when the dust settles on the new Gibson Historic price hike, and if it is sustained..

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by SW33THAND5, May 5, 2015.

1. SW33THAND5

SW33THAND5 Member

....and if this is sustained for the years to come, did my 07 CR7's resale, and most all past historics for that matter just get a price hike?

Although, i am not selling. Its a wonderful inspiration to play.

What thinks the masses?

2. 73Fender

73Fender Member

I think used CS prices in general are going up and have been in the past few months. Feeling good about my used deals.

3. M40A1

M40A1 Member

At the end of the day if there's guitars left in the warehouse then price exceeded demand and Gibson will need to adjust. If supply equals demand, or if demand exceeds supply, then Gibson's new marketing scheme will prevail.

4. nbtrue

nbtrue Supporting Member

While I can see where people will try and ride this when selling their R9's, R8's, etc, I'm not sure thats really going to last/work. I've actually been seeing the prices going down on them lately. In the last month I've seen two 2013/14 R9's go for under $4K on ebay. I think one was like $3600 or so and it had a pretty nice top actually. I just saw someone on either here or reverb sell an 2013 R6 or R7 for $2700 or best offer. And those are all the newer versions with the newer appointments (other than obviously the newest "True Historic"), so they would seem to be the more desirable versions. Now those are definitely the lower end of the sales prices, and more often than not they are generally selling for a bit more than that, but whenever I see ones that are listed on the higher end, or even in the middle of the pack for that matter, unless they are some special version, or have an incredible top, they just don't end up selling. I'll see the same guitars listed for months on end not selling. I know first hand because I sold an 2013 R9 last year with a very nice top, and it too took quite a while and quite a few price drops. I think I ended up selling it for $4200?? Certainly not the $5K that I wanted originally, and obviously much less than I bought it for new. I would say that the market reality for selling a R9 these days is in the upper $3K to lower $4K if you want it to actually sell. Knock roughly $1K off if its any of the other R's. Just because Gibson went nuts with their prices this year, I don't think that means that the normal consumer trying to buy a used reissue is going to now be willing to pay the premium also. I know I won't. The things are already crazy expensive as is. I can see people trying to get more because of this, but I just don't see it actually happening for the most part once push comes to shove.