When the best tones were had on gear I no longer have..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by stratton, Feb 14, 2009.

1. stratton

stratton Member

This has happened many times. While listening today to some old projects that were finished or stalled for some reason, I heard a GREAT clean sound I got with a Tele plugged into the clean channel of a HotCat 30, SM57 into a GR NV-1 preamp.

I love this sound, yet the Cat and the preamp are gone. Sold them. I can't count the times this has happened: I hear a track I really like and I've sold the gear!

Maybe it comes down to the fact that there are so many great amps and we can't keep them all. I hope it's not some self-destructive psychological disorder at work.

2. big mike

big mike Administrator Staff Member

That's why I have so much trouble getting rid of amps.

3. tybone

tybone Member

And speakers, and cabs, and guitars and mics and pickups.

4. anoobis

anoobis Member

Gear whore in denial. It's allright. We're pretty much all whores here.The first thing to do is admit to your weakness. Second, learn when to say 'enough'.

Hanging with other whores can be helpful but more often than not, destructive. Take a break from the action on these forums is my suggestion.

5. Ronsonic

Ronsonic Member

Stop selling good gear.

Only sell stuff that sucks.

6. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

I recently found a 26 year old cassette of my band rehearsing. While I was listening to it I kept thinking "What a Great Tone." I was a Washburn A-10 played thru a MusicMan HD130.

I remember when I sold my first Marshall, a JCM800, because it just didn't sound good enough. I replaced it with a JMP 50 watt head.
    Years later I was watching a video of my band playing at a club. I was using the JCM800 that didn't sound good back then and the first thing I thought while watching the video is "What a great tone!"