a 1950’s style Silver Mica capacitor. The Volume control outputs into the second gain stage, set up similarly to the first stage. The second gain stage is coupled to the traditional Long Tailed Pair phase inverter. The coupling capacitors in the preamp of the Alessandro amp are also proprietary, custom-made Foil In Oil type. I have found the Foil In Oils to have a classic sound but have dynamics and detail unlike inexpensive "poly" caps. "