When to go with a 100w or 20w gig amp

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Felipe Veiga, Mar 21, 2018.

1. The Funk

The Funk Member

This also depends on how you are running the LSS. The effects loop adds an extra gain stage that can also be overdriven, so the position of that knob in the back has a big impact on how much headroom you have.

Many players, myself included, like to run the effects loop volume at the "+" sign, about 1:00 on the knob. This will limit your clean headroom somewhat, but also brings the drive channel to life at lower volumes. If you disable the effects loop (which also disables the overall master and solo knobs - which is why I don't do it), it becomes a much louder and cleaner amp. Lowering the effects send knob has a similar effect, but not as pronounced as its still running through an additional gain stage.

2. p19978

p19978 Member

3. Calebz

Calebz Member

I've been gigging with 1 or 2 50w tube heads for a while. Recently started the transition to ~20w class D heads. The final straw was lugging my ~50 pound heads up and down a million stairs after driving 250 miles for a show and not being able to turn them up past 1.2

At that volume there is not a huge sound quality difference between my tube amps and my little amps. So screw it. Instead of 50-100 pounds of heads, I'm carrying 5 pounds of heads and no one knows the difference.

Jason Fieldhouse likes this.
  4. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Silver Supporting Member

I take it you guys aren't playing with a 5 piece horn section. I've tried a variety of set ups and I will never again get on that stage with anything less than the 40 watt Bassman or the 55 watt Knucklehead. Without the horns I could possibly scrape by with a 30 watt solid state power amp...... maybe.

Plexiglass and Lef T like this.
  5. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

When we play our normal sized stages (32x12) then I go with my 100W JCM800. If it’s a small stage or jam I just bring a little 20W Vox whatever.