When shopping for Gibson SG

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Kmaz, Jun 25, 2019.

1. BeardoCI

BeardoCI Member

I'd be looking for another SGJ, if I needed another SG - I like the neck profile (chunky), and the fact that it has a maple neck is more of a positive than a negative to me. I mean, if it's good enough for Angus Young's sig model... These are seriously cheap too, largely because the finish on them is awful - but it still plays, sounds, and feels like a proper SG to me. I've had 61 reissues and Standards, but the SGJ is the first to stick around.

2. skydog

skydog Supporting Member

3. Riffzilla

Riffzilla Member

I have a 2008 Standard. Has a nice chunky neck and is well balanced on a strap - no neck dive at all. It has the batwing pickguard though which I don't always love, prefer the smaller '61 style generally. Great guitar though.

TubeStack likes this.
  4. philiprst

philiprst Supporting Member

I tried a whole bunch of SGs before finally settling on a used 62 reissue. Almost every one was a fine guitar and one of the few models in the Gibson range where I did not think a CS model was worth the extra over a standard. The necks and pickups vary with time so I just chose the one with the neck and sound I particularly liked.

5. thebeebs

thebeebs Member

how can you tell which one has the good neck joint? sorry if dumb question

rauchman likes this.
  6. spookyelectric

spookyelectric Supporting Member

I just picked up a 2017 Standard (black) with the Classic 57's-- never had a proper SG before. Really well made and sounds good. Not sure if I'll end up keeping it since I'm a tele guy, but it's a nice alternative!

7. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Supporting Member

It's pretty simple, if you want a fatter neck, get the batwing pickguard Standard, which also has an improved neck joint. If you want a slim neck, you have to get one of the small pickguard '61 models, either production or CS, those are the ones with some sort of slim taper neck profile (they vary a bit). I like the fatter rounded '59 profile, so I have a limited edition '92 SG Standard in Metallic Blue, with ABR bridge and nickel hardware. Pickups on mine are 490/498, but they also vary through the years on either type of SG. Go for the neck profile you want, and the pickups you prefer when shopping for an SG.
    Al

8. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

I've not heard this about the SG pickguards.

9. Dale

Dale Member

There really are no bad years for an SG. I have a 14, 17 and 18. There are differences in the horn carve, neck carve, nut width, neck joints and pickup placement.

So it is really a personal preference thing. My 14 is essentially a 61 reissue spec. The 17 has the "sturdier" neck joint. The horn carves are a bit different. All have the slim taper neck which I like.

10. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

I have one of those, really solid instrument. Best $350 I ever spent.

BeardoCI likes this.
  11. Daka3

Daka3 Member

+1. Alltho I'd love to own a '61 reissue, I freaking LOVE my 60's Junior. It-just-sounds ... YUGE.

shane8 likes this.
  12. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

I've been very happy with my 2010 Standard! Very stable tuning, no neck dive and a lovely neck. I'm torn on swapping out all the hardware for gold and replacing the pickups with BKP's but it's so balanced in all ways as it sits.

[​IMG]Untitled by Andy Prepelka, on Flickr

rauchman likes this.
  13. ThePitbullofLove

ThePitbullofLove Member

14. Mr. McFly

Mr. McFly Member

I have a Polara. I paid $300 for a mint/unplayed one with the original gig bag and a really expensive one. It is a pretty cool axe. The distance between the bridge & tail make the 24 3/4" scale a feel a Tad 'stiffer'.

15. powermatt99

powermatt99 Member

2013 standard. Bought one from GC. Sold it whilst taking some time away from a heavy gigging load between church and other ventures. I've tried to find another one like it, including a few trips to Chicago Music Exchange and other Chicagoland shops. I can't find one that feels like that one. It may even have been a GC exclusive in Honey Burst. I've given up and got myself a LP Special instead.

16. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Supporting Member

I want one of those white Standards, it seems they were limited editions, but I've wanted one since the first time I saw them. I have a '92 large guard SG Std. in a limited Blue Metallic finish (pretty much the same as Fender Lake Placid Blue), the other limited color that year was TV Yellow, never seen one of those. My Std. has an ABR bridge and nickel hardware, 490/498 humbuckers. Have an SG Classic in Cherry, so I want a black SG and a that white one, maybe a TV if it can be found, to complete the SG collection. Nice SG!.
    Al

17. Kenny Blue

Kenny Blue Silver Supporting Member

My first nice electric guitar was a 1970 SG Standard... which I bought in 1971. Unfortunately those were the days when cash was very tight and to acquire a "new" guitar, which one was lusting after, one had to trade in THE one guitar that one presently owned. So... in pursuit of my first Les Paul, the '70 SG was sacrificed.

Over the years I have had a number of SG Standard '61 or '62 Reissue models, but the ultra slim taper necks were always just too slim for my taste. All of those ended up not staying with me long.

In the last year I read about, and then found an SG that I bought and that I have come to absolutely love. It is a specific Reissue from 2007. The 2007 Gibson '67 SG Special, (Guitar Of The Week #37).
    [​IMG]

I love the neck in particular. Where as the '61 RIs were all too slim, this neck is lovely. I have an R8 with a very chunky neck and this neck is not at all that chunky. But it is more chunky than all of the '61 RI SG Standards that I have ever owned or played.

The P90s sound great. I have always preferred the small pickguard look over the "batwing" pickguards... so this I also really like about this particular guitar. It came with a Nashville bridge, which I chose to change. I converted it to an ABR-1 bridge and I like the tone much better.

This guitar also has the neck joint which extends up the neck farther than the '61 RI SGs, which I am happy with. I think that it makes the neck more stable and I have no problem with neck dive with this guitar at all.

All in all I love this guitar !

rauchman likes this.
  18. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

I've owned a couple of Fadeds, an 04 and an 09. The 09 was a great guitar, except the frets were somewhat ragged. I'm probably in the minority around here in that I really like the stock 490s as a set. I play a lot of different kinds of music and they were pretty middle-of-the-road, which is ideal for me. I can work the amp for the specific style.

The 04, on the other hand, was an impulse purchase. It had pretty high action in the store but I've done my own setups for decades, so I pulled the trigger. It turned out the neck was set too flat and I couldn't get the 12th-fret action down to my taste. It had the ragged frets as well, was a good-sounding but not stellar instrument. The build issues meant I moved it within a year to a guy who knew the issues, but being a cowboy-chorder didn't mind because it played well in the first 7 frets. Took a hit on it.

Moral of the story? If you're looking at a Faded, play it before buying, and give it more than a cursory impulse-buy. I'd still buy another one, because I loved the 09.

Good lord, that's beautiful, it's got the best of everything in one SG.

I'd ride that like it was a rented mule.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  19. Milkman

Milkman Supporting Member

I'd say if you can find that one magic SG that doesn't neck dive, that one that every SG owner seems to own but I have never found, buy it.

I have loved the look and sound of SGs since I was a fan of Zappa and Alice Cooper Band back in the 70s.

I WANT to like them, but every time I pick one up and that peghead heads for the floor....

And no, a sticky strap is NOT a solution. Maybe a custom SG with a bit more mass in the body or a bag of BBs in the control cavity....

Moby Dick likes this.
  20. Rick340

Rick340 Member

I recently bought a 2018 Standard new at a good price, other than needing a set up its wonderful, better QC than recent Mexican Fenders I've bought.

Playing it in the shop I preferred it to a 2019 Standard.
    As ever try before you buy