When Ted Nugent started playing through Eddie's gear, a funny thing happened …

Right about the time VH started blowing up around 1981-ish my friends were into all that new wave synth stuff like Depeche Mode, New Order, the Cure, Joy Division, etc...

Before much of anyone knew they were, an obscure rock band named Van Halen opened for Ted Nugent.

During Van Halen's sound check Ted couldn't believe his ears …

He was staring in amazement at this unknown kid named Eddie.

The sounds coming out of this kid’s guitar!!

Nugent was out of his mind. How was he doing it??

Guitarists everywhere are obsessed with creating just the right tone, and so Ted just HAD to know how the kid was pulling this off.

He was convinced that Eddie was using some sort of secret gear.

After a little arm twisting, Ted finally talked Eddie's guitar tech into letting him give Eddie's rig a test drive.

When Ted started playing through Eddie's gear, a funny thing happened …

Ted Nugent still sounded exactly like Ted Nugent...

He fiddled with some of the amp settings.

He tried everything he could to replicate the awesomeness he’d just heard.

No dice.

Ted relearned what every successful musician knows: The right gear and technique can make a difference, but ultimately your tone comes from your hands and your style and what's in your heart.

Eddie Van Halen can play any guitar through any amp and still sound like Eddie Van Halen.

toomanyamps

Right about the time VH started blowing up around 1981-ish my friends were into all that new wave synth stuff like Depeche Mode, New Order, the Cure, Joy Division, etc...

Before much of anyone knew they were, an obscure rock band named Van Halen opened for Ted Nugent.

Guitarists everywhere are obsessed with creating just the right tone, and so Ted just HAD to know how the kid was pulling this off.

After a little arm twisting, Ted finally talked Eddie's guitar tech into letting him give Eddie's rig a test drive.

No dice.

Ted relearned what every successful musician knows: The right gear and technique can make a difference, but ultimately your tone comes from your hands and your style and what's in your heart.

Eddie Van Halen can play any guitar through any amp and still sound like Eddie Van Halen.
So what did Ted play through Eddie's amp?
Eruption?......or Cat Scratch Fever?

Lance

Hate to be a negative Nelly, because I essentially believe in the whole fingers hands thing. But, I'm pretty sure I have the issue of GP that this is taken from. He didn't play Ed's guitar, but plugged his Byrdland into it. Surely, that's going to be a huge difference in sound, right?

John 14:6

No dice.

I always loved this story.

iamdavea

Gold Supporting Member
The story I'm familiar with is that Ted--much earlier than 1981, probably 1979--confronted Ed at the VH soundcheck, and demanded to see the secret "black box" that Ed used to get "that tone." Ed showed Nugent his very humble pedalboard, and told him there was no secret. Ed let Nugent play his rig, and, according to Ed, "he sounded just like Ted."

pointyguitars

Silver Supporting Member
I recall reading a blurb in an early 1980's edition of Circus Magazine that showed Eddie being invited on stage at a Pretenders gig - playing a borrowed Tele through a Twin Reverb. What sticks in my mind is the writer mentioning that, somehow, Eddie still made THAT rig sound like Eddie.

Last edited:

Trending Topics