When to contest a speeding ticket

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by wrxplayer, Dec 7, 2016.

1. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

I got my first speeding ticket in over 20 years on Sunday and it was a biggie (27 mph over the speed limit). I had no points on my license beforehand. I was guilty and am fine paying the fine. My question is at what point does it make sense to "contest" a ticket with a view to reducing points?

[Interestingly, I got four unsolicited letters from lawyers today as a result but I'd rather hear personal feedback than a sales pitch at this point.]

2. RTR

RTR Supporting Member

When you are A not guilty, B are close to losing your license and hope to avoid it, C it would affect employment.
    IMO

71strat, RCM78, derekd and 4 others like this.
  3. 65DuoSonic

65DuoSonic Member

Can't you attend traffic school to keep the points off your record? That's how it works here in California. In fact, I'll be attending next month. :(

71strat, Phletch, derekd and 3 others like this.
  4. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

Ask Sammy...

crambone, Jamalot and derekd like this.
  5. Headshok

Headshok Member

I can tell you how to get out of a ticket 50% of the time. When an officer starts patrol, and he is using radar, he has to calibrate the machine. There is a series of steps involved. The Dept should have a logbook on that radar detector dated, signed off on every time it is calibrated. The officer have to be trained on that specific machine. If not, they aren't qualified to operate it. The 50% comes in because you don't know which depts spent the money to train their officers. Small depts will sometimes train only one officer. Just ask to see the calibration log for that particular unit and to see the officers certification. If they can't provide either, you walk with nothing happening. Sometimes you can have a certified officer operating a calibrated instrument but he did not sign off and you walk on that as well.

NewLeaf09, pbmw, coltonius and 3 others like this.
  6. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

I would contest every single ticket, no matter what. Make the state prove their charges. It's your right. You are only guilty if you confess or fail to beat the state. The flow of traffic here is never less than 15 over the limit and 27 over is rarely unsafe. Reschedule your court date a few times to throw the cop off. If you weren't rude to him, he'll forget about it and not bother to show just for your case.

Minte, Mayo5, Phletch and 7 others like this.
  7. Sam Karnatz

Sam Karnatz Member

In some states, you can just go to traffic school to have the points removed........not sure if your ins. co. can still see 'em......
    I got one a few years ago, and went.....forget if my rates went up but 'school' was only an extra hundred or so above the ticket.

Have a friend who works hauling audio gear up and down I-5 for a sound reinforcement co. It made sense for him to contest his ticket b/c he has a commercial license. I forget how he came out financially, but he had the ticket wiped...pretty sure court & legal fees were involved. But he's still haulin gear.

This is a 'fleecing', so some financial blood will be spilled......

Grubgoat and Killed_by_Death like this.
  8. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Speak to a lawyer. NJ has a method by which qualifying drivers can pay a much larger fine and get a two point violation. Which I'm assuming is less that the points you would get if you just paid the fine.

Even if you do not choose this method, you should always contest. Many municipalities routinely bargain down points/violations if you just show up and tell them you'll plead not guilty. That slows the speedy (and highly profitable) process of guilty pleas, so you can often bargain down. Not always. As in NYC. There, you're screwed. Same thing in some real close by suburbs in NJ. They'll call your bluff ... the income from this whole process is so big, they'll do anything not to lose the dollars.

What's really at stake is higher insurance costs over a 3 to 5 year period. It can get costly. Also, many penalty points have gone way up. I'm remembering in NY state decades ago, speeding was 3 points, up until you got to reckless driving. Now it goes by mph ... go fast enough, and you could be looking at 5 to 7 points. My last speeding ticket in NY was 5 points, for 21 miles over IIRC. That big leap up puts you squarely in the danger zone. Max points on license have not gone up. One more such ticket (assuming you just paid the first), could make life terribly expensive, or even cause suspension.
    MD

9. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

Traffic tickets are all about Money.

Contest it and they'll lower it to a non moving violation and you'll pay a big fine. They just want your money :aok

10. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

I would definitely contest it. I didn't about 5 years ago, and I'm probably still paying a higher premium for my automobile insurance.

sixstringfuel, Scrapperz and JBid like this.
  11. lousyatit

lousyatit Supporting Member

I've used this tactic, ask for as many continuances as you can.

Phletch likes this.
  12. 0018g

0018g Member

Yup-it's a money game. I contested one once when I was absolutely innocent and was railroaded from start to finish.

My only consolation was that cop was fired shortly thereafter for drinking on the job. Good riddance to a worthless liar.

I never contested the ones where I was guilty.

13. JBid

JBid Member

Always contest tickets. An amazing number of times, the cop doesn't show up or made a significant factual error. Then there are mitigating circumstances: Your honor, I'm dyslexic and when I saw the speed limit sign, I looked at my speedometer to make sure I was going 52 miles per hour. ( If say, you got nailed for 52 in a 25!)

14. JCM 800

JCM 800 Member

This. It's your right in this country to go to court. Innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. What do you have to lose? You win then great, you lose you pay the ticket just like you would have if you didn't go to court.

15. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

It depends on your goal. If it's just saving money on the fine, don't bother. The judge can add court costs that make it more expensive than the ticket even after any reduction you negotiate.

RTR, Grubgoat and bgmacaw like this.
  16. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

I agree, but it also depends on the location. There are some suburban towns around Atlanta that will pull this nonsense quick. Other locations aren't quite as aggressive about adding another charge to get the fine.

Since we have an "anti speed trap" law in Georgia some of these towns that depended on ticket revenue actually like it if they can get fine for a non-speeding violation since the restrictions only apply to speeding. Recently they've been aggressively enforcing anti-texting laws, to the point of having cops walking down the medians near busy intersections handing out tickets as they went.

17. Scrapperz

Scrapperz Member

Be careful out there. If your bad on the road and it gets recorded your destined to a life of high insurance bills. Then there's the people who just don't give **** and drive without insurance. :confused:

Fishyfishfish likes this.
  18. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

If you break the rules, you break the rules.

19. mattball826

mattball826 Member

If you drive that much over, they assume you have done so for as long as you have been driving. You just haven't been caught until now.

Scrapperz and Jamalot like this.
  20. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

You're not guilty until the state proves their charges or you plead guilty. In AZ speed limits have no meaning unless there was a road study done where the speed limit sign is. And you'd be surprised how many sections of road have had no study done. Almost no one knows this, but you can bet plenty of people plead guilty to speeding, when it's legally impossible to have been speeding because the state did not follow the law when posting a speed limit. Make the state work for your money. It helps keep them honest.