When taking two guitars to a gig, do you go for contrast or duplication?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by fjrabon, Jul 4, 2019.

1. data_null

data_null Member

Depends on the gig, but at the minimum I like to always have 2-3 available. I don’t care that much about contrast or duplication; just need to have them available as backups.

2. mcknigs

mcknigs Supporting Member

Depends.

In one band I play guitar and baritone guitar. Both are "guitars" but arguably they're different instruments.

In one band I mostly play acoustic but will sometimes play electric through a modeler on some songs.

Sometimes I bring a "real" guitar and a comic relief guitar. That is, a normal gigging guitar plus something that's a kooky conversation piece but playable. An example would be the Tele I made out of a particle board countertop.

I hardly ever break strings so I don't feel the need for a similar backup electric.

DCross likes this.
  3. cosmic_ape

cosmic_ape Supporting Member

It really depends on the gig. Cover band? Variety. My own band? Duplicate backup.

4. phoghat

phoghat Member

Always contrast. I make sure every guitar I own gets gigged. I typically use whichever I happen to be in love with at the moment and something totally different. Gigged a Gretsch Duo Jet with a Peavey Wolfgang backup recently. Fun show. Each got played.

If I notice one of my guitars hasn't been out of the house in a while, I make a point of using it at the next show.

mcknigs likes this.
  5. LarryWallwart

LarryWallwart Member

Contrast. If I break a string, I can get by with the contrasting guitar.

6. Whats4dessert

Whats4dessert Member

Mainly duplication--In my oldies/top 40 band I play the guitar in my avatar AND a near-identical instrument with a gasoline can body. Same pickup & controls configuration, both have a Roland synth driver. The gas can is made from a neck-thru Ibanez with a pointy headstock and fretboard inlays. This just sort of became my "trademark" years ago.....and every so often somebody comes up to me at a gig and commissions me to make them one. A gimmick? Maybe, but so what. True story: Band's based in Phoenix; couple of months ago we were setting up for a gig in Yuma. Person unknown to the drummer comes up to him before the show & says, "Hey, are you the band with the guy who plays guitars made out of oil cans?"

DCross and monty like this.
  7. Laurence

Laurence Silver Supporting Member

8. kookaburra

kookaburra Member

Duplication, although the spare may be open tuned if we have any open tuning songs.

monty likes this.
  9. guitarmook

guitarmook Member

Contrast. Country gig, so it's generally a telecaster, and lately a Gretsch so on a few songs I can turn up the tremolo and bounce on the bigsby.

Last gig, singer had an issue with his acoustic, so he played my tele and I played the Gretsch for 3 sets. No worries.

10. Aslan

Aslan Silver Supporting Member

For the last several years I have taken a back-up guitar that was the same brand, model and type as my #1 but lately I'm thinking of getting something that's very different. My main guitar (#1) is a PRS Hollowbody II with piezo and I'm thinking of now taking a Eric Clapton Strat as my backup for a completely different sound.

11. Pablo

Pablo Member

When I gigged, I went for duplicate-ish... Two identical Strats - my main guitar was HSS, whereas my backup was SSS.

This combination worked great for me, affording me variety, whilst maintaining the safety and peace of mind of identical playing feel and comfort, if I were to brake a string.

12. TwoHandsTenThumbs

TwoHandsTenThumbs Silver Supporting Member

I only bring two instruments if absolutely necessary, like doubling on a gig. An acoustic and an electric. Or electric and keys. Or mandolin and banjo. 95% of the time, one guitar, one amp.

13. buddyboy69

buddyboy69 Member

tele and a strat as backup. Strat has a tele pickup in the bridge so its more for duplication. both have similar output.

14. haslar

haslar Member

Usually, it’s a couple of Fender SC type guitars. So I don’t have to worry about adjusting gain.

15. Toffo

Toffo Member

Probably contrast. But mainly, I just take the 2 guitars I am most enjoying playing at that time.

16. MikeMcK

MikeMcK Supporting Member

For my cover gigs I bring three… #1 is a Les Paul R7. Backup is a weird partscaster (Gibson scale, maple on mahogany) and the third is a chunky-neck partscaster that stays in open E. The first two sound a lot alike, more of a testament to the R7 than to the partscaster.

17. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

Duplication. I bring 2 Les Pauls.

18. markjsmith

markjsmith Member

It really depends on the gig! Some bands I've played with I need pretty much one clean and one slightly boosted sound for solos! Others I have to recreate the sound of a bunch of different bands/songs etc....so more guitars!

19. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

Back up. I bring 2 Teles.

20. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

I used to go for overkill in my last band, bringing four guitars, Explorer, a strat, les Paul special p90s and the 1275 in my avatar. A lot of work but fun.
    Previous I would bring a 12 string and a 6 string Ric.