When the Levee Breaks

Sam Hill

Led Zep was never my favorite band, and I believe Jimmy Page would gladly steal the pennies off a dead man's eyes, but damn if some of his arrangements didn't sound amazing and gigantic, and WtLB is a perfect example. The man was a wizard in the studio.

Last edited:

tonewoody

A fantastic example of effective mixing. (Zeppelin version)

Intro drums, cranked, massive... memorable.

Vocals come in, drums fall back in the mix leaving space but somehow the 'massive drums' manage to stay in the listeners mind.
A brilliant production sleight of hand.

ant_riv

Silver Supporting Member
Well, the subject of borrowing or influenced seems quite straightforward and unarguable.

However, the ingenuity of incredible interpretations is also unarguable.
It’s a shame they didn’t cite appropriately, but I sure am glad for the music produced.

I Am Misery

I think I first heard that drum beat on the opening to the 1st Beastie Boys record. I hadn't become a Zep fan as of then...I was only 11 though
same here, though my parents had 'Led Zeppelin IV' and i'm sure i had heard it on the radio at some point by then. same with 'The Ocean', which they used on 'She's Crafty'. Sabbath too, never heard 'Sweetleaf' until a few years later.

Last edited:

teleman1

Silver Supporting Member
As I have brought my analyses on the Reality of Zep. I have pointed out the the first two albums were fantastic.But that exhausted their talents quite a bit. They couldn't follow Jeff Beck anymore, but their albums continued. There were however always one or 2 outstanding cuts amongst the filler. Funny my two favorite zep song are about water; The Levee & The Ocean

rauchman

As I have brought my analyses on the Reality of Zep. I have pointed out the the first two albums were fantastic.But that exhausted their talents quite a bit. They couldn't follow Jeff Beck anymore, but their albums continued. There were however always one or 2 outstanding cuts amongst the filler. Funny my two favorite zep song are about water; The Levee & The Ocean
Pure subjectivity.....

Here's my subjectivity....

I don't agree with your assertion, as LZ III is a fantastic "album", as is LZ IV (Zofo), actually, just about all of LZ's albums are great albums. They all bring something different. Don't buy that the 1st two LZ albums were Jeff Beck clones either. LZ III and LZ II are my fav's, although the rawness of LZ I is crazy good too.

On topic....
As others have said, Page was a wizard in the studio. Every song of every album has it's own identity sonically.

supergenius365

Silver Supporting Member
Played that song with a 1 off band in college. What a total blast to play. We had a harp player as well who just put the icing on the cake.

Trending Topics